Worth grabbing a 4690k right now?

Go to solution Solved by MbV93,

Gaming at that higher res eliminates CPU bottlenecks as the GPU is getting taxed hard! You'll be okay with the monitor and the X4. I'd buy the monitor first.

Hey guys I have the money to do an upgrade on my computer, and I see that I can grab an MSI Z97z Krait and a 4690k for about $350 right now. I'm wondering if it's worth it?

I was also looking at maybe getting a 21:9 monitor, but I don't know where my priorities should be haha. Without a new monitor, I'm gaming at 1680x1050.. With a new monitor, I'd be gaming at 2650x1080, but with a Phenom II x4 960t... Hmmm. What should I do first?

EDIT: Looks like I bought the LG 29UM55 instead. Hope it was a good decision (:

I can wait another 2 weeks for a CPU and MOBO upgrade, honestly.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Hey guys I have the money to do an upgrade on my computer, and I see that I can grab an MSI Z97z Krait and a 4690k for about $350 right now. I'm wondering if it's worth it?

Its a good chip, overall its decent with most tasks.

960T is very underpowered for a 290 in many titles (unlocking to six core if you can helps a lot), so I would go with the 4690k. You could also go with a i5-4460 and H97 to save a bit of money for the 21:9 monitor.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

That combo isn't that great of a deal, I would get a monitor and then get a CPU later. A 960T isn't that bad, it shouldn't bottleneck a 290 too severely.

Nup.

Wait for skylake

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

QuadCore, on 07 Mar 2015 - 7:26 PM, said:

Its a good chip, overall its decent with most tasks.

Yeah, I don't know. If I wait another week, I could grab an i7 4790k... Hm.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

CPU and motherboard if I was in your position..

System: Thinkpad T460

Gaming at that higher res eliminates CPU bottlenecks as the GPU is getting taxed hard! You'll be okay with the monitor and the X4. I'd buy the monitor first.

It won't help you any with gaming over a 4690K

Fate, on 07 Mar 2015 - 7:26 PM, said:

960T is very underpowered for a 290 in many titles (unlocking to six core if you can helps a lot), so I would go with the 4690k. You could also go with a i5-4460 and H97 to save a bit of money for the 21:9 monitor.

Yeah you're telling me haha.

I noticed the huge bottleneck I've been getting. It was alright with my 6870... but now that I upgraded, I'm not getting a huge improvement and I know why lol.

Reuben, on 07 Mar 2015 - 7:28 PM, said:

It won't help you any with gaming over a 4690K

I suppose it's just a luxurious feeling I guess. I tend to be stupid with money sometimes..

If you are just gaming you won't see much improvement from the i7. When I killed my 4770k and moved down to a 4670k, I saw 0 difference with games. Only video rendering and VM's saw a performance hit.

Yeah you're telling me haha.

I noticed the huge bottleneck I've been getting. It was alright with my 6870... but now that I upgraded, I'm not getting a huge improvement and I know why lol.

Yea, in BF4 my 960T bottlenecked my R9 270 by a huge amount compared to my 3570k (almost half the fps in 64p servers). I can only imagine how bad it can be in some games with a 290. Overclocking helped a lot (3 to 3.8GHz) but unlocking to six core helped the most, in BF4 at least. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I suppose it's just a luxurious feeling I guess. I tend to be stupid with money sometimes..

Hey no hate, that's why I got a 4790K.

Fate, on 07 Mar 2015 - 7:31 PM, said:Fate, on 07 Mar 2015 - 7:31 PM, said:

Yea, in BF4 my 960T bottlenecked my R9 270 by a huge amount compared to my 3570k (almost half the fps in 64p servers). I can only imagine how bad it can be in some games with a 290. Overclocking helped a lot (3 to 3.8GHz) but unlocking to six core helped the most, in BF4 at least. 

Yeah I've tried getting to a six-core, but it looks like my motherboard just doesn't like it. It's super easy to overclock the chip though, but I suspect my cheap-ass motherboard is holding it back severely in some ways. Crashing when upping voltage by little amounts, etc.

Though I'm hearing going to higher resolutions lessens the bottleneck a little. Wonder if that's true.

Nup.

Wait for skylake

I hope you mean broadwell? Skylake is after broadwell.

Im going to say wait til broadwell. 

Computer Spec: CPU: i5 4690K @ 4.85GHz Delided    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero    RAM: Corsair Vengence 2*4GB    GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970    PSU: Corsair RM650    Boot Drive: Crucial MX100 256GB SSD    Storage: 1TB WD Blue HDD   Case: NZXT H440 Red and Black 

Cooling: EK PWM D5 Pump & EK 140ML RES Combo unit , EK Supremacy Evo CPU Block , 360mm Alphacool Radiator , 3 Noctua NF-F12 Fans on the radiator , Some fancy fittings