how to use SSD.

Ramonman

hallo,

monday i got my first SSD, a 120gb samsung 850 EVO. I gone instal windows 8.1 on it and for the next things i need some info.

I use AutoCad, Office word/Excel allot so i would like those programs to open, edit and safe fast! but how do i do it correct?

when installing the programs do i instal it on the SSD? also do my safe filles need to be on the SSD or HDD? like drawing1.dwg? do i locate it on SSD or HDD?

are both the installation filles AND the safe filles (.dwg .doc....) located at the SSD?

Install Samsung Magician software and you can select the SSD profile.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

By default programs on Windows are installed on the C: drive (the drive in which Windows itself is installed on). If you want the programs to be fast, then just install them normally :)

Regarding your files: It depends, you will probably get more performance by storing them on the SSD, but you might run out of space. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

By default programs on Windows are installed on the C: drive (the drive in which Windows itself is installed on). If you want the programs to be fast, then just install them normally :)

Regarding your files: It depends, you will probably get more performance by storing them on the SSD, but you might run out of space. 

so jeah, Windows, Autocad and Microsoft Office will be installed and safed on the SSD with all programs :)

games, music, movies etc will go on the HDD than. Thanks for the info

so jeah, Windows, Autocad and Microsoft Office will be installed and safed on the SSD with all programs :)

games, music, movies etc will go on the HDD than. Thanks for the info

Yep, basically any programs should go on the SSD unless they are absolutely huge and you have a smaller SSD. Movies, music, pictures, documents even, all those should go on your mass storage hard drive.

When you install a program you can choose where you want it's files to install usually. If you want to, say, install a browser on your hard drive as opposed to your SSD (don't actually do this, just an example), the setup should have an option to install it on the variety of drives and folders in your system.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

hallo,

monday i got my first SSD, a 120gb samsung 850 EVO. I gone instal windows 8.1 on it and for the next things i need some info.

I use AutoCad, Office word/Excel allot so i would like those programs to open, edit and safe fast! but how do i do it correct?

when installing the programs do i instal it on the SSD? also do my safe filles need to be on the SSD or HDD? like drawing1.dwg? do i locate it on SSD or HDD?

are both the installation filles AND the safe filles (.dwg .doc....) located at the SSD?

Hey Ramonman,

As the guys pointed out, you should put the more demanding and more often used applications and the OS on the SSD for better performance. Also if you are working with larger files that need to be loaded in a program, you should put that on the SSD too.

Do have in mind that it is recommended that you have 12%-15% free space on the SSD for optimal performance (caching requirements) and that the OS would take up about 35GB which leaves you with about 75GB of usable space. :)

Games rely on storage only for their loading times and FPS and graphics stay unaffected so if you do play some games, you can leave them on the HDD if longer load times don't bother you. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/