Need new Laptop for study

DotoreN

Hello,

I'm going to start a software programming study of 4years in The Netherlands, i'm relatively new in programming thus like to hear your advice on which laptop I should buy, i'm not sure whether I should go for mac or windows, normal laptop, macbook, ultrabook or anything basically (i'm new with mac, so I think I should go for windows), but i'm open for anything. i'll be carrying it around everyday.

Requirements/specs:

- around 1000 euro budget

- i5 or i7

- 8gb ram

- i'd like atleast 500gb HDD (os on SSD prefered)

This is what I like to see in my laptop/macbook/ultrabook and like to hear your recommendations and why you recommend it. I'm looking for a laptop that lasts my whole study.

Thanks in advance!

The Netherlands

Which college will you be attending? I'm in my third year right now.

You'll need any laptop with 8GB RAM and you'll be fine honestly.

Which college will you be attending? I'm in my third year right now.

You'll need any laptop with 8GB RAM and you'll be fine honestly.

Hanze Hogeschool HBO ICT-Software Engineering in Groningen.

Hanze Hogeschool HBO ICT-Software Engineering in Groningen.

Ah okay. As I said, GPU doesn't matter. i5 or i7 is fine with 8GB RAM. 

Rest doesn't matter.

I'm using a laptop, i7, 6gb RAM and a trashy GPU and Visual Studio etc runs fine, and Unity too. You won't be going any more intensive than that.

Hello,

I'm going to start a software programming study of 4years in The Netherlands, i'm relatively new in programming thus like to hear your advice on which laptop I should buy, i'm not sure whether I should go for mac or windows, normal laptop, macbook, ultrabook or anything basically (i'm new with mac, so I think I should go for windows), but i'm open for anything. i'll be carrying it around everyday.

Requirements/specs:

- around 1000 euro budget

- i5 or i7

- 8gb ram

- i'd like atleast 500gb HDD (os on SSD prefered)

This is what I like to see in my laptop/macbook/ultrabook and like to hear your recommendations and why you recommend it. I'm looking for a laptop that lasts my whole study.

Thanks in advance!

How about this? http://goo.gl/zSNB0M

Numbre

chromebook? are you doing anything that a chrome book can't do?

if not get it. 

id check the compatibility of the software you willbe using.

probably need windows though

it has to have a ssd boot drive

otherwise after 1 month - 3 months  it  will feel slughish

Notebook: HP 650 ( core i3 and Intel HD 3000 graphics); since you've mentioned programming, I would suggest a Lenovo ( not sure which one, but it is a quality laptop).

Keep in mind the variety of i5 and i7 on notebooks, all notebook i5s are dual cores with ht and turbo boost but i7s can be dual or quad cores and manufacturers will try to trick you on this.

How about this? http://goo.gl/zSNB0M

chromebook? are you doing anything that a chrome book can't do?

if not get it. 

id check the compatibility of the software you willbe using.

probably need windows though

it has to have a ssd boot drive

otherwise after 1 month - 3 months  it  will feel slughish

Yeah i'll def be looking for a SSD, atleast a SSD for my Operation system (windows).

@ Number; Thanks for the link, that laptop looks pretty neat. 500GB is fine, but isn't it a problem that the laptop only has a SSD? I thought you'd not like to write a lot on the SSD, especially like small files as this will shorten the lifespan of the ssd.

I'm not sure whether I should go for full SSD, or Partial SSD & HDD yet because of this.

Keep in mind the variety of i5 and i7 on notebooks, all notebook i5s are dual cores with ht and turbo boost but i7s can be dual or quad cores and manufacturers will try to trick you on this.

What do you recommend i5 or i7 for a budget of 1000euro and my "goal" as described in my OP.

Yeah i'll def be looking for a SSD, atleast a SSD for my Operation system (windows).

@ Number; Thanks for the link, that laptop looks pretty neat. 500GB is fine, but isn't it a problem that the laptop only has a SSD? I thought you'd not like to write a lot on the SSD, especially like small files as this will shorten the lifespan of the ssd.

I'm not sure whether I should go for full SSD, or Partial SSD & HDD yet because of this.

A partial SSD/HDD might cost you more. Ill see what I can find though. :)

Numbre

A partial SSD/HDD might cost you more. Ill see what I can find though. :)

I'm not sure what is better, SSD only or SSD/HD. But won't my SSD be dead or slow if I use it everyday for 4years straight due to the many writings on the SSD?

I'm not sure what is better, SSD only or SSD/HD. But won't my SSD be dead or slow if I use it everyday for 4years straight due to the many writings on the SSD?

Okay let me break it down for you. HDD: More Space but slower readings and writings. SSD: Faster but smaller storage. You decide.

Numbre

Okay let me break it down for you. HDD: More Space but slower readings and writings. SSD: Faster but smaller storage. You decide.

So I don't have to worry about writing many small files on a SSD for 4years? I myself have my OS on a SSD, and the games etc I do on my HDD, because someone recommended me to not use the SSD for that, as it will simply be slower each time you write on your SSD.

If this is not the case or a problem, I don't mind by going SSD only.

Anyone else has recommendations on what laptop I can/should buy?

What do you recommend i5 or i7 for a budget of 1000euro and my "goal" as described in my OP.

Well if you're carrying it around all day you would probably want to consider an ultrabook, which generally use ULV processors (all dual cores). I'd grab an i5 model as they turbo for better performance (usually 600mhz+ over an i3) and are cheaper than the i7s which usually turbo 200mhz higher.

I just bought a Surface Pro 3 for college. I got the i5, 256gb version. I love how light it is, and the battery life is great too. It is very expensive though, and the top corner hearts up quite a bit under any sort of load. The only other issue I have with it is the lack of dependability. It only has one USB3 and a mini displayport.