Anyone into RC cars? need help!

Kyuubixchidori

hey everyone!

So was bored this weekend, and broke out the old Rc cars. as in 3 tamiya blackfoots. 

used a engine that was a hop up for a RC boat, now the car im using freaking flies. Estimating 25-30 mph. Its to fast for inside, it just spins the tires under 10mph. 

now, the electronics are ancient. I want to get digital electronics, instead of these old electronics, any suggestions? is it worth the upgrade? is there a more powerful engine I can get? any other upgrades?

any help would be wonderful! thanks

I haven't been much into the RC hobby for a while but I'm sure Castle Creation (the people who make like, the mamba and stuff) probably have some brushless motor's and ESC's that will work, luckily a lot of people still love the old Tamiya's so I'm sure someone on on the internet might be able to help you better.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

i remember back in my off-road jrx days a simple two channel radio/transmitter,

speed controller, 6-cell (7.2v) battery and 27 turn (stock) motor was all that was

needed, but now, the battery tech, motors and electronics is a bit different.

you are saying engine as in 2-stroke nitro or electric motor?

hey everyone!

So was bored this weekend, and broke out the old Rc cars. as in 3 tamiya blackfoots. 

used a engine that was a hop up for a RC boat, now the car im using freaking flies. Estimating 25-30 mph. Its to fast for inside, it just spins the tires under 10mph. 

now, the electronics are ancient. I want to get digital electronics, instead of these old electronics, any suggestions? is it worth the upgrade? is there a more powerful engine I can get? any other upgrades?

Oh man I was elbows deep in RC some years ago.  I had a few Traxxas vehicles.  But then I realized I had to calm down, so I sold them all except my 18th scale Team Associated RC18R.  It was/is majorly upgraded and goes over 50 on a 3 cell lipo.   I haven't done anything with it in quite a while though.  It needs some repairs, but all the electronics (ESC, servo, motor, radio) are still sound.  I still have a few of the bodies, too.  I'd need a new battery; mine all puffed from neglect.  

As for your upgrade idea.. ya it's generally worth it.  I'm not familiar with any Tamiya vehicles, though.   However, upgrading something always moves the weak-link some where else.  Keep that in mind when you break a new part and consider upgrading that part. :)

What were you thinking about buying?  I'm out of the loop with popular brands, but if there are specs, I can opine. 

edit//  So I looked at the Blackfood on wikipedia.  It's a classic.  I wouldn't upgrade it too much.  The plastics might not be in the best shape.  If you plow into something at high speed, you might break more than you could replace.   I might look for a very high-turn brushed motor and new tires so that you can off-road it over lots and lots of things (crawl) instead of speed runs. 

hey everyone!

I would love to build an RC car someday, one that can operate on shortwave radio so that I can control it from across the ocean.

I'm super into this sort of thing at the moment, I'd like to hear what you end up going with! :D

thanks! will take a look 

i remember back in my off-road jrx days a simple two channel radio/transmitter,

speed controller, 6-cell (7.2v) battery and 27 turn (stock) motor was all that was

needed, but now, the battery tech, motors and electronics is a bit different.

you are saying engine as in 2-stroke nitro or electric motor?

thats pretty much all these are lol, by engine, I mean electric motor. 

-snip-

well see, the thing is its only 2wd. So I was thinking to build it more in the opposite, just straight up speed. Im bad, Im ramping it and its going flying though the air even though the suspension is almost nonexistent right now. I need to get new suspension before I do to much more, but so far its held up to flying though the air, let alone just driving on the concrete. 

So because of the only 2wd, its more of a grass/street car, cant handle snow or sand really. 

I would love to build an RC car someday, one that can operate on shortwave radio so that I can control it from across the ocean.

I'm super into this sort of thing at the moment, I'd like to hear what you end up going with! :D

yup! will do. Ill upload a video of me bashing it later after I get some upgrades.

Parts are stupid cheap, so its hard to drop 200$ for a newer car when all this needs is new suspension(40$) and maybe a new ESC and elecrtonics. as this uses a servo to control it, and its kinda janky. Its a mechanical ESC if I have my terms correct. 

Its a mechanical ESC if I have my terms correct. 

Pretty close.  MSC, mechanical speed controller versus ESC, electronic speed controller.

ESCs will help with battery life because there's not as much wasted power from the big resistor on the MSC.  

I used to do a bit of RC drift but I barely know anything about rc cars :P

RC was my main hobby for the last 7 years. My dads vintage blackfoot was my first rc car. I probably wouldn't hop up a blackfoot with too much power, but here are a couple suggestions.

ESC (electronic speed control) and motor

for speed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-Combo-EZRUN-60A-SL-Brushless-ESC-9T-3650-4300KV-Motor-1-10-RC-Car-/290746530675?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b1d7fb73

For power 

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-systems/brushless-motors/inrunner-car/leopard-3650-3650kv-inrunner.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HobbyWing-QuicRun-60A-2-3S-Waterproof-Brushless-ESC-for-1-10-RC-Car-Truck-Buggy-/311293205976?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487a855dd8

Radio 

http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-systems-servos/radios/surface-radio-system/flysky-gt3b.html

You should check out some RC forums, here are some good ones

http://www.ultimaterc.com/ (just follow his rules and its a great forum. I got banned because I was a little shit head in 8th grade). 

http://www.rcsparks.com/forum/

http://www.rctech.net/forum/

-snip-

-snip-

thanks guys!

Anyway, so I should pick up a new electric motor and a ESC? These blackfoots dont mean much. and if they break they break. they just been sitting for the last 15 years so it truely doesnt matter.

Then when/if they break, I can just buy a roller and swap in the new electric motor/esc, and the receiver. that would be cheaper then buying a whole new car, and I still get the nice upgraded electronics. 

sounds good? so new ESC/motor, and springs. is there anything else I should look at? 

and for power vs speed, do you mean low end torque vs high end speed? Can I just get one motor and swap out the gears?

thanks guys!

Anyway, so I should pick up a new electric motor and a ESC? These blackfoots dont mean much. and if they break they break. they just been sitting for the last 15 years so it truely doesnt matter.

Then when/if they break, I can just buy a roller and swap in the new electric motor/esc, and the receiver. that would be cheaper then buying a whole new car, and I still get the nice upgraded electronics. 

sounds good? so new ESC/motor, and springs. is there anything else I should look at? 

and for power vs speed, do you mean low end torque vs high end speed? Can I just get one motor and swap out the gears?

Look at the KV rating of the motors. Generally lower kv means more torque but lower speed and higher kv means less torque and higher speeds. For something like the blackfoot somewhere around 3000-4500kv would be good. I would probably go somewhere in the middle. Then there is 2 pole vs 4 pole. This is basically the magnet arrangement in the motor. More poles  means more torque. Gearing can get everything just the way you want it, but there are limits. 

Big pinion and small spur = really fast and needs a lower kv motor

big pinion and big spur = kind of pointless and probably wont fit. 

Small pinion and big spur = torque and slow speeds

and so on.There are gearing charts available online that have ideal gearing for certain setups.

Batteries and chargers are another topic. I recall the Blackfoot having a compartment that would probably only accomodate a 6 cell Nicad or NIMH battery. Nicad is obsolete and NIMH is just barely ahead of nicad. Lipo (lithium polymer) is the common way to go now, but you could be happy with a few 6 cell nimh batteries or a small 2 cell lipo battery.

These blackfoots dont mean much. and if they break they break. they just been sitting for the last 15 years so it truely doesnt matter.

Aww you hurt his feelings. ;)   I get where you're coming from, though.  They're old.  But if they're still in good condition, consider keeping that way... kinda like an old restored Ford or something.  

Anyway, so I should pick up a new electric motor and a ESC?

**.. is there anything else I should look at? **

A new motor would probably be more powerful, but if the gear box has plastic gears (not uncommon) that are brittle from age, that might become an issue.  But ya, you'd probably be happier with an ESC and new motor, and if the gears are replaceable, that's a plus, too.  But ya, my suggestion above was to set up the truck for plenty of low-end torque and acceleration with a high-turn (like 40 or 50+) brushed motor.  That type of setup would reduce the top speed.  

Depending on the condition of some other specifics on the truck, it's tough to answer the question I quoted above between asterisks. :)  But, that's not necessarily a downside.  Most people get into hobby-grade RCs because they enjoy breaking things, repairing things, and the occasional upgrade.  It just depends on how much you want to spend on it over time, and how much play-time you have for it.  

@nerdyrcdriver is right about his kV advice, but those are ratings of brushless motors.  Brushless motors are superior in pretty much every way that matters, but they're also more expensive <than brushed> and need ESCs that are compatible with brushless motors.   I've been getting the impression you might not end up wanting to spend that much.  And to be honest, a brushless setup sounds like a pile of rubble waiting to happen to that classic Blackfoot you have. 

My very first suggestion to you is to look at the parts availability for the Blackfoot. Not just the obvious stuff like tires and motors.  Axels, arms, caster blocks, gears, bushings, etc.  If they're rare and/or expensive, you might consider an alternative to starting it on a path of upgrades.  

I absolutely loved RC cars when i was a kid, im super jealous of these drones kids (and big kids) get to play with these days, i thought of buying one for myself but i would feel silly sitting in a park alone playing with one lol

If i had a kid of my own to use as cover like Linus did i would get one for sure :)

I absolutely loved RC cars when i was a kid, im super jealous of these drones kids (and big kids) get to play with these days, i thought of buying one for myself but i would feel silly sitting in a park alone playing with one lol

If i had a kid of my own to use as cover like Linus did i would get one for sure :)

Clubs, man.  Check around wherever you live for that kind of thing.  See if there are people that tend to meet up and certain places with their stuff.  If there's a hobby store nearby, that's the first place I'd look and ask. 

Watts300 is right. 

I am so used to recommending stuff for new entry level vehicles. I forgot about the plastic gearboxes. 40-50 turn seems kind of high. That is rock climbing stuff. 

Newenthusiast, just find a LHS (local hobby shop) and you will see that there are plenty of grown men not afraid to feel silly playing with rc cars in a parking lot. 

-snip-

thank you! this actually clears up a whole lot. 

My very first suggestion to you is to look at the parts availability for the Blackfoot. Not just the obvious stuff like tires and motors.  Axels, arms, caster blocks, gears, bushings, etc.  If they're rare and/or expensive, you might consider an alternative to starting it on a path of upgrades.  

Yeah. Theres a ton of parts, thats what I been looking at the last few days. you can get brand new sheets of plastic parts for it for 10ish dollars. You can get torn down part cars for 30. metal gears are a whole 7-15$. I was thinking buying things that would carry on to a next build, and just bash until I can get a new body. The blackfoot is a decent platform, but is old and some things you just cant find. If I break a wierd part, Im done. dont want something I cant fix that I dropped 200 into. 

Besides computers, RC is what I want to get into. This is my stepping stone into rc aircraft. 

the cars themselves are pretty nice, its a shame I only have a body to one of them. I use a custom body right now that doesnt look the best. they are not quite shelf queens

40-50 turn seems kind of high. That is rock climbing stuff. 

Climbing, ya.  But I guess since you said so, maybe that would be a bit too high and slow for him.  29 would be good.  I believe that's considered "stock." 

Besides computers, RC is what I want to get into. This is my stepping stone into rc aircraft. 

Hell ya.  I would recommend considering the Traxxas Rustler.  There are a couple versions with different kind of pre-installed electronics and stuff, but it's very popular and replacement/aftermarket parts are in abundance.  

This is the car I have left. It's bloody fast.  I apologize for the crappy quality and stupid subtitles. :)   I recorded it several years ago with a digital camera... before I even had an iPhone that recorded video.  I'd love to get it back running again.  I will eventually.   

Climbing, ya.  But I guess since you said so, maybe that would be a bit too high and slow for him.  29 would be good.  I believe that's considered "stock." 

Hell ya.  I would recommend considering the Traxxas Rustler.  There are a couple versions with different kind of pre-installed electronics and stuff, but it's very popular and replacement/aftermarket parts are in abundance.  

This is the car I have left. It's bloody fast.  I apologize for the crappy quality and stupid subtitles. :)   I recorded it several years ago with a digital camera... before I even had an iPhone that recorded video.  I'd love to get it back running again.  I will eventually.   

Yep, the rustler is great. The rustler was my 3rd hobby grade rc car. Great platform, tons of upgrades, easy to work on, parts available. Just don't get a super old one like I did. It needed a whole gearbox upgrade to keep it from tearing apart under brushless power. HPI is good as well, but their parts come in expensive packs with stuff that you probably won't even have to replace. 

I've never heard of the brand (keep in mind I haven't shopped for years, though) but the price has me dubious.  

A direct comparison is what I'm familiar with.  Traxxas sells their motor and ESC as a combo, and it's $143 here.  (I'm not suggesting you buy it.)  If you compare the specs of the two, the ESC on the one you linked has a maximum amperage of 25A. The one I linked handles 200 steady.     The pull from the battery on the Speed Passion system isn't going to be very high.  What I might expect to see for performance is a potential for high speed because of the kV rating, but a very slow start.  Probably no wheel spin. 

At that price range, I'd go for a brushed set up. 

hey everyone!

I have Had Personal Experience With These http://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Brushless-Course-Platinum-Edition/dp/B00A0KQH84http://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Rustler-Water-Battery-Charger/dp/B000JI6DAE , And http://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Bandit-Extreme-Battery-Charger/dp/B002VP2SZC

I've never heard of the brand (keep in mind I haven't shopped for years, though) but the price has me dubious.  

A direct comparison is what I'm familiar with.  Traxxas sells their motor and ESC as a combo, and it's $143 here.  (I'm not suggesting you buy it.)  If you compare the specs of the two, the ESC on the one you linked has a maximum amperage of 25A. The one I linked handles 200 steady.     The pull from the battery on the Speed Passion system isn't going to be very high.  What I might expect to see for performance is a potential for high speed because of the kV rating, but a very slow start.  Probably no wheel spin. 

ah okay. Id like to keep it under 125$ for all my upgrades because thats what Im selling my old tablet for. 

40ish$ for springs, so that leaves 85$. I want top speed, but being able to pull a wheelie would be sweet. I feel like my current motor could do it, but asphalt is so smooth and slippery so its just spinning for days.

Granted, smooth asphalt with a thin layer of snow, means nothing but drifting. Its fun, but hard to test much. 

that and it seemed off today. For some reason the body was hitting the back right wheel. Turns out I kinda broke the plastic piece that the suspesnion attaches to. 

and today, the reverse stopped working. The MSC still moves like it should, but if you pin it all the way back to reverse, the is just a bad smell and nothing happens. So Im assuming I got water or something in it and broke it. So a waterproof electronics is a must

see, I wanted a traxxas, but I like the 1/10 scale Truck style like the first one. the problem is I dont have 400$ to drop on it. Unless I start dipping into my 295x fund

SNIP

Ok But I Will Say If You Ever Want A New Car I have Had Terrific Experience With Those 3