HyperX Beast RAM not delivering promised speeds?

I just purchased 16 GB's of HyperX Beast RAM, the expensive version supposed to run at 2400 MHz, however, after having set the XMP Profile to Profile 1 (2400 MHz, 11-11-32), it's still just running at 2133 MHz. I set the frequency to Auto, and the XMP profile to 1. The highest I can pick in the manual frequency settings is DDR3-2133

The motherboard is an AsRock Z77 Extreme4, the CPU is a i7-2600 (non-K). The Extreme4 is supposed to be able to run OC'd memory of up to 2800 MHz?

I think there is two XMPs with Beast kits.

Oh and your IMC might not be able to handle it, make sure you run a bit of stability testing afterwards.

I just purchased 16 GB's of HyperX Beast RAM, the expensive version supposed to run at 2400 MHz, however, after having set the XMP Profile to Profile 1 (2400 MHz, 11-11-32), it's still just running at 2133 MHz. I set the frequency to Auto, and the XMP profile to 1. The highest I can pick in the manual frequency settings is DDR3-2133

The motherboard is an AsRock Z77 Extreme4, the CPU is a i7-2600 (non-K). The Extreme4 is supposed to be able to run OC'd memory of up to 2800 MHz?

I would guess it's your CPU limiting it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

have you tried upping the voltage on the ram a bit?

have you tried increasing the latency a bit?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

What voltage is the RAM at?

I read somewhere that Sandy Bridge's IMC does't like anything over 1.65v or something, just trying to find the article I was reading.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Hey guys,

1. In the BIOS, it lists 2 XMP profiles. One of them is 2133 MHz @ 11-11-32 @ 1.60V

XMP profile 1 that I put on, is 2400 MHZ 11-11-32 @ 1.65V

I checked the DRAM voltage set in the BIOS, however, and it's running at 1.665V instead, but still at 2133 MHz..

@ Mvitkun

How much is a little? 11-11-11-32 is kind of a high latency as is, no?

Hey guys,

1. In the BIOS, it lists 2 XMP profiles. One of them is 2133 MHz @ 11-11-32 @ 1.60V

XMP profile 1 that I put on, is 2400 MHZ 11-11-32 @ 1.65V

I checked the DRAM voltage set in the BIOS, however, and it's running at 1.665V instead, but still at 2133 MHz..

@ Mvitkun

How much is a little? 11-11-11-32 is kind of a high latency as is, no?

it is,but if it's not running stably at 2400mhz then you can either compromise with an even higher latency or RMA/return the ram.

I personally wouldn't go with anything higher than CL9

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

it is,but if it's not running stably at 2400mhz then you can either compromise with an even higher latency or RMA/return the ram.

I personally wouldn't go with anything higher than CL9

I think you're missing the idea,

I can't set it to 2400 MHz at all, it just won't let me, so I can't really know if it's stable at 2400 MHz or not..?

I think you're missing the idea,

I can't set it to 2400 MHz at all, it just won't let me, so I can't really know if it's stable at 2400 MHz or not..?

have you tried setting it to that speed without XMP?just by inputting it manually.

Linus Sebastian said:

have you tried setting it to that speed without XMP?just by inputting it manually.

Please, mate. I already SAID that the max I can choose with or without XMP is 2133 MHz.

Please, mate. I already SAID that the max I can choose with or without XMP is 2133 MHz.

do you have the latest bios revision?

Linus Sebastian said:

do you have the latest bios revision?

I do.

I do.

have you tried removing one of the ram sticks or switching which DIMM slots they're in and seeing if it gives you the option for higher frequency?
Linus Sebastian said:

have you tried removing one of the ram sticks or switching which DIMM slots they're in and seeing if it gives you the option for higher frequency?

I'll try that soon!

It didn't work, I spotted something, though.

Specifically when I put a stick in one of the DIMM slots on the motherboard (second from the right), I'd get a 55 debug LED code (Memory issue), and I'd hear three medium-long beeps from the speaker. If I remove that DIMM, and just use the one closest to the CPU socket, it works fine, and when I use a dual-channel configuration that doesn't use that exact DIMM slots, I get no error.

I am unable to get 2400 MHz in any configuration, however. :c

Guess I better get saving up for Haswell.