Screen Tearing With V-sync off, But Input Lag With V-Sync on?

DodgyChris

Hey guys, I've always wondered about screen tearing, I always get it, not on every game, but quite a lot such as guild wars 2 and battlefield 3, I don't play with vsync turned on as it gives input lag, not a large amount but enough to tell the difference between on and off. I have tried limiting the frames to 60, but it still happens?

So chuck me some thoughts and opinions guys about vsync :) Its not a matter of urgency, I just thought id get some more info on the matter.

DodgyChris

Hey guys, I've always wondered about screen tearing, I always get it, not on every game, but quite a lot such as guild wars 2 and battlefield 3, I don't play with vsync turned on as it gives input lag, not a large amount but enough to tell the difference between on and off. I have tried limiting the frames to 60, but it still happens?

So chuck me some thoughts and opinions guys about vsync :) Its not a matter of urgency, I just thought id get some more info on the matter.

DodgyChris

if you have a z77 platform or a z87 platform you can use virtu mvp with virtual vsync, no more screen tear no input lag and run at the highest possible frame rate :) also you can enable triple buffering via nvidia control panel to reduce input lag and use tradition vsync, myself ive never really noticed much of a problem with old school vsync so i usually leave it on, i should note that virtu mvp only works with a single gpu setup, sli and multi gpu cards cannot run with virtu

if you have a z77 platform or a z87 platform you can use virtu mvp with virtual vsync, no more screen tear no input lag and run at the highest possible frame rate :) also you can enable triple buffering via nvidia control panel to reduce input lag and use tradition vsync, myself ive never really noticed much of a problem with old school vsync so i usually leave it on, i should note that virtu mvp only works with a single gpu setup, sli and multi gpu cards cannot run with virtuAh 

Sounds good, thanks buddy, I will give it a try later on :) The screen tearing doesn't really bother me, but if I could stop it that would be cool. 

Sounds good, thanks buddy, I will give it a try later on :) The screen tearing doesn't really bother me, but if I could stop it that would be cool. 

yeah i find if you can get a certain amount of fps over your monitors refresh rate you dont notice it at all, only reason i tend to keep it on is the 690 gets a little loud and hot if i un cap it, im actually selling my 690 as i find i never have a need for the power it puts out at 1080p lol i think a single 770 with lucid is gonna be more then enough for me for a good while to come :) i wish you luck with your setup though, i will note lucid may be a bit finicky to get installed and running. you may need to remove your gpu and make sure your running off your igpu then install everything

V-sync naturally induces extra input lag.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Don't mean to bump an old thread, but personally I found limiting my frames to 59 instead of 60 while using vsync pretty much eliminated the input lag caused by vsync. I've only tried this on bf3, usually I don't run vsync but with a crossfire setup I was getting major screen tearing.