Motherboard and APU for Commodore 64 case mod

Hi all,

I'm starting a case mod of an old Commodore 64 (Bread bin style case) and I'm trying to decide on what motherboard to use with this.  I'm hoping that maybe someone here has done something similar and can offer advice on the best choice of motherboard with an APU that will work ok for basic gaming.

In terms of the case, it's small in there.  Not much in the way of heigth for a large heatsink and not much, if nothing at all in terms of airflow.  So this baby has to run cool so it isn't going to be a beast of a machine, but I would like it to be able to do some minor 3D gaming if possible.

So as I see it I need the following...

• a Mini or Nano ITX motherboard and if possible a motherboard that comes with an APU and small heatsink/fan already fitted.  It has to be as low as possible to get in there under the keyboard!
  • The PSU needs to be external, so the Motherboard needs to be able to use a Laptop style PSU.
  • I'm planning to use Windows 8.1 on the system so I'd like to have a recent enough board so I know there shouldn't be any problems with the support of the OS.

I don't have much experience with these types of motherboards so I'm hoping that someone here might have suggestions on the best board to use.  Something like this is what I have in mind except I can't use this as it has an internal PSU connector...

http://www.ebay.ie/i...=item4879c25e3f

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards.

Wow, hadn't thought of that.  Perfect solution! That was easy :)

Id recommend a AM1 platform with a 5350, It only uses 25 watts and has a Really small heatsink, It doesnt have alot of iGPU power in comparison with the higher end FM2/+ ones But it is probably enough for indies and such.

CPU: AMD 5350 2.05Ghz Quad-Core Processor  ($49.99 @ Directron) 
Motherboard: MSI AM1I Mini ITX AM1 Motherboard  ($29.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $79.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-03 12:28 EST-0500

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Id recommend a AM1 platform with a 5350, It only uses 25 watts and has a Really small heatsink, It doesnt have alot of iGPU power in comparison with the higher end FM2/+ ones But it is probably enough for indies and such.

CPU: AMD 5350 2.05Ghz Quad-Core Processor  ($49.99 @ Directron) 
Motherboard: MSI AM1I Mini ITX AM1 Motherboard  ($29.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $79.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-03 12:28 EST-0500

Here are more info about it,

CPU

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7933/the-desktop-kabini-review-part-1-athlon-5350-am1

iGPU

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7933/the-desktop-kabini-review-part-1-athlon-5350-am1/6

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

That mini ITX motherboard is still giant compared to the NUC motherboards tho. I personally doubt you'll be able to fit one in the housing of a commodore 64.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I've had a look as the MSI boards and the more I look at them, the more I like the NUC.  A big factor for me is getting power to the system.  I can't fit a big PSU in there so the NUC is a nice solution for that.  It's also perfect in terms of size.  just a little over 11cm x 11cm and 3cm in height and that's including the case.  It's a bit pricey in my part of the world, but I think it's a perfect solution.  It might even fit into the more modern 64C version of the case.  

Thanks again.