What's the min power supply i need with my plan?

nickpokesyou

I plan to go with these item below, may i know how much big my PSU is needed? i need feedback on PSU and Price as cheap & reliable.

Case - Cooler Master Enforcer

CPU - i7 3770k

Motherboard - Asus Maximum Gene V

GPU - MSI 7970 Or GTX 670

HDD - 1

SSD - 1

DVDRW - 1

CPU Cooler - Antec Kuhler 920

RAM - Corsair ven 1600 (2x4GB)

i think thats all.

I'd recommend a 500w for that system but you could easily get away with a 450w

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

something like a thermaltake tr2 500w wouldn't be a bad choice, it's quite inexpensive too

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

is that enough? i saw people's unboxing, the box stated min 650w PSU for MSI 7970, is that true?

A high end rig these days, like yours, would be lucky to pull 400w from the wall at a ball to the wall maximum. So you're better off with a smaller psu that will perform at peak efficiency (~50%) under gaming load and will still fully power the system in any scenario :)

In an intensive gaming load the system would pull between 200w and 300w meaning the psu will actually perform at its rated 80% efficiency... thus saving you money on power bills.

*edit: by high end systems i meant systems with 1 graphics card :P obviously sli will pull more power

650w would give you a little breathing room so you don't run into problems, having more power will do you better then trying to push the minimum watts you need for your rig

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

is that enough? i saw people's unboxing, the box stated min 650w PSU for MSI 7970, is that true?

Yes it's true, Systems don't use a whole lot 500w would be the perfect psu for this build

650w would give you a little breathing room so you don't run into problems' date=' having more power will do you better then trying to push the minimum watts you need for your rig[/quote']

You can go with a 650w if you want, if you push big overclocks the system load will run this thing around its peak efficiency :) but the guy wanted a cheap one.

It's up to him to decide really :P

A high end rig these days' date=' like yours, would be lucky to pull 400w from the wall at a ball to the wall maximum. So you're better off with a smaller psu that will perform at peak efficiency (~50%) under gaming load and will still fully power the system in any scenario :) In an intensive gaming load the system would pull between 200w and 300w meaning the psu will actually perform at its rated 80% efficiency... thus saving you money on power bills. *edit: by high end systems i meant systems with 1 graphics card :P obviously sli will pull more power [/quote']

if lets a i now having the same system with 650w, will it be better?

Next question is,

650W is it enough to SLI?

650w would give you a little breathing room so you don't run into problems' date=' having more power will do you better then trying to push the minimum watts you need for your rig[/quote']

650W is it enough to SLI?

You can also check here - they have a calculator for your PSU...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

650w would give you a little breathing room so you don't run into problems' date=' having more power will do you better then trying to push the minimum watts you need for your rig[/quote'] 650W is it enough to SLI?

650w is plenty to sli. you will have no problems with that

You can also check here - they have a calculator for your PSU...

i will check it out when i'm free. thanks alot. is it accurate?

650w would give you a little breathing room so you don't run into problems' date=' having more power will do you better then trying to push the minimum watts you need for your rig[/quote'] You can go with a 650w if you want, if you push big overclocks the system load will run this thing around its peak efficiency :) but the guy wanted a cheap one. It's up to him to decide really :P

running it at the PSU peak efficiency is better right ?

650w would give you a little breathing room so you don't run into problems' date=' having more power will do you better then trying to push the minimum watts you need for your rig[/quote'] 650W is it enough to SLI?

Thanks bro :)

650w would give you a little breathing room so you don't run into problems' date=' having more power will do you better then trying to push the minimum watts you need for your rig[/quote'] You can go with a 650w if you want, if you push big overclocks the system load will run this thing around its peak efficiency :) but the guy wanted a cheap one. It's up to him to decide really :P
running it at the PSU peak efficiency is better right ?

Yes it is, but if you wanna run in peak efficiency in sli/crossfire you wanna look into 750w.

The OCZ Fatal1ty 750w modular is a nice unit and is a good value

650w is still enough to sli though :P just hard to find a psu with enough pci-e connectors at that wattage

Thanks bro :)

no worries

I would suggest AT LEAST a 650 watt PSU and a 750 watt PSU would definitely be desirable. You want to plan ahead as PSUs last way longer than any other hardware, cept for maybe SSDs and HDDs. Do you plan on having a high power system in the future? And questions like that. PSUs are your biggest investment in a PC and you should NEVER skimp out on it.

I would suggest AT LEAST a 650 watt PSU and a 750 watt PSU would definitely be desirable. You want to plan ahead as PSUs last way longer than any other hardware, cept for maybe SSDs and HDDs. Do you plan on having a high power system in the future? And questions like that. PSUs are your biggest investment in a PC and you should NEVER skimp out on it.
He won't draw more than 475w at peak with that system. Why so much power?

i have no clue as to why so many people are misled on pc power consumption

Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

• GeForce GTX 670 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500~550 Watt power supply unit.
  • GeForce GTX 670 2x SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 700 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
  • GeForce GTX 670 3x SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 850 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

• Radeon HD 7970 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit.
  • Radeon HD 7970 Crossfire - On your average system the cards require you to have a 750 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

• GeForce GTX 670 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500~550 Watt power supply unit.
  • GeForce GTX 670 2x SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 700 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
  • GeForce GTX 670 3x SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 850 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

• Radeon HD 7970 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit.
  • Radeon HD 7970 Crossfire - On your average system the cards require you to have a 750 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

thanks bro :)

They always think "Oh it's better to be safe than sorry" not realising that the system will never even utilise about 50% of the power.

I'm just trying to keep his options open. Having an extra 100-200 watts on your PSU keeps your options open incase he ends up with a higher power system in the future. It's not that much more expensive and it saves a lot of headache if he ends up with a 500-600 watt system in the future with a 450 or 550 watt PSU.