1tb SSD over Small SSD + Hard Disk

AStateOfTrance

So before I built my computer I saw everyone saying get a small SSD to put windows on and a larger Hard Disk for everything else. I went straight with a 1 TB SSD, I can't possibly see any disadvantages to this. Granted I only have 1tb of storage, I think its worth it IMO

It's wayyy more expensive for the same amount of storage. Price to performance the best way to go is SSD+HDD.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

the disadvantage is that its costs a lot of money like around £300 compared a 1TB hard drive that costs £40 but i mean if u have that kind of money go ahead

Yes, it's worth it. But I'd get a hard drive and an SSD. Hard drive for files, photos, music, games I don't really need to have quick access to, etc. SSD for OS, games I need to access quick, Programs I want to open quickly, Photoshop, Lightroom etc.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Yes, it's worth it. But I'd get a hard drive and an SSD. Hard drive for files, photos, music, games I don't really need to have quick access to, etc. SSD for OS, games I need to access quick, Programs I want to open quickly, Photoshop, Lightroom etc.

Bought myself a 512GB SSD just for games. I'd say worth it. I have all my media on a 3TB HDD.

Its $120 or so for a 1tb hdd and a 256 gb drive for 1256gb of storage and its $400 for a 1tb ssd with 1000gb storage

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Loving my 1tb SSD right now, I might get a HDD in the future if I fill up my computer, I have mostly games on there and nothing more. Never had a computer open up and close down so fast before lol

Don't feel alone OP. I went with a SSD boot + SSD storage + HDD storage.

Personally id have gone 2 500's in Raid 0 for even more speed. sure your going to saturate the bus a Little  but you can usually save a few bucks as well if the drives are on sale.

but to be honest id drop a HDD in there at 1 tb for backup. just incase. it seems like money is no issue for you so why not? if that 1TB SSD bites it for whatever reason you have a backup. 

So before I built my computer I saw everyone saying get a small SSD to put windows on and a larger Hard Disk for everything else. I went straight with a 1 TB SSD, I can't possibly see any disadvantages to this. Granted I only have 1tb of storage, I think its worth it IMO

Hey AStateOfTrance,

SSDs generally have many benefits over HDDs but have two major disadvantages:
- The $/GB ratio is much bigger especially when you go over 512GB for SSDs. This is why people prefer to get a big enough SSD for their OS and more demanding applications and a HDD for the rest. To be honest, it would make little to none difference if you run a movie or play music from a SSD or from a HDD. Also storing files and media does not require fast speeds so a HDD woul make much more sense.
- If a SSD happens to fail and you have important information, it is much harder to get that data out compared to if a HDD fails. Even data recovery companies have much more trouble extracting information from failed SSDs than from failed HDDs.

Games rely on storage only for the loading times, so if you don't mind longer loading times, a HDD would be perfectly good. The 1TB SSD is a great investment, but for larger storage, I would recommend checking out some HDDs.

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

I'll definitely be picking up a 3-4 TB HDD for storage purposes, but until i start running out of space I'll keep all of my games on my SSD :D

The only advantage to getting an SSD + HDD setup is that it's cheaper and the drives are seperate; easier to navigate and find your docs and games or whatever you have.