Would it be an upgrade?

Today I have a GTX  Titan in my system. The GTX 980 seems to be faster in many games (1440p), I haven't seen any benchmarks where the Titan has come in above it. If the 980 is better, then I would like to sell the Titan, buy the 980 and maybe even earn some cash. But would the Titan still be better for heavy computing tasks like rendering 3d works and such?

Would it be a smart upgrade? Would it even be an upgrade? Would it be better/equal/worse in gaming, and better/equal/worse in rendering and such that require a lot of gpu horsepower?

The thing is that I think I would be able to sell my Titan for around 5000 maybe 5500 NOK and buy the 980 for 4500 NOK if it is better. Making me a profit of between 500 and 1000 NOK, that would be about 60-120 USD at todays exchange rate.

what is the price of another Titan?

SLi Titans will still eat a GTX980 for breakfast

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

SNIP

my 780ti basically does the same gaming as a titan, the titan was built for compute tasks AND gaming , if you dont do much rendering then the 980 is better

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Do you do any rendering?

I'd buy the 980.

I don't do it as of right now, but I would like to have the ability to. So the 980 seems to the obvious winner here if you look aside from rendering?

what is the price of another Titan?

SLi Titans will still eat a GTX980 for breakfast

I don't want to buy another card, I just thought that it was smart to upgrade if it didn't even cost anything and that I could even earn some money. The price for a new Titan now is around 7500 to 8500 NOK, I'm not really sure.