Why do buisnesses use windows xp

hey guys i have noticed that a lot of companies still use windows xp for their operating system and some times really outdated computers why do they not upgrade?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It works for what they have to do, so they have no reason to change it. They will upgrade once it breaks or they need to do something that XP can't handle. 

Edited by Cacao

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Because most of them either are too cheap, or don't have the budget to update.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

they do it because it is too expensive to upgrade all of the computers every few years so they try to stretch it out as long as they can.

Desktop CPU: Intel i5 2500K Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H GPU: EVGA 660TI 2GB Ram: Kingston 8GB 1333Mhz PSU: Unknown 500w Case: Unknown Hard drive:  WD Black 1TB Heatsink: stock OSWindows 8.1

I know my pc sucks but it does what I want it to do. 

Laptop Dell E6320 OSWindows 8.1 / Ubuntu gnome 15.04

They would have thousands of computers, so it would cost so much to upgrade  their site license to something like Win 8 or 7. They would also have to train staff who wouldn't be comfortable with the upgrade and a change to their system.

I work in a hotel and once someone removed desktop icon shortcuts from the accountants computers and they freaked out as they weren't able to open programs; they didn't know that the start menu even existed. 

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz | Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz | MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr II OC | Samsung Evo 850 250GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Corsair 600T White | Corsair H100 | Corsair HX850 | Corsair SP120 QE | Asus MX279H | LG Flatron E2251 | Logitech G502 | Das Keyboard Ultimate 4 Browns | Fiio E10 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Corsair SP2500 | HTC One M8 | MacBook Air (Mid 2013) i5 8GB 128GB

You know how much money it costs to buy 500+ Windows licenses, and then the productivity drop until everybody has relearnt how to use their computer?

They freaked out as they weren't able to open programs; they didn't know that the start menu even existed.

The target demographic for Windows 8? :D

Edited by Fetzie

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

It's a very stable OS that suits the company's needs and at a low price

Edited by CrabCreations

Although they use it for their client computers. You also have to remember that servers have to be compatible and vice versa with the client OS. It is expensive to manage and maintain both client and server based systems and usually it is just unfeasible to upgrade.

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

First of all upgrading all computers of  a big company to Win8 for example is a huge investement. Followed by another investement to train the employees to use the new version of Windows and the decrease in productivity that goes along with learning a new iteration of Windows in the beginning.

Google for example uses Windows and Goobuntu [Google optimized Ubuntu 12.04] and they do only upgrade it between 1-2 LTS versions because updating costs them a shit load of money and takes around 6 months.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

it may be because it is the most used operating system in the world and most reliable as proven time and again and all other OS are either new and flashy or are old and unusable and corporates need the reliability and the functionality not the luxuries offered by other OS's and a new license is not worth the money so they use the cheap and fool proof OS for their systems 

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

Also a lot of them probably don't know that there's something newer and better.

Its not worth the effort of money to upgrade. I think the same goes for telephone systems. Many companies have really old ones because they work just fine and the cost of upgrade is just not worth it.

well thats not always the case

many people in my country  (businesses) stick to windows xp because when most of them switched to vista it was hell

so they just didnt bother

if it aint broke

dont fix it

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Cheap and most business software is made for windows.

Some business software's don't update so often and with some updates aren't free of charge. So if OS is running on closed network anyway there's no need to pay for update. Win8 isn't really optimal option for companies anyway. Atleast in company I'm at summerjob, they prefer win7 with new machines.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Probably because it works perfectly fine, it's still supported till next year so no point in spending the money updating it just yet.

Also XP is still a pretty good OS

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

XP is still a really good OS and there is sometimes software that is not supported on newer OS'es

Fun fact from me: My school just upgraded from XP pro to 7 Enterprise last week.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

XP is still a really good OS and there is sometimes software that is not supported on newer OS'es

Fun fact from me: My school just upgraded from XP pro to 7 Enterprise last week.

My school went to windows 7 last year, and have just begun to upgrade to 8... aha

Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce, 16GB G.Skill - NT 1600MHz, 250GB Samsung Evo SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate HDD, Corsair H100i CPU cooler w/Noctua Fans, 4x SP120, Fractal Design Define R4, LG W224T, Func MS-3, Apple Numeric Keyboard

-   BBR4 Hackintosh   - Server Rig

1. cost of windows licenses

2. cost of staff training

3. losses due to untrained staff

4. Windows Vista is/was terrible.

------

With the end of support for Windows XP next year, many big corporations started to transit to Windows 7 though.

------

5. The OS doess't really matter that much after all for most of the work people do.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

My school went to windows 7 last year, and have just begun to upgrade to 8... aha

Yeah, we just got new Dell laptops too, better than the slow Lenovo thinkpad machines.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

they do it because it is too expensive to upgrade all of the computers every few years so they try to stretch it out as long as they can.

That is actually not really true. Most bigger companies change their hardware every 3 (to 4) years anyway. Business though often have seperate contracts for software and hardware.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

That is actually not really true. Most bigger companies change their hardware every 3 (to 4) years anyway. Business though often have seperate contracts for software and hardware.

Maybe big companies, but alot of companies aren't big, right.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Maybe big companies, but alot of companies aren't big, right.

Smaller companies often have even less budget for those things and often no dedicated IT department to handle the problems.

Because a lot of the software works for XP, and they work very well, so upgrading windows tends to have issues with these older software. So why doesn't the software get updated? Because it works perfectly on XP. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 -