Save money or go all out?

alby800

I need a laptop for school, my budget is $1130, unless I want to put in some of my own money (parents are paying most of it because it is for school)

So my main options are this:

http://www.mwave.com.au/product/msi-cx61-2pc687xau-156-i7-8gb-1tb-hdd-gt820m-2gb-no-os-ab54822#detailTabs=tabShipping

Which doesn't come with 8.1 but I could still get it and be under budget which is good

Or I could get this:

http://www.kongcomputers.com/product-detail/gamers/msi-ge60-apache-2pl-660au.aspx

Which is overkill for what I need and I have to put in $170

I will use it for word, Internet, graphics, some video editing and other things. So what do you guys think?

edit - forgot to mention that my mum already has my $170 because of my other laptop which we returned because it was faulty (asus ux303ln) so if I went with the cheaper option, I would have $170 more then I already have

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

Mac book Air

profile_picture_by_no_face_plz-d49yok6.p

I'd say go all out, and if it's powerful enough maybe sell your desktop.

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

profile_picture_by_no_face_plz-d49yok6.p

280X vs 850M.....

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Mac book Air

No way in hell am I spending $1250 for a dual core i5 and 4gbs or ram

hmmmm, now that I realise the cheap one only has a shitty 1366*768 screen and is probably tn soooo, and the HDD is 5400 rpm

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

280X vs 850M.....

I only play cs:go and BO2 atm, so it would be good enough I think

Go all out

but with the $170 I could get new headphones or put it towards a go kart or something

My attitude is if its not available used its not worth it

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

but with the $170 I could get new headphones or put it towards a go kart or something

ATHM50.jpg

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

My attitude is if its not available used its not worth it

wut

ATHM50.jpg

no, Phillips Fidelio L1's

Go all out

wut

I'm saying go look for used stuff. If I can't find something used I get something else just always save 50%

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Go all out

what if I got the cheap one and put a 128gb ssd in as well as the HDD?

does that classify as semi-all out xD

I'm saying go look for used stuff. If I can't find something used I get something else just always save 50%

nah, I doubt I would be allowed to buy used stuff

what if I got the cheap one and put a 128gb ssd in as well as the HDD?

does that classify as semi-all out xD

nah, I doubt I would be allowed to buy used stuff

Let me put more emphasis on it. ALL. OUT.

No way in hell am I spending $1250 for a dual core i5 and 4gbs or ram

hmmmm, now that I realise the cheap one only has a shitty 1366*768 screen and is probably tn soooo, and the HDD is 5400 rpm

Actually you can get a i7 and 8GB ram for that price they dropped its price long ago, but still a bad choice for even light video editing. How about a asus n550, I love this thing.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Actually you can get a i7 ansa 8GB ram for that price they dropped its price long ago, but still a bad choice for even light video editing. How about a asus n550, I love this thing.

ce7c2fca10.png

edit - the N550 is $2000 here

All out.

Unless you can find something else...

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Actually you can get a i7 ansa 8GB ram for that price they dropped its price long ago, but still a bad choice for even light video editing. How about a asus n550, I love this thing.

ce7c2fca10.png

Ahh your at Australia, almost forgot. Damn brain. Anyhow give the Asus n550 a go.

Pascal laptops guide

Ahh your at Australia, almost forgot. Damn brain. Anyhow give the Asus n550 a go.

look at edit, n550 is $2000 here ;(

look at edit, n550 is $2000 here ;(

Ouch, I guess the 850m equipped laptop you linked is the way to go then.

Pascal laptops guide

Ouch, I guess the 850m equipped laptop you linked is the way to go then.

Yea, I think so too

as somebody who uses an iPad 2 for school and a i5 + GTX 970 + NV Surround tower for gaming, I would say go for the most portable laptop you can find and pocket the extra money. Most of your money (if you are a gamer) should go to your tower. It will give you a better experience for less money, and you won't be tempted to game when you are out and supposed to be working. Also, you can use your laptop as a "work only" computer, and buying low end will eliminate the temptation to also use it to game.

My two cents: low end laptop and high end tower

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!