PCI-E 1x for GPU

Go to solution Solved by LapFox,

So, to clarify the answer for this topic:

Using a 1x slot on a graphics card when using it for compute uses, eg Mining, BOINC or F@H, then performance will not be affected by the reduced bandwidth. Bandwidth does not decide the speed the chip works at, neither an increase or decrease. The only bandwidth that will be used is when the chip is assigned its work. Once that's been done, it will only send its solutions through PCI-E. 

Using a 1x slot on a graphics card when using it for gaming will decrease performance. This is because the frame to render is being sent constantly, and reduced bandwidth won't allow as many frame requests to be sent to the card.

Everybody enjoy this, as it means you can have obscene rigs with 6 cards or more if your motherboard is E-ATX and has more PCI-E slots (Either 1x, 4x or whatever else).

Remember, using a 1x slot will decrease your gaming performance.

i commented on that before

there is a way to short the motherboard into recognizing it as a graphics card

like what is shown here

oh ok well would it affect the performance there is a difference in the speed of a 16x and a 1x slot

i7-4930k   3xEvga gtx 780OC DC2 3gb    32gb corsair vengeance 2133mhz    asus rampage 4 extreme black  ~2 tb of ssd space

my speedtest 1932mbit down / 497mbit up  custom water cooled

oh ok well would it affect the performance there is a difference in the speed of a 16x and a 1x slot

unfortunately that's what i'm trying to find out

current PC:
/|| Case: coolermaster cm690 windowed || Motherboard: gigabyte GAZ68XP-UD3 || CPU: i5 2500 || RAM: 2 random samsung 4GB dims || GPU: GTX470 || PSU: coolmax 850w || Storage: segate 1TB + 60GB ssd cache (intel RST) || GPU CPU cooled by custom cooling loop ||\

unfortunately that's what i'm trying to find out

ok well i can answer that what card would u be using it with like graphics card

i7-4930k   3xEvga gtx 780OC DC2 3gb    32gb corsair vengeance 2133mhz    asus rampage 4 extreme black  ~2 tb of ssd space

my speedtest 1932mbit down / 497mbit up  custom water cooled

For mining you will not see any performance difference using a 1x slot compared to a 16x. Using every single PCI slot available on a motherboard is recommended as it allows you to save money by not requiring multiple motherboards/cpu/ram. You will need multiple PSU's to power them all likely, unless you get an expensive 1500 watt PSU. I'd recommend 2 cheaper 750 watt for multi gpu set ups.

You may consider powering the cable via a molex cable instead of allowing it to pull from slot itself to reduce stress on the motherboard.

Here's an image I snagged off of google. As you can see, this set up uses many gpu's per motherboard and makes use of likely all PCI slots.

http://img.scoop.it/EQ4iFQAH2UTQ4I_L6AT6Jzl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVaiQDB_Rd1H6kmuBWtceBJ

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

RuecanOnRails, on 08 Jul 2013 - 01:49 AM, said:

For mining you will not see any performance difference using a 1x slot compared to a 16x. Using every single PCI slot available on a motherboard is recommended as it allows you to save money by not requiring multiple motherboards/cpu/ram. You will need multiple PSU's to power them all likely, unless you get an expensive 1500 watt PSU. I'd recommend 2 cheaper 750 watt for multi gpu set ups.

You may consider powering the cable via a molex cable instead of allowing it to pull from slot itself to reduce stress on the motherboard.

Here's an image I snagged off of google. As you can see, this set up uses many gpu's per motherboard and makes use of likely all PCI slots.

http://img.scoop.it/EQ4iFQAH2UTQ4I_L6AT6Jzl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVaiQDB_Rd1H6kmuBWtceBJ

but im gonna personally test it myself now some other time and get back to you guys

xD

Edited by AhmedFromKSA
current PC:
/|| Case: coolermaster cm690 windowed || Motherboard: gigabyte GAZ68XP-UD3 || CPU: i5 2500 || RAM: 2 random samsung 4GB dims || GPU: GTX470 || PSU: coolmax 850w || Storage: segate 1TB + 60GB ssd cache (intel RST) || GPU CPU cooled by custom cooling loop ||\

So, to clarify the answer for this topic:

Using a 1x slot on a graphics card when using it for compute uses, eg Mining, BOINC or F@H, then performance will not be affected by the reduced bandwidth. Bandwidth does not decide the speed the chip works at, neither an increase or decrease. The only bandwidth that will be used is when the chip is assigned its work. Once that's been done, it will only send its solutions through PCI-E. 

Using a 1x slot on a graphics card when using it for gaming will decrease performance. This is because the frame to render is being sent constantly, and reduced bandwidth won't allow as many frame requests to be sent to the card.

Everybody enjoy this, as it means you can have obscene rigs with 6 cards or more if your motherboard is E-ATX and has more PCI-E slots (Either 1x, 4x or whatever else).

Remember, using a 1x slot will decrease your gaming performance.

| CPU: Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.26v | GPU: AMD R9 290X @ 1090MHz |

| RAM: 2x4GB Samsung Green @ 2133MHz OC |

| PSU: Corsair RM850 | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | 

Mining is a waste of time and money.... Unless you're going to hold your coins for like 5 years until they are worth 100$ each.

i want to die

Also be aware, some mobo's "mess" with the electrical connections - so enabling the third PCIE x16 on a mobo can disable all x1 slots, conversly, using some specific x1's will disable others. BEFORE buying a mobo for multi GPU mining/folding, read the manual on any specific in regards to this.

Specifically, the MSI Z77 45 model has this limitation, is you use the third x16 slot, all x1's are disabled. Another board I have, when you use the primary x16, the corresponding x1 is disabled.

Be aware of this - you card may not be broke - the mobo just isn't even registering the slot because of some config you have.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99