price to performance (Intel line up)

Okay, we always talk about price to performance and we find the results with graphics cards that low end isn't great price to performance. 

CPU's on the other hand are still necessary regardless...but the real question is where is that sweet spot?

There has been a lot of buzz about these processors in particular:

-G3258

-the "get an i3"

-i5's (particularly 4670k/90k)

Now, these processors are all over the board in pricing, And I guess they all serve very different purposes.

Eg. g3258 vs 5820k thread count and OC speed makes these totally different from one another. 

I personally think the "sweet" spot is a joke as i find because of the differences there are actually 4 sweet spots in this line up.

-G3258 OC's like a boss and is good if you are only doing one thing at a time on it while costing little. 

- 4690k while the price increased substantially what you gain is 2 cores, while still having the overclock-ability.

- 4790k similar to what I said about the 4690k, but also with a premium -YET appears to be rock solid improvement and somewhat "future proof" and about top of the 1150 socket...1151 inbound.

- 5820k what can I say gain extra cores for the multitaskers, is pretty affordable compared to the other chips on this platform and has upgrade route w/ many new or high end features. 

*notable contenders to be on this list Xeon chips on the 1150 platform such as 1230-v3

P.S. sorry i3's you seem like a compromise between g3258 and i5's (I advise these people to save up)

So the point of this pretty much is for discussion on what you think is the sweet spot at the moment. 

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

i5 non-K  :D

interesting I assume because you wouldn't have to invest in cooler or as good of a mobo and it's cheaper to begin with too right?

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

interesting I assume because you wouldn't have to invest in cooler or as good of a mobo and it's cheaper to begin with too right?

h81 and just stock cooler..

but this won't entice OCer's here (since when did OCer's care about price to performance?) and you'll lose the future-prooooofness 

amd price to performance is probably better at lower price range

intel's future proofness is better

Ryzen 9 5900x | x570 TUF Gaming Pro Wifi | 32gb GSkill 4x8gb @3000mhz CL15 | ASUS Strix RX480 8gb | XFX 750W psu | Cosair H100i GTX | Fractal Design R5

Drop ENTR Halo True | Logitech G900 Choas Spectrum | Blue-Yeti | AKG k553 Pro

I think the sweet spot depends on budget, and what people plan to do.

Web, gaming, streaming, content creation, etc.

Did you factor in motherboard prices and cpu coolers into you conclusion? Cause if you factor those in than the Pentium loses a lot of points 

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

i5-4440 + B85 motherboard will cost you under $250 and deliver incredible performance in virtually all areas while still giving you an upgrade path to an i7 if necessary.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

amd price to performance is probably better at lower price range

intel's future proofness is better

AMD is only good in price to performance on very specific tasks, or on ultra budget builds.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

i5-4440 + B85 motherboard will cost you under $250 and deliver incredible performance in virtually all areas while still giving you an upgrade path to an i7 if necessary.

This, or even an i5-4590 and H97 board..offers more features and connectivity and 300mhz higher boost clock for only a few dollars more sometimes.

Locked i5 with cheap H or B series board is without a shadow of a doubt the sweet spot and better price/performance for gamers and light taskers.

The reason is because it performs well enough in just about anything that you don't feel you want/need anything more than that to play your games on ultra.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR