Thrift Machine Troubleshooting

So here is the deal.

I took a shot at my very own thrift machine. I went from a P4 to a Q6600 and a gt630.

The problem is that the old power supply (pictured) died RIGHT after checking the BIOS to see if the new cpu was working and rebooting. After hearing a hissing sound coming from the PSU I concluded that a capacitor had bulged and vented its electrolyte. 

I know that sounds like I'm as good as effed but I still went out and got a 550w Antec PSU, which is worlds better than the crappy "KMEX" one originally installed on the system. 

So I connect everything on its place and surprise surprise, nothing. And yes, I followed ALL the troubleshooting steps possible( paper clip, reconnect, check mains etc..) I even used a voltmeter to check that the rails were supplying the right voltages.  

I also swapped back to my P4 chip to see if the core2quad was fried...still nothing. 

I have the system stripped down to a minimum(no hdd, 1 stick of ram, gpu/nogpu)

What made me post is that I noticed that when I attempt to short the power switch pins, I can see the gpu fan and the PSU fan "attempting" to spin for half a second; they don't even complete a revolution,  just a slight movement and then nothing.

Any advice?

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad q6600 2.4ghz

GF7050VT-M ECS mobo

1gb "Rendition" DDR2 240pin/2gb Kingston ddr2 533mhz (doesn't work with either)

Nvidia gt630

PS I know its crappy hardware, but I'm not creating a thrift machine, I'm reviving it.

PSS the cpu pictured is the P4. That's why there's no thermal compound. 

post-152973-0-31318700-1426385264_thumb.

post-152973-0-37750500-1426385281_thumb.

post-152973-0-68055800-1426385300_thumb.

Take out the GPU and tell me if it works. If that happens its dying. Which is what is happening with mine

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Did you somehow manage to trip the breaker (Like overloading an entire circuit somehow)? Otherwise motherboard could've been fried, try to test some of the parts in a different system if possible (Not sure if you did that yet). Also check on your motherboard for blown capacitors, the top or bottom of them may be inflated almost. And last bit I saw in your pic the heatsink isn't on the CPU, So it could be overheating.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

i'd say the mobo might have an issue.  If this is case itsactaully maybe (depending on how you look at it) good news because it most likely means that your cpu and your gpu are still good. So all you need to do is find a replacement board

Hi, 

Thanks for yout replies. Indeed I believe its the mobo as it doesn't work with or without the GPU...

Hopefully nothing else other than the motherboard got fried.. I'll have to test as soon as I get another one...which might take a while..

Lol if anyone has got a scrap lga775 mobo lying around, feel free to donate xP even Goodwill is a ripoff for me right now..

-----No comments on the crappy, spanish-labeled PSU xD

Did you somehow manage to trip the breaker (Like overloading an entire circuit somehow)? Otherwise motherboard could've been fried, try to test some of the parts in a different system if possible (Not sure if you did that yet). Also check on your motherboard for blown capacitors, the top or bottom of them may be inflated almost. And last bit I saw in your pic the heatsink isn't on the CPU, So it could be overheating.

I most definitely didn't blow the breakers lol 

its not a 1600w 4 way titan build...  I also don't have any other system to swap parts with :(

The exposed cpu in the pic is the old P4. I was testing to see if maybe the q6600 was fried. that's why there's no heat sink. did not help still.. so the motherboard is toast :/

Hi, 

Thanks for yout replies. Indeed I believe its the mobo as it doesn't work with or without the GPU...

Hopefully nothing else other than the motherboard got fried.. I'll have to test as soon as I get another one...which might take a while..

Lol if anyone has got a scrap lga775 mobo lying around, feel free to donate xP even Goodwill is a ripoff for me right now..

If you want a Q8200, a board and 6GB RAM I can sell you it for like 150 USD I dunno.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

@harrynowl Spare 775 board?

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

If you want a Q8200, a board and 6GB RAM I can sell you it for like 150 USD I dunno.

I'd consider it if I could afford it, I'm not in the most economically permissive situation right now,  so my best chance is to scrap a mobo from somewhere,  and that is to TEST if my cpu/gpu/ram is still functional..

Thanks for the offer anyways. 

Hi, 

i actually have an overclockable lga775 motherboard, but I wouldn't donate it d: it's standard atx 1 pci-e x16 3 pci slots and one pci-e x1 its from gigabyte not sure which one it is can't remember it lol.  

It sounds like mobo. 
Did the PSU pass the paperclip test?
Do you have another lga775 motherboard you could test it with?

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

It sounds like mobo. 

Did the PSU pass the paperclip test?

Do you have another lga775 motherboard you could test it with?

The old psu vented a little more from its caps when I tried the papaer clip test (yes I did short thr green wire with a ground) so I'm positive it's blown. .

I wish I had another board lying around.. but regrettably for me pc parts are a rarity...I don't have a bucket of gpus like linus and other guys around here :/

The old psu vented a little more from its caps when I tried the papaer clip test (yes I did short thr green wire with a ground) so I'm positive it's blown. .

I wish I had another board lying around.. but regrettably for me pc parts are a rarity...I don't have a bucket of gpus like linus and other guys around here :/

I meant on the new PSU.

I have no doubts the old one is toast.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

i actually have an overclockable lga775 motherboard, but I wouldn't donate it d: it's standard atx 1 pci-e x16 3 pci slots and one pci-e x1 its from gigabyte not sure which one it is can't remember it lol.  

Lol that's fine, I was kind of kidding with the donate thing.. I more than anyone realize the value of pc parts...

The mobo I have is a MATX..I doubt the case will fit a Standard ATX

check the bottom part of the mobo and see if any burn marks

also

clear the CMOS by removing the silver battery

I have experience with my old MSI P31 board which went kaput when i tried the replacement GPU

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

check the bottom part of the mobo and see if any burn marks

also

clear the CMOS by removing the silver battery

I have experience with my old MSI P31 board which went kaput when i tried the replacement GPU

There is no obvious damage to the mobo (no bulged caps, no burned VRM or components or burns on soldermask)

I have tried clearing the cmos by the battery method and jumper methods. Still nothing..

it's dead as far as any common test goes.. :c 

There is no obvious damage to the mobo (no bulged caps, no burned VRM or components or burns on soldermask)

I have tried clearing the cmos by the battery method and jumper methods. Still nothing..

it's dead as far as any common test goes.. :c 

ouch

i cant help much either

the P31 board is alive but barely

and i dont have any spare LGA775 boards :/

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Lol that's fine, I was kind of kidding with the donate thing.. I more than anyone realize the value of pc parts...

The mobo I have is a MATX..I doubt the case will fit a Standard ATX

actually (: it might check the case details