GPU Sag - Is it still a problem today, if so, what are some common solutions to fix it?

Geekazoid

Hi forum of geekiness (:D),

Just thought I'd ask this question and get your thoughts and common solutions on the subject.

Cheers,

Geek

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

It is still a thing, mostly with GPUs that have massive coolers... *cough* windforce *cough*

Ways of fixing it? GHETTO STYLE :D I have seen Lego supports, zip ties, wires... go nuts :D

It is still a thing, mostly with GPUs that have massive coolers... *cough* windforce *cough*

Ways of fixing it? GHETTO STYLE :D I have seen Lego supports, zip ties, wires... go nuts :D

Did someone say.....donuts? :D

post-14986-0-01380600-1426234012_thumb.j

*drools* :o

Are you a big donut fan? :D

my god i love you all.

Yeah i just use a ghetto solutions...............i have a stack of Duplicates of Magic the gathering cards...GUESS WHAT I DID WITH THEM.

"1 shot 1 kill. or in my case 500 shots and a questionable death" ~ Carlos Hathcock + Ryouichi

"Because its windows... it just happens..." ~ G33k 4 L1F3

My Build....sorta. close enough http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YMG4mG

Thicker PCB's help, 12 layer PCB's are pretty common and help somewhat with sag, Better designed coolers that offer support to offset the weight help which is much more commonplace these days. Backplates help a ton.

Apart from the stock design or a waterblock there isn't a great deal you can do without it looking super ghetto.

Hi forum of geekiness ( :D),

Just thought I'd ask this question and get your thoughts and common solutions on the subject.

Cheers,

Geek

definitely still a thing.

my solution was to tie some fishing line to the GPU that was just too short to reach the top of the case. the other end was tied to a magnet and smacked to the top, putting enough tension to hold it level. almost invisible, and elegantly effective.

Mcdonalds straw :D

I dont think this is the case at all.

I have had over the last 2 years, 2X MSI Twin Frozr R9 280X, an ASUS DUII 770, and a sapphire R9 290 Tri-X.

One of the 280X's had no sag, the other had a fair bit but not too much, the 770 was literally a banana and the 290 has been prefectly straight for months.

The R9 280X's had no backplates and one had some sag the other didn't. The 770 HAD a backplate and sagged like a bitch, the 290 had a much larger cooler than both of them, no backplate and no sag at all.

I think its just luck, or overall build quality of card.

Agreed. Build quality matters.

An alternative is to route the cables so that you pull the GPU in the right direction.

Handing out TechRx's

I have a haf xb evo case. Problem solved :)

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Use LEGO. Build a support tower or two. And you can colour match your build. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III