So I won the NUC giveaway, but no happy ending.

Shally

If anyone recalls back in February/January there was a Intel NUC i5 giveaway from the media group. I was delighted but because of CES it took 28 days to be delivered. Once it arrived it came with a $100 import charge, which I cannot afford, as well as the components of this little beast. My plan was too keep it and afford the parts later but due to birthdays, mothers day and valentines day I'm broke. It will more then likely be sent back to LMG unless my post office decides to keep it longer. I'll keep you guys updated but it might be given away again? Who knows! 

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

ahh, the price of free stuff for international contests.

I know, poop.

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

aww... :(

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

If anyone recalls back in February/January there was a Intel NUC i5 giveaway from the media group. I was delighted but because of CES it took 28 days to be delivered. Once it arrived it came with a $100 import charge, which I cannot afford, as well as the components of this little beast. My plan was too keep it and afford the parts later but due to birthdays, mothers day and valentines day I'm broke. It will more then likely be sent back to LMG unless my post office decides to keep it longer. I'll keep you guys updated but it might be given away again? Who knows! 

Is there a chance your family (Parents or something) could loan you the $100 with the express intent of paying them back ASAP? (Go so far as to type out a "loan contract" and sign it, to show your dedication to paying them back - parents love that kind of shit).

You could also ask the Post Office to hold it for you. If you know when you'll have the money, see if they'll agree to hold it until then.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Sorry to hear :(

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Dam. Will the tax even be written off if you don't claim it?

This sounds like exactly the reason a lot of YTers will NOT hold international competitions/give aways, as the shipping CAN cost them a fortune and the import taxes can cost the receiver a fortune.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

That sucks dude. If you want you can have the post office send it to me???

In all seriousness, you got a NUC, so it would be worth paying the fee. Try to ask around, maybe parents/grandparents would be someone willing to let you borrow money.

That sucks dude. If you want you can have the post office send it to me???

In all seriousness, you got a NUC, so it would be worth paying the fee. Try to ask around, maybe parents/grandparents would be someone willing to let you borrow money.

Actually, he'd have to pay the import fees and "accept" the package before being able to re-route/forward/resent the package anywhere. The only other place it will get sent is back to LMG (the sender).

This is an unfortunate but necessary lesson for anyone entering a contest where you live outside of the country of the people holding said contest.

Be prepared to pay import fees and taxes on any prizes you win. I wish the OP can still get the NUC he won though. Hopefully he works something out!

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)