Which Ethernet cable?

Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,

So, I just got my dad to move a router (the fifth generation Apple AirPort Extreme, I know, I hate Apple too, but I didn't buy it and it was crazy easy to set up) up to my bedroom where my PC is so I can have Ethernet. The current cable works, but the router is in my closet and I'd like to route the cables under the ~10mm clearance under the sliding door and there isn't enough slack on the cable to do that. A 15' cable should fix that. Since there's basically no price difference between Cat5, 5e, 6, 6e and 7, I figure I should just get a 15' 7 and call it a day. Is that what I should do? The router has Gigabit Ethernet, so I don't see why not, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Thanks.

Just a few considerations:

1st: "Cat 6e" isn't a real thing. It's a made up specification by various manufacturers that is neither standardized nor regulated. Cat 6a is the "augmented" (read: improved) version of Cat 6. This means that there is no guarantee what a "Cat 6e" cable is even capable of, and it also means that they can vary drastically in quality and capabilities between manufacturers. Also, Cat 7, while a standard by the IEC, is not standardized/adopted by TIA/EIA (The guys who normally standardize Ethernet Cable). Cat 6a and Cat 7 are practically identical.

For your needs, and the distance you are running, anything from Cat 5e to Cat 6a and anything in between will be acceptable. I would simply look at the prices. If there is no cost difference (or the difference is like, $1), then get the highest spec cable (eg: Cat 6a). If the price difference is more than a buck or so, then I would simply get whatever is cheapest.

5e should be fine for you in a home environment, 6 is for office or if you need consistent bandwidth/longer distance on a single cable. There are difference between the cables it just depends on speed, distance and consistency of data.

This explanation is not really accurate. Certainly, the average person likely doesn't need higher than Cat 5e right now, the various cable types have nothing to do with "office" or "home". Just what particular equipment you're using and what specs you need. Cat 6 is already recommended for home use when installing in-wall at home, and Cat 6a will very shortly become the norm, as 10 Gigabit consumer equipment starts to become more and more affordable.

Also, for the most part, distance is going to be equal for all cable types. Just about every Category cable has a max cable length of 100 meters. The only "sorta" exception to this rule is Cat 6 cable has a max length of 100 meters for Gigabit speed, and 55 meters for 10 Gigabit speed (Cat 6a brings 10 Gigabit back up to 100 meters).

Cat 5e should be sufficient for you, considering Cat6/Cat6A/Cat7 are 10Gb capable and not really suited for home environment. 

There's nothing wrong with using Cat 6+ in a home environment. They are certainly not "unsuitable" by any means. Overkill for a 15 foot patch cable? Probably, yes. But depending on the regional pricing, there is often little to no difference in cable prices. It really depends on where you live. If the price is the same, might as well get the better cable, since sooner or later, 10 Gigabit will become the new standard for home networking equipment.

However, if the prices for the OP are higher, then I do agree with you, Cat 5e is certainly suitable.

I'd get CAT 6 if the price is same. CAT 7 is overkill. Otherwise 5e all the way...

Agreed. Though Cat 7 is basically the same thing as Cat 6a, but not currently an accepted standard by TIA/EIA.

So, I just got my dad to move a router (the fifth generation Apple AirPort Extreme, I know, I hate Apple too, but I didn't buy it and it was crazy easy to set up) up to my bedroom where my PC is so I can have Ethernet. The current cable works, but the router is in my closet and I'd like to route the cables under the ~10mm clearance under the sliding door and there isn't enough slack on the cable to do that. A 15' cable should fix that. Since there's basically no price difference between Cat5, 5e, 6, 6e and 7, I figure I should just get a 15' 7 and call it a day. Is that what I should do? The router has Gigabit Ethernet, so I don't see why not, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Thanks.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

5e should be fine for you in a home environment, 6 is for office or if you need consistent bandwidth/longer distance on a single cable. There are difference between the cables it just depends on speed, distance and consistency of data.

Cat 5e should be sufficient for you, considering Cat6/Cat6A/Cat7 are 10Gb capable and not really suited for home environment. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |

I'd get CAT 6 if the price is same. CAT 7 is overkill. Otherwise 5e all the way...

Thanks.

Just a few considerations:

1st: "Cat 6e" isn't a real thing. It's a made up specification by various manufacturers that is neither standardized nor regulated. Cat 6a is the "augmented" (read: improved) version of Cat 6. This means that there is no guarantee what a "Cat 6e" cable is even capable of, and it also means that they can vary drastically in quality and capabilities between manufacturers. Also, Cat 7, while a standard by the IEC, is not standardized/adopted by TIA/EIA (The guys who normally standardize Ethernet Cable). Cat 6a and Cat 7 are practically identical.

For your needs, and the distance you are running, anything from Cat 5e to Cat 6a and anything in between will be acceptable. I would simply look at the prices. If there is no cost difference (or the difference is like, $1), then get the highest spec cable (eg: Cat 6a). If the price difference is more than a buck or so, then I would simply get whatever is cheapest.

This explanation is not really accurate. Certainly, the average person likely doesn't need higher than Cat 5e right now, the various cable types have nothing to do with "office" or "home". Just what particular equipment you're using and what specs you need. Cat 6 is already recommended for home use when installing in-wall at home, and Cat 6a will very shortly become the norm, as 10 Gigabit consumer equipment starts to become more and more affordable.

Also, for the most part, distance is going to be equal for all cable types. Just about every Category cable has a max cable length of 100 meters. The only "sorta" exception to this rule is Cat 6 cable has a max length of 100 meters for Gigabit speed, and 55 meters for 10 Gigabit speed (Cat 6a brings 10 Gigabit back up to 100 meters).

There's nothing wrong with using Cat 6+ in a home environment. They are certainly not "unsuitable" by any means. Overkill for a 15 foot patch cable? Probably, yes. But depending on the regional pricing, there is often little to no difference in cable prices. It really depends on where you live. If the price is the same, might as well get the better cable, since sooner or later, 10 Gigabit will become the new standard for home networking equipment.

However, if the prices for the OP are higher, then I do agree with you, Cat 5e is certainly suitable.

Agreed. Though Cat 7 is basically the same thing as Cat 6a, but not currently an accepted standard by TIA/EIA.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)