Anyone into RC cars? need help!

Kyuubixchidori

@Kyuubixchidori Well.. maybe search youtube for Speed Passion Reventon and other combinations.  There are some, but I only watched two.   It could be worth spending some time watching in case I'm wrong about it or you like the performance of what you see. 

Ok But I Will Say If You Ever Want A New Car I have Had Terrific Experience With Those 3 

I was a Slash early adopter haha and I had the two wheel drive version.  It was pretty tricked out, though.  I always liked those 4x4s.   When did you sell yours?

@Kyuubixchidori Well.. maybe search youtube for Speed Passion Reventon and other combinations.  There are some, but I only watched two.   It could be worth spending some time watching in case I'm wrong about it or you like the performance of what you see. 

right. I may spend more because its better to spend 85$ once then 50$ twice. 

I love the video of your car. that was wicked fast. Id love that speed, but Id hate to be stuck to only roads. we just got a ice storm, so the snow was hard. I was able to go drifting around and rooster tails until my MSC started to act up. 

I was a Slash early adopter haha and I had the two wheel drive version.  It was pretty tricked out, though.  I always liked those 4x4s.   When did you sell yours?

It Was My Dads But I Used It A Lot,I Use To Race With My Dad,Uncle,And Grandpa But We Stopped When My Grandma Died

. Id love that speed, but Id hate to be stuck to only roads. 

Totally.  That much speed isn't always that great, too.  Gotta have a lot of space to get that fast, and then there's the distance to stop it while taking into consideration that until you drive it back it's really hard to see.  :P    Also radio interference -- with the upgrades I put in it drawing more amps from the battery, it would occasionally momentarily glitch when driving around parked cars and other obstacles.  That's why I went to that open parking lot for that video.  hah  That's with the AM radio it came with, though.  The new FM radios don't have that problem.

Offroad is definitely more fun and you can much more easily take advantage of acceleration and low-end torque. 

It Was My Dads But I Used It A Lot,I Use To Race With My Dad,Uncle,And Grandpa But We Stopped When My Grandma Died

That's cool. Do you guys ever talk about racing again or did you all lose interest? 

That's cool. Do you guys ever talk about racing again or did you all lose interest? 

I Thing We Still Have One Of Them But We Haven't Raced For A While

Totally.  That much speed isn't always that great, too.  Gotta have a lot of space to get that fast, and then there's the distance to stop it while taking into consideration that until you drive it back it's really hard to see.   :P    Also radio interference -- with the upgrades I put in it drawing more amps from the battery, it would occasionally momentarily glitch when driving around parked cars and other obstacles.  That's why I went to that open parking lot for that video.  hah  That's with the AM radio it came with, though.  The new FM radios don't have that problem.

Offroad is definitely more fun and you can much more easily take advantage of acceleration and low-end torque. 

you know. Im selling my pc for 1300, and rebuilding a new one in the next month or so. Im planing a i5/295x build which is pretty overkill. I Could cut back to a 290 and cut back on ram and such, then Could pick up a 400-500$ towards RC stuff. So instead of going overkill on hardware I dont need...

I Thing We Still Have One Of Them But We Haven't Raced For A While

I think you should. Itd be great bonding with your dad. Itd be less about the actual hobby but the memories, Im sure itd bring back happy things. Id say Just start playing with them or working on them one day and bring it up.

My grandpa always gardened. Me and my dad hate vegetables. we still have a garden even though we don't eat a single thing from it. Its just our thing we do because my grandpa Always did. Its a lot of work, but its just something we do. 

you know. Im selling my pc for 1300, and rebuilding a new one in the next month or so. Im planing a i5/295x build which is pretty overkill. I Could cut back to a 290 and cut back on ram and such, then Could pick up a 400-500$ towards RC stuff. So instead of going overkill on hardware I dont need...

I won't tell you to do that. :)

It depends on how much time you want to spend outside I guess.  Sounds like your spending the money either way.   

You can get a really nice ready-to-run vehicle for around $400.    Don't forget batteries and a charger, though.  Once again, I don't know any of the top brands these days, but if Lipo battery prices have dropped in the years since my RC days, I'd expect another $100 for a quality pack and charger.  

I'd still recommend a Traxxas model, though.  For sure.  And their website has a forum, too, if you wanted the inside skinny on what's up with battery/charger recommendations.

But.. a 295x is a pretty sweet video card, too. 

First world problems, huh.

I won't tell you to do that. :)

It depends on how much time you want to spend outside I guess.  Sounds like your spending the money either way.   

You can get a really nice ready-to-run vehicle for around $400.    Don't forget batteries and a charger, though.  Once again, I don't know any of the top brands these days, but if Lipo battery prices have dropped in the years since my RC days, I'd expect another $100 for a quality pack and charger.  

I'd still recommend a Traxxas model, though.  For sure.  And their website has a forum, too, if you wanted the inside skinny on what's up with battery/charger recommendations.

But.. a 295x is a pretty sweet video card, too. 

First world problems, huh.

or I could you know, save.

well if you want to get specific, I have A desktop and a laptop. Im going off to college soon, Im for sure sold my desktop in a month or so for 1300, and hopefully selling my laptop to get a lighter/smaller one. I can get a I5/295x build for 1300 when its on sale and using micro center.

But, it may be better If I get a hobby id only be able to on the weekends, instead of being able to game everyday. help focus on school, yet still have something of pride

@Kyuubixchidori Save and get both.    B)

A computer and this.

then all I need to do is find a Rc club at the college. 

Some of the nicer ones have dual electric motors though... 

oh wait that one can be changed to go over 70MPH. sold. or would you recommend any gas/nitro ones? I Like the ease of batteries, and they seem more then powerful enough. 

oh wait that one can be changed to go over 70MPH. sold. or would you recommend any gas/nitro ones? I Like the ease of batteries, and they seem more then powerful enough. 

The Gas Ones Take TO Much Maintenance 

70 in the best-case-scenario (proper gearing, smooth terrain, open space, good weather, and all that crap) with a relatively expensive three-cell Lipo battery.  

I had a nitro truck, too.  It wasn't my bag of tea.  Too loud and obnoxious and it required more tuning (the carburetor) than I wanted to do.  In my opinion, it's easier to have fun and get crazy performance from an electric model. 

70 in the best-case-scenario (proper gearing, smooth terrain, open space, good weather, and all that crap) with a relatively expensive three-cell Lipo battery.  

I had a nitro truck, too.  It wasn't my bag of tea.  Too loud and obnoxious and it required more tuning (the carburetor) than I wanted to do.  In my opinion, it's easier to have fun and get crazy performance from an electric model. 

so stick to electric. its just crazy to think it would be close to those speeds. Honestly my check list is

wheelies(not neccessary, but nice

4wd

40mph+

waterproof

truck

so stick to electric. its just crazy to think it would be close to those speeds. Honestly my check list is

wheelies(not neccessary, but nice

4wd

40mph+

waterproof

truck

There are a few different kind of RC trucks.  Monster truck, stadium truck,  short-course truck, and a buggy is still kiiiiind of a truck.. maybe I guess.   The Rustler in that link I posted is a stadium truck. 

I'm don't think there are any 4x4 stadium trucks. (I think that's one of the features that qualifies it as a stadium truck.) Monster trucks can be had 4x4 and made to go 40.  They're not much good for turning at high speeds though because of the higher center of gravity.  

The link that @IAMSWIFT1 posted is for a 4x4 short course electric truck.  It's water proof, and it already has some more-than-decent upgrades.  But it doesn't come with a controller or receiver.  Kinda BYOB there.  I had a different version of the same kind of truck.  Tons of fun.  It was the last one I sold because I used it most.