Ultrafast internet service launched by Vancouver startup

A company called 'OneGigabit' is a new startup based in Vancouver, BC which plans to make Google Fiber like speeds available to local residents for around the same price.

This is very good news and it might just be the kick in the butt that Bell and Rogers need to upgrade their infrastructure, and remove their data caps. If only something like this came to Ontario...

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/07/03/technology-one-gigabit-internet.html

Current Rig: Windows 8 Pro x64 ASUS M4A87TD-EVO board | AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition OC'd @ 3.81 Ghz | 16GB 1600 Mhz Kingston HyperX | Gigabyte Radeon 6870 1GB | Razer BlackWiddow | Logitech G500S OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD

Doesn't Linus live in Vancouver, BC? Or a different province?

As far as I know, yes.

Current Rig: Windows 8 Pro x64 ASUS M4A87TD-EVO board | AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition OC'd @ 3.81 Ghz | 16GB 1600 Mhz Kingston HyperX | Gigabyte Radeon 6870 1GB | Razer BlackWiddow | Logitech G500S OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD

Doesn't Linus live in Vancouver, BC? Or a different province?

Vancouver, BC, yep!

Anyways this is great news! I hope they manage to get it going and do well - like rfslocutus said it could be the kick in the butt bell and rogers need, or at least something to get the ball rolling in Canada!

http://www.shaw.ca/internet/gigabit/

I don't know about Telus or other isp, but shaw has already started on their gigabit Internet service, Idk if it's going to be as cheap as this, since shaw is only trialing this to get a feel of the costs to distribute gigabit Internet (how much more bandwidth people will use cuz they can do more faster), and remember uhh it's more cost effective to release gigabit in very populated regions than all at once, so it should still be a while before gigabit Internet will be available in rural areas like where Linus's office (I'd imagine in burnaby or surrey) and home will be. Just having a company who undermines competitors' prices are awesome and drive down prices so much.

(Shaws prices, which are actually really good for rural vancouver) http://www.shaw.ca/internet/packages/

Vancouver, BC, yep!

Anyways this is great news! I hope they manage to get it going and do well - like rfslocutus said it could be the kick in the butt bell and rogers need, or at least something to get the ball rolling in Canada!

Doesn't Linus live in surrey or burnaby somewhere? The pricing for homes in Vancouver is SO high, it's stupid.

Idk I just imagine that someone would prefer to live in a cheaper area

I hope Gigabit Internet connections do take off within the next few years.  When I leave my university it's going to be tough not having those near-Gigabit speeds... :lol: First world problems, I know.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Decent internet in the UK would be nice...

I have friends in the UK and they get 120Mpbs down 12+Mbps up. UK has some of the best internet available.

I have friends in the UK and they get 120Mpbs down 12+Mbps up. UK has some of the best internet available.

4Mbs down and 0.8Mbs doesn't sound too good to me, saying that my parents don't realize that our internet is slow as they download absolutely nothing.

I'm drooling so hard. My speeds are good at the moment but dayum!

If someone implements something like that here I will be a very happy man.

The really cool thing is how this is going to be implimented, its going to use in ground fibre for huge buildings but for areas where they cant dig or its to costly to dig its going

to be using point to point WiMax. (Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access) which means it will be less costly to implement and cost less for consumers.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 - Noctua NH-D14 | Asus Crosshair V Formula | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Plextor M5P Extreme 256GB SSD

GPU - Asus AMD Radeon 6950 Direct CU II 2GB |

Seasonic 1000 W Platinum | Cooler Master 690 ii Advanced | Asus VE248H + VE248Q

Doesn't Linus live in surrey or burnaby somewhere? The pricing for homes in Vancouver is SO high, it's stupid.

Idk I just imagine that someone would prefer to live in a cheaper area

Yeah you're right, and i think he mentioned it in one of the videos about the new office

Those prices aren't that bad imo. Just need to find out how reliable they are in terms of their internet connection and see if they can handle the loads.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Bring that to Ontario please! >.>

Case: NZXT H440 | CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5 GHz | GPU: MSI 970, Kraken G10 | Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Cooler: H100i | PSU: Corsair AX750 w/ Sleeved Cables | Display: 3xBenQ RL2455M | Fans: 5xNoctua NF-F12, 1xBitFenix Spectre |

Freaking nice. You guys are ultra lucky :D Now I wish we had this down in London, UK :(

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

why is this not happening in more places..

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089