Can I get better Internet?

MeDownYou

Okay, so...

I know the FCC's net neutrality passed, and people are fighting it. 

Current internet $55 and ONLY 1mb/s (which I don't even get...ever.)... oh and they refuse to upgrade infrastructure since they inherited it.

There are other providers, but only one other will provide service for us apparently they flat our refuse because of telephone lines. (Literally told us this). 

Another company looked promising, refuses to service us because of phone lines (which we don't even subscribe to)

The only other one that would sell us internet is via Phone line AKA Dail-up and ONLY with a phone bill as well.

Now, I want/need an un-metered internet plan so are there any options that I am unaware of?

Options I am aware of:

keep current $55 1mb/s down pitiful upload

Satellite Internet...(I believe this cuts out?)

Dial-up +phone bill

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Is moving an option?

If people start moving away from area with bumfuck internet, pretty soon they will get the picture.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Is moving an option?

If people start moving away from area with bumfuck internet, pretty soon they will get the picture.

Not really an option... Parents just paid off the house such

Is there a reason that this other company can refuse me internet service wirelessly because of phone lines? Or any other options that you know of?

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Not really an option... Parents just paid off the house such

Is there a reason that this other company can refuse me internet service wirelessly because of phone lines? Or any other options that you know of?

Honestly, I am not familiar with how things work in the US, but I can say that For an Aussie, 1mb is about average :( So I would just hold out until you can move out of home, and then move somewhere with decent internet.

Sorry dude, shitty situation.

Honestly, I am not familiar with how things work in the US, but I can say that For an Aussie, 1mb is about average :( So I would just hold out until you can move out of home, and then move somewhere with decent internet.

Sorry dude, shitty situation.

Oh, thanks anyway.

btw my speed is 0.17 mb/s dl atm...bottom 2% of the world :/

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Oh, thanks anyway.

btw my speed is 0.17 mb/s dl atm...bottom 2% of the world :/

daaaaaaaamn that sucks.

Nope, nothing you can do but pray someone with a lot of money realizes the need in your area and builds out infrastructure.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

See if tethering from your phone is an option? It might not be ideal for all the time but maybe if you feel like having faster internet for a while you can sacrifice some of your data (assuming you have a smartphone that is). Another option like that would be to get something like a MiFi which is basically tethering from a standalone device. It might be expensive but if you have good coverage in your area it might be worth it.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

See if tethering from your phone is an option? It might not be ideal for all the time but maybe if you feel like having faster internet for a while you can sacrifice some of your data (assuming you have a smartphone that is). Another option like that would be to get something like a MiFi which is basically tethering from a standalone device. It might be expensive but if you have good coverage in your area it might be worth it.

yeah...I have dumb phone and data would be instantly gone for me...I may or may not have slurped like 600Gb's of data at school last month (decently fast internet)

The Vinyl Decal guy.

I wish there were more services that offered PtP backhaul options for internet in an area with bad infrastructure. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |