PCI-express 3.0 compatible with pci-expres 2.0 performance difference

Bsantos
Go to solution Solved by Vbgf,

The performance impact is non existent really, maybe, MAYBE 1-2 % in some cases.

i have a small form factor rig and wanted from time to time to place a gpu that uses pci-express 3.0 but the motherboard is pci-express 2.0 wil the preformance impact be really big ?

The performance impact is non existent really, maybe, MAYBE 1-2 % in some cases.

i have a small form factor rig and wanted from time to time to place a gpu that uses pci-express 3.0 but the motherboard is pci-express 2.0 wil the preformance impact be really big ?

You will not notice any difference as long as it's at x16.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Yeah maybe not really. Depends on what card.

SFF soo.. You're prolly using a 7950/770 at max. Those cards will be happy, sometimes you see benchmark scores higher with 2.0 than 3.0.

if it is x16 you will not notice much difference between pci-express 3.0 and 2.0.

Desktop CPU: Intel i5 2500K Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H GPU: EVGA 660TI 2GB Ram: Kingston 8GB 1333Mhz PSU: Unknown 500w Case: Unknown Hard drive:  WD Black 1TB Heatsink: stock OSWindows 8.1

I know my pc sucks but it does what I want it to do. 

Laptop Dell E6320 OSWindows 8.1 / Ubuntu gnome 15.04

Yeah maybe not really. Depends on what card.

SFF soo.. You're prolly using a 7950/770 at max. Those cards will be happy, sometimes you see benchmark scores higher with 2.0 than 3.0.

honestly he could be using a GTX 690/Titan/HD 7990 and I bet there would be no perceptible difference.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Linus has tested this with PCIe 2.0 at 16x, 8x and 4x and you will only see a difference if you go from PCIe 2.0 8x to 4x.

Linus has tested this with PCIe 2.0 at 16x, 8x and 4x and you will only see a difference if you go from PCIe 2.0 8x to 4x.

And PCI-e 3.0 4x = PCI-e 2.0 8x because the difference between 2.0 and 3.0 is double the bandwidth. 

So if a card is fine on PCI-e 2.0 16x then it's fine on PCI-e 3.0 8x because they have the exact same bandwidth.

However, I believe there isn't a single GPU card that can saturate PCI-e 2.0 16x. I'm not sure on Dual GPU, but I know that for single GPU.

Because of this, you will be fine, as I said, as long as it's PCI-e 2.0 16x and not PCI-e 2.0 8x.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I currently have a z68 motherboard with a i2500k (overclocked ofcoarse).

My graphics card is a HD6970.

I want to upgrade/replace my graphics card because of fan noise (i dont want to be without a graphics card while @ RMA)

If i'd buy a gtx 770 could i get a second one without wasting performance on PCI-e 2.0 (running @ 8x in crossfire) or should i but a ivy bridge processor to go with it?

EDIT: i'm gaming on a 1440p monitor but i may play most multiplayer games @ 1080p with black bordsers because the screen is so big that it's really hard to spot you're enemy's.

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

I currently have a z68 motherboard with a i2500k (overclocked ofcoarse).

My graphics card is a HD6970.

I want to upgrade/replace my graphics card because of fan noise (i dont want to be without a graphics card while @ RMA)

If i'd buy a gtx 770 could i get a second one without wasting performance on PCI-e 2.0 (running @ 8x in crossfire) or should i but a ivy bridge processor to go with it?

that mean that you will be running two 770 in 8x

i think you will be ok with the 8x SLI (i don't see a bottleneck there, but that is just me)  ^_^ 

I don't think there is any difference, modern cards don't use up all of the bandwidth 2.0 uses. Don't quote me on anything though because I am not positive.

Hardware: | CPU: i5 3570k | Graphics: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Mobo: MSI z77a-G45 Gaming | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | 

Peripherals: Logitech G502 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Red switch) |