How should I backup my computer?

Statik

So i'm coming up on about 9 months with my rig, and I thiiiink I should be giving it a backup. I know there's your standard secondary HDD, external HDD, etc. But what other options do I have? I've heard of a NAS before, but still am not 100% sure on how they work. How affordable are they? And would they be a valid option?

Also how would backing up to a cloud/network, etc work? How would I do that?

If something like a NAS isn't too expensive, and a valid option, I'll probably set it up to backup all the computers in my house.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Well, my super ghetto excuse of a "backup" is literally manually copying the user folder to dropbox every few weeks.
One method i recommend is an external drive with crash plan running, automatically backing your stuff up.

If you get a NAS, you can also use Crash plan and set the network location; if that's your thing.

Again, crash plan has it's own cloud backup if you pay a monthly/yearly fee.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

You can certainly use a NAS to backup to - however, if it's only one PC that you're backing up, it's a waste of money. You're better off just buying an external/internal hard drive to backup to. That being said, I use a NAS for backups and streaming(including games).

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I've got my media pc with 4x tb drives, now what I plan on doing (when I get a gigabit switch cuz sky hub sucks ass) is backing up my SSD onto my 2TB hdd thats in my rig, and then that gets incrementally backed up onto the media pc. I can do that all using ease us to do backup free. And I think for the SSD I will do Daily backups, and for the HDD I will do weekly backups.
And I think that is not a bad option for backups. It would work roughly the same way with a nas.

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

You can certainly use a NAS to backup to - however, if it's only one PC that you're backing up, it's a waste of money. You're better off just buying an external/internal hard drive to backup to. That being said, I use a NAS for backups and streaming(including games).

How do you use your NAS for streaming?

If I were to get a NAS I'd be backing up probably 2 computers, and maybe a laptop?

EDIT: I forgot to include I have no idea which NAS is best, or what's good, and there is such a range in prices.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

How do you use your NAS for streaming?

If I were to get a NAS I'd be backing up probably 2 computers, and maybe a laptop?

EDIT: I forgot to include I have no idea which NAS is best, or what's good, and there is such a range in prices.

For me personally, I have my specific user account folder set up as a network drive. With that, I can use it like a normal drive. Right now, I have all my major stuff copied to it, including all my iTunes media, PSOne games(and the emulator), an older PC game(for testing), and installers archived. Whenever I play media through iTunes, it comes from there.

If you decide on a NAS, I would definitely get a mirror storage drive for every hard drive you add(of the same capacity, obviously). This allows you to keep your data in the event your main drive(s) fail(s).

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch