Corsair K95 Impressions

Just ordered my K95 RGB yesterday. For those of you who already have this keyboard, what are your thoughts on the it? Any issues with the software, hardware, broken LED's, G-keys not functioning, etc.

Have you used a Mechanical Keyboard before?

Because he had a hard drive.

I have a regular K95 and its awesome.

Only down side is dead LEDs, but it doesnt bother me much, and the RGB version is not supposed to have this issue.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Have you used a Mechanical Keyboard before?

Never, first time will be once it arrives in a few days. Currently stuck with crappy $10 rubber dome keyboard.

Never, first time will be once it arrives in a few days. Currently stuck with crappy $10 rubber dome keyboard.

Newegg? What keys?

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

I have the K95 RGB and I love it, the software is a bit buggy, and the keyboard lighting will freeze every once in a while. How I avoided this was, I set the polling rate to 2 instead of 1. If the lights do freeze though, what I do is set it to bios mode, which resets the lighting controller, than back to a polling rate of 2 and it works fine. Over all, I do love this keyboard (and mouse). Also, the LEDs are less prone to die because of the way they are mounted to the switch. They are mounted under the plastic switch to prevent static discharge to them, making them less likely to die. The G-keys seem to feel a bit different, They're on plastic, and just over all, they are different, they work, and if the CUI stops working, so do they. One more thing, when you lock or log off, the default profile is restored until unlocked or logged back on.If you force stop the utility engine, the lighting is also reverted until it is started back up.

-Nick

I have the K95 RGB and I love it, the software is a bit buggy, and the keyboard lighting will freeze every once in a while. How I avoided this was, I set the polling rate to 2 instead of 1. If the lights do freeze though, what I do is set it to bios mode, which resets the lighting controller, than back to a polling rate of 2 and it works fine. Over all, I do love this keyboard (and mouse). Also, the LEDs are less prone to die because of the way they are mounted to the switch. They are mounted under the plastic switch to prevent static discharge to them, making them less likely to die. The G-keys seem to feel a bit different, They're on plastic, and just over all, they are different, they work, and if the CUI stops working, so do they. One more thing, when you lock or log off, the default profile is restored until unlocked or logged back on.If you force stop the utility engine, the lighting is also reverted until it is started back up.

This, but I have the K65 RGB. Wish I got he Browns instead of the Reds because typing can be a bitch sometimes. So damn sensitive.

I have a potato!

I bought the K95 a month back. Its my first mechanical. I have the MX brown version. Took me a couple of weeks to stop making spelling mistakes.

The lighting software is overly fiddely but the macros and key assignment part is really easy to use.

Really enjoying it.

I have a K95 RGB with browns and i've loved it so far.  I had a few software hiccups when I first got it where the software would lock up, sometimes not startup properly, had a weird issue where 1-2 led's stopped working, and couldn't get certain parts of the macro functionality working.  A software update, firmware update, and reboot later and all of these issues are resolved and I haven't had a single problem since then.

Once you learn how to use the software, it's really not as bad as people say imo.  It's definitely not intuitive but getting past the learning curve and figuring out how to utilize all of the features took me maybe 1-2 hours, and now one of my custom profiles got put on their Hall of Fame profile site (Flames - http://gaming.corsair.com/en-us/landing/rgbfame). If you are more interested in downloading profiles instead of making them though, you'll find that the K95 doesn't have nearly as many profiles floating out there compared to the K70, but it is supposedly not that hard to convert from one to the other (haven't done this yet, so can't confirm first hand).

Probably one of my favorite things about the software is the automatic profile switching, as it not only switches lighting but macros and other assignments as well.  So you can have all of your shortcuts to frequently used programs configured on your G-Keys in a default profile, but as soon as you load up a game like WoW for example, it will switch to that profile and load up all of your game-specific G-Key assignments.  Not sure if other keyboards out there have that functionality to assign macro profiles to specific programs, but I've really liked that functionality ever since I got everything setup.

Newegg? What keys?

Got it off of Newegg for $190 with brown switches.

Got it off of Newegg for $190 with brown switches.

Nice, I just received my k70 with brown switches today. Can't wait to play around with it.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB