GPU fan - 2 pin cable with resistor

Dogway

Hello, I would like to know if there's such thing as a 2 pin to 2 pin cable with resistor, or a 2 pin to 3 pin cable with resistor.

This is obviously for the 750 Ti GPU fan since it's slightly noisy.

Another option would be a 2 pin to 3 pin cable, then a 3 pin to 3 pin LNA cable that I already own, but looks like clunky plugging too many cables together...

This is obviously due to my lack of knowledge in cutting wires, soldering and stuff... so if I can avoid this all the better.

Yes, to raise it only. The fan is noisy at idle, at 40%, it can't go lower.

3pin to 2pin adapters can be found at moDYI and maybe other places too.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

How do I control the speed of the fan with that? It's a 2 pin fan, so I have no RPM nor duty % feedback.

How do I control the speed of the fan with that? It's a 2 pin fan, so I have no RPM nor duty % feedback.

It's not the best solution so you wouldn't know, it's bacillary manual control or software control via your motherboard and a temp sensor hopefully on the GPU. For GPU fans they don't have RPM readings the RPM you see is usually an estimate of what the RPM will be based on the voltage being provided to the fan since they know it's characteristic or profile.

As you said a resistor will work and is probably the best situation if you still want the GPU to be the device that monitors and controls the fan speed adaptively.

Sorry, I got a bit lost with your post.

What cable with resistor do you recommend then?

Sorry, I got a bit lost with your post.

What cable with resistor do you recommend then?

Last time I took a look at low noise adapters for fans I think it was most resistors they use are between 10-100Ohms, but it really depends on how many amps (current) the fan uses and the voltage that the fan runs at. Personally I'd make a custom adapter if you don't want to splice into the original fan cables, since I've only seen 3 pin low noise adapters.

It's tricky...

If I put a resistor that halves the power/speed, I get a nice 20% RPM in idle, but then a max of 50% which is too low.

Maybe a resistor that only reduces the current to 30% could be better. But then I'm not sure if at 30% duty cycle it is quiet enough...

Maybe swapping the fan to a 3 pin one might be a better idea...

It's tricky...

If I put a resistor that halves the power/speed, I get a nice 20% RPM in idle, but then a max of 50% which is too low.

Maybe a resistor that only reduces the current to 30% could be better. But then I'm not sure if at 30% duty cycle it is quiet enough...

Maybe swapping the fan to a 3 pin one might be a better idea...

If you change the fan or the connector to a 3 pin it will give more options on how to control the fan, but low noise adapters, or using software to control the fan is your best bet.  :)

But simply a 2 to 3 connector won't give me any control right? since it has no RPM feedback, speedfan won't detect the fan and hence I will lack control, or am I wrong?

But simply a 2 to 3 connector won't give me any control right? since it has no RPM feedback, speedfan won't detect the fan and hence I will lack control, or am I wrong?

I'm not too sure about speed fan's software but you can run fans without RPM feedback it will just be a voltage controlled fan, that's what most bay fan controllers do that don't have a RPM reading just some knobs.

Yes, but then, how are you supposed to control a voltage regulated fan?
In other words, if speedfan can't detect the fan, how do you tell it to spin faster when GPU is hot? I'm trying to wrap my head around it since all sounds so confusing.

Yes, but then, how are you supposed to control a voltage regulated fan?

In other words, if speedfan can't detect the fan, how do you tell it to spin faster when GPU is hot? I'm trying to wrap my head around it since all sounds so confusing.

That's an issue which is a downfall of using speedfan since it wasn't intended for something like this, I personally would suggest the low noise adapter method since it doesn't change how the cooling system on the GPU works but only lower's it's max cooling capacity and the noise on the low end. It's the easiest amount of work for the most effective gain.

Yeah, problem is with a LNA cable I need a 2 to 3 pin adaptor then the 3 pin LNA cable to mobo.

I think I might buy a third party 3 pin fan and call it a day...

Thanks for the help