AMD Radeon R9 290X vs nVidia GeForce GTX 970

tamag901
Go to solution Solved by Prastupok,

-snip-

First: There is no guarantee any card will run things maxed for the next 2 years. Futureproofing is a joke. You buy for today, only.

Second: Either card will do well with current games at those settings. The 290x is fine, as is the 970. I went with the latter because of heat and power consumption.

Whichever you get, you'll enjoy.

Hi,

Which graphics card would be better to get at this point? They are about the same price point, and the price of the 290X would probably drop after they release the 300 series. I looked up benchmarks ( http://ow.ly/KfWOz ), and the 290X is slower than the 970 in DX11, but beats it if the 290X is running Mantle. I'm looking for something that'll be able to play games in high quality at 1080p60fps that would last the next 2 years at least.

Thanks.

-snip-

First: There is no guarantee any card will run things maxed for the next 2 years. Futureproofing is a joke. You buy for today, only.

Second: Either card will do well with current games at those settings. The 290x is fine, as is the 970. I went with the latter because of heat and power consumption.

Whichever you get, you'll enjoy.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Hi,

Which graphics card would be better to get at this point? They are about the same price point, and the price of the 290X would probably drop after they release the 300 series. I looked up benchmarks ( http://ow.ly/KfWOz ), and the 290X is slower than the 970 in DX11, but beats it if the 290X is running Mantle. I'm looking for something that'll be able to play games in high quality at 1080p60fps that would last the next 2 years at least.

Thanks.

Better off with the 290X

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

go with whatever's cheaper. They are practically neck and neck. 

or look at their features. nvidia usually costs a tad more, but has more features. I personally dont use those features, so i went AMD because of price. 

Others will benefit from the nvidia features, and to them, its worth the price premium. so thats what I recommened doing. see if you would ever use shadowplay. or any of their features, if so, theres your answer. 

Better off with the 290X

Ok... I'm guessing just not to get a PowerColor R9 290X?  :P

That is mainly up to preference, The 970 is a better overclocker.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

the 290x drivers work with linux. you may not care, but linux is my fav. the xfx version of the card looks very nice and actually has 4 gigs of vram. not that it matters realistically, but still.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Welp yep,Me Founder of LTT Radeon Master Race Club so I recommend either Sapphire Tri-X or Asus Dirict CUII.You could try XFX Double Dissipation but might heat up too much.Club makes great cards even better then Asus 290X's but the dem price is real since they have to be imported from Europe.MSI Twin Frozer DON'T get I promise you will heat up since I have  of em I know.If you want something from MSI you can get MSI 290X Lightning but at all costs avoid powercolor.They need to die in a freking hole for making AMD Radeon Cards look like shit.Last but no least the Gigabyte 290X.I mean like the card is greatly cooled but it is quite ugly since they use these cheap freking plastic fans but if you don't mid looks definitely get the Gigabyte version.If you can try and get the Vapor-X 8GB edition from sapphire.Another high end 290X which I cant find I site that sells em' besides E-Bay is the Asus Rog-Matrix 290X.It still heats up but I rather would get the Sapphire 290X 8GB edition because it is a little cheaper with +4 GB of v-ram.HIS is okkkkkkk but there customer servive is crap and they don't really deliver their rebate properly and there cooler's look worse then Gigabytes cooler for the 290X.

It All Comes Down To You. The Sexy Font Is Back.

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

That is mainly up to preference, The 970 is a better overclocker.

970 got moar jigahertz but FPS different is not that huge compare to 290x oc'ed. 

the PCS+ cooler is one of the best aftermarket R9-290s cooler available. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Like xAcid9 said, the PCS+ is great. I also like the MSI Lightning, Sapphire cards, and the XFX DD. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Get the 290x for over full HD gaming, otherwise the 970, and its mostly personal preference anyway if you have to decide between 2 equal cards.

I would go with the 970

Get the 290x for over full HD gaming, otherwise the 970, and its mostly personal preference anyway if you have to decide between 2 equal cards.

I would go with the 970

I would wait to see how to 3xx series from amd preform as they are supposed to come out within a few months. (ifu can wait that long)

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies, its helped a lot. 

Nvidia all the way. 

Ryzen 7 3700x | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WiFi | TForce Delta 32GB DDR4 | WINDOWS 10 64 BIT | WD Black 1TB NVME | Intel 1TB NVME | WD Black 4tb HDD | Nvidia 3080 FE | Seasonic 850w Platinum | Fractal Design Meshify C Tempered | BeQuiet DarkRock Slim |

Nvidia all the way.

Fanboying will not take you anywhere on this forum.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

I'd personally go for the GTX 970... consumes like half the power and at least here in Canada they're basically the same price, so no reason to get the R9 290X unless you wanna take advantage of freesync when the monitors launch in your area.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Whatever you do, which at this point what I recommend is just buying the card you think looks nicest in your build + physical features, if youre going 290X don't get the reference model. Everything else is fine. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

Whatever you do, which at this point what I recommend is just buying the card you think looks nicest in your build + physical features, if youre going 290X don't get the reference model. Everything else is fine. 

Except for XFX and PowerColor customer support and Asus' heatpipes not making proper contact with the 290/290X... if memory serves the DCII unit doesn't cool the VRMs on the 290/290X, could be wrong on that. Having said that DCII is noisy anyhow. Sapphire Tri-X and Vapor-X are def the best 290/290Xs until you get to the super pricy ones like MSI Lightning or Asus ROG.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

The R9 290X is pretty much neck and neck with the GTX 970 while costing less. Tho once you step up into resolutions beyond FHD the R9 290X really starts to shine.

Fanboying will not take you anywhere on this forum.

I was giving an opinion. 970 still out performs the 290x. Might want to refrain from replying with BS if someone doesn't share your opinion. Thanks and have a good day. 

Ryzen 7 3700x | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WiFi | TForce Delta 32GB DDR4 | WINDOWS 10 64 BIT | WD Black 1TB NVME | Intel 1TB NVME | WD Black 4tb HDD | Nvidia 3080 FE | Seasonic 850w Platinum | Fractal Design Meshify C Tempered | BeQuiet DarkRock Slim |

I was giving an opinion. 970 still out performs the 290x. Might want to refrain from replying with BS if someone doesn't share your opinion. Thanks and have a good day. 

Slightly at 1080P while 290x takes the lead on 4k.

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

Slightly at 1080P while 290x takes the lead on 4k.

The OP is playing at 1080. The 970 (usually) also overclocks better and uses less power. 

The OP is playing at 1080. The 970 (usually) also overclocks better and uses less power. 

That doesn't mean OP won't be using VSR/DSR. My 290x @1150 perform similar to 970@1450 Boost. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |