CPU help

hello

i have gtx 970 at home, and now i need cpu

1. my pc will be for gaming, and gaming only

2. please don't start with comments like: get i5.... (i have an option with 4690k, but then i need another +100€  for mobo,  + aftermarket cooler = about +200€, i would need to wait another 2 months to get that)

so this is my budget option

i just want straight answers, im planning on getting i3 4370, newest i3, beast in single core performance, monster of dual core cpu's

now, as i said i will have this pc for gaming

will that cpu bottleneck my gpu? cuz they say in games its about single core performance

i just want to play games at ultra on 1080p

Wait a few months. Trust me, it's worth it.

The i3 is a decent dual core, but even hyper threading doesn't make up for not having four physical cores.

If you can squeeze something like a i5-4460 and a h97 board you'll be golden

Yes the i3 may bottleneck your gpu.  If you don't plan on OC you can run the stock cooler on an i5, at least until you can get an aftermarket cooler.  What is the overall budget for CPU, MB, and cooler?  It would be helpful to know.

Yes the i3 may bottleneck your gpu.  If you don't plan on OC you can run the stock cooler on an i5, at least until you can get an aftermarket cooler.  What is the overall budget for CPU, MB, and cooler?  It would be helpful to know.

all 3 together?

up to 250€, but only cpu + mb for now, i won't oc, so stock cooler chould be fine

You don't need a 100 euro CPU cooler.  The stock cooler is fine for even a 4.0Ghz OC.  Some people even get 4.2Ghz on the stock cooler.  A 30 euro cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is all you need to get as high of an OC that you chip is capable of.  All you really need is an i5-4690k + Z97 motherboard, shouldn't cost more than 300 euros.  CPU cooler can be added easily when you get more money, it is not a mandatory expense.

If you cannot spend 300 euros, then a locked i5 + compatible motherboard is your best bet, but avoid the FX processors altogether because they will bottleneck that high end of a GPU, and limit your performance in the majority of games.  An i3 should be the minimum you go with, as even the i3 beats the FX processors in the majority of games.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

okay i got 4460 for 180€

now just please give me mobo for about 50-70€ here: https://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/

You aren't going to be able to fit an i5-4460 + H97 motherboard in your budget.

Go for an i5-4440 + B85 motherboard.

i5-4440

Gigabyte B85 Motherboard

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

ok, so last question

its 20€ difference between i3 4370 and i5 4460

so, (in gaming) i5 will be better?

Right, but the motherboards that are compatible with the i5-4460 are much more expensive.

Absolutely, the i5 is worth it over the i3.

Go with the i5-4440 and pair it with a B85 motherboard.  Otherwise, if you can extend your budget, by all means go for the i5-4460 + H97 motherboard.

Right, but the motherboards that are compatible with the i5-4460 are much more expensive.

Absolutely, the i5 is worth it over the i3.

Go with the i5-4440 and pair it with a B85 motherboard.  Otherwise, if you can extend your budget, by all means go for the i5-4460 + H97 motherboard.

thank you

4460 + b85 doesn't work?

hello

i have gtx 970 at home, and now i need cpu

1. my pc will be for gaming, and gaming only

2. please don't start with comments like: get i5.... (i have an option with 4690k, but then i need another +100€  for mobo,  + aftermarket cooler = about +200€, i would need to wait another 2 months to get that)

so this is my budget option

i just want straight answers, im planning on getting i3 4370, newest i3, beast in single core performance, monster of dual core cpu's

now, as i said i will have this pc for gaming

will that cpu bottleneck my gpu? cuz they say in games its about single core performance

i just want to play games at ultra on 1080p

Quoting Linus: "Games get more benefit from more, faster cores".

Do remember that underpowering one part is a RISK, especially with your extremely good 970.

Also, the hyper 212 EVO is a good and cheap cooler.

Dual cores are scum. Plain scum. I have a laptop (yes, the m versions are weaker, but still), with 2 hyperthreaded cores 2,4 ghz. I praise myself lucky to get Titanfall over 20 fps at lowest settings. Just save for a good Quad core Intel CPU :-)

EDIT: Ninja'd by @Faceman on the Hyper 212 EVO :P

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Take Linus's word for it :P

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

thank you

4460 + b85 doesn't work?

Not without a BIOS update, and there is no way to do a BIOS update without a Haswell CPU.