Is the NCASE N1 as small as it gets? Nope! (Mockup)

Pedex

When I first saw the NCASE M1, my jaw fell to the ground.

It looked good, was super compact, and could house some beastly components.

After getting a little curious about how compact is actually could get before running completely out of space.

I made a mockup of the M1 in sketchup, and started building from there.

After putting in components and packing as many of them as close as possible, I realized it could, in fact, get just a bit smaller.

I wanted to use full-size components (SFX PSU counts here) to make it as desktop-like as possible, like the M1.

This is the design i came up with:

7572005d464a949cc7477fc8f78e1dca.png

Its not a huge difference, and internally it is very similar to the M1.

I even managed to fit a 120mm radiator, 3x 2.5" SSDs and 2x 3.5" harddrives. Pretty snazzy if you ask me.

Only thing left is to make the model more detailed, and maybe even add a slim fan somewhere, otherwise it would cook itself.

Crafting this at home should not be that difficult or expensive.

That might be a project for some other day!

you could make it smaller by using 2.5" drives instead of 3.5" drives and using half length GPUs like the 970 which would save a lot of space while performing the same

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Airflow is always going to be your biggest enemy when you get down to these ultra compact m-itx builds. One thing I believe would be essential though is a completely custom set of PSU leads. They'd have to be cut exactly to size otherwise they will take up too much space and restrict what little air flow you can generate.

Very intrigued to see just how far people can push this sort of thing though.

duc sequere aut de via decede

CPU: i7 6800K | Mobo: MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: SLI EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper | PSU: EVGA 1000P2 | Memory: 64 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 & Samsung 850 Evo 1TB| Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | Display: Predator X34 & Dell U2715H | Cooling: Custom Loop

Custom hard line watercooled Fractal Node 202 ITX build log

For "full-size" components yes. Unless as stated above you want to start using short GPUs and exclusively 2.5" drives.

"Rawr XD"

the ncase m1 wasn't designed to be 'as small as it gets'
it was designed to be versatile yet compact.

over at [H]ardForum a user is designing a 3 (!) litres system with a fully custom water cooled GTX 970!
full.jpg

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1848777

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log