GTX980 scaling in SLI @ 1440p 144hz?

MrGoat

Ive been running a single gtx980 and a ROG swift for the past few months. Its been great, but I was planning on upgrading to a second SLI at some point to always hit a constant 144fps in games at 1440p. Well now that the gm200 is near, should I wait for that and stay with the single card solution, or has SLI scaling come a long way and it is worth it now to buy a second card. (I havent used SLI since the 400 series and it was the worst experience ever)

i would wanna say that you would be fine

dual sli was never really a bad scaler

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Ive been running a single gtx980 and a ROG swift for the past few months. Its been great, but I was planning on upgrading to a second SLI at some point to always hit a constant 144fps in games at 1440p. Well now that the gm200 is near, should I wait for that and stay with the single card solution, or has SLI scaling come a long way and it is worth it now to buy a second card. (I havent used SLI since the 400 series and it was the worst experience ever)

SLI scaling is usually a problem with 3 and 4 way config. MOST games support dual cards easily and get 2x scaling very often :)

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

You dont even want to know how bad quad SLI scaling is in BF4

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

So.... do it? It should be 2x the performance and last be a bit longer past this gm200 perhaps?

2 way scaling is pretty solid for most games. Before I upgraded to a third card I was getting 120-144 fps in multiplayer in CS:GO and BF4 at max settings at 1440p.  

Honestly I only turn on the "turbo" button on my ROG Swift for fast twitch fps games.  

CPU Intel i7 5930k - Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe - RAM Kingston DDR4 32GB - GPU nVidia GeForce GTX980 3way SLI - Case NZXT H440 – Samsung XP941 m.2, Samsung 850 Pro, WD Black, WD Red - PSU Corsair Ax1200i

2x cards is pretty solid most of the time.

3x is a mediocre prospect.

4th card is "just because I can" tier.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti