First new PC build in 10+ years

xDLGx

Sorry if the post is long but I'm new on the forums so an intro is required. It's been over 10 years since I last built a computer system, I actually used to work extra at a computer store back then. I think the last system I built had an AMD Athlon XP 1500 MHz or something in it…

Felt it was time to get back into this old hobby of actually building my own PC and after watching a lot of tech videos and reading a lot of reviews I found Linux Tech Tips to be an excellent source of information with top notch vids that manage to be informative, easy to follow and funny all at the same time…. so I signed up here.

Today I do all my work on Macbook Pro with external screen. My last PC was pre-built and is from late 2008 (i7 920), with upgraded graphics cards since then (dual 580s) and replaced faulty memory.

I hope to finish my new build during July or at least before my g/f gets back from her seasonal employment and I (hopefully) start my new job.

Moving on to the planned build:

I don't have any set budget as I can afford a beast system BUT I do have an inner voice telling me "do you really need this crap?" and it stops me from going overboard with components I won't be using to their full extent.

I've decided to go with a black and red theme, it looks nice and it's cheaper as there are more parts/brands to choose from that are red and black.

I won't bother listing prices as I'm in Sweden so any prices will just appear outrageous to most of you. If I could import from the US I would but the customs fees and added VAT would almost make it pointless, not to mention the hassle if something is broken.

Parts:

Lian Li PC-V2120X - horribly expensive chassi but it's timeless, door can be opened the "correct way" for me and it has wheels. Lots of room for adding more components later.

Corsair AX1200i Digital - expensive but very future proof and 7 years warranty which is insane. I might still go for the 860i version but I'd hate to see that lack overhead with future graphics cards in SLI and everything overclocked.

MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming - really like the look and reviews I've seen have been good.

i7 4770K - price difference is so small so I don't see any point in buying lower-end versions. Remember when I bought my AMD K6 200MHz for more than twice the price of this CPU... long ago.

Corsair 16GB DDR3 Vengeance Pro Red 2400MHz - might go 32GB but I have to read up more on the usefulness of ram disks nowadays. Even if I probably won't be running the memory at 2400 I really like to have overhead on certified memory, makes sure it's stable. If I get 32GB I'll pick lower clock speed ones.

Intel 520 series 2.5" 240GB SSD - debating if I should get two right away and RAID 0 them.

Optical drives and mechanical hard drives - I'll probably just grab those from my current PC.

Things I'm still debating is water cooling, I want to do custom water cooling, CPU and GPU but probably starting with the CPU only. I'll need to get the chassi before I can plan exactly what to do but a 360 rad in the top is the most likely outcome.

I'm also undecided on the GPU. Not sure if I should wait and see what the Radeon 9000 series brings and just use one or two of my GTX 580s until then… or if should sell the 580s and get something now. I'm sitting at a 30" 2560x1600 DELL monitor so I need some juice when playing games.

Dedicated sound card is also up for debate, I'll have to see how the onboard audio on the MSI board is first. ASUS Xonar looks cool otherwise.

Case lights… even though the V2120X doesn't have any windows I plan for some internal lighting, and it's possible I might mod one of the side panels to have a window or see if I can find custom side panels online somewhere (for an arm and a leg I'm sure).

So that's my plan so far. Comments are welcome, especially when it comes to ram disks and sound cards. 

Peace!

I have the MSI-Z77a G45 Gaming. I have issues with the onboard audio. Not sure if it is my fault or not. Just something to consider.

But overall you have the right idea. If I were you I would hold out and see what 9000 series has to offer and then make your decision on what GPU to purchase.

Hardware: | CPU: i5 3570k | Graphics: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Mobo: MSI z77a-G45 Gaming | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | 

Peripherals: Logitech G502 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Red switch) |

If you are rocking dual-580's I'd totally wait for the 9000 series to come out.  Unless you decided to stick with Nvidia that is. 

i5-3570K @4.2ghz | Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 (2x8GB) | 120GB Vertex 3/640GB WD 7200RPM | AMD HD7950 @ 1025mhz | 600W Corsair CS600 | Hyper 212 CPU Cooler | 5x 120mm fans 79cfm | Ultra Defender Case

I would tell you not to wait on the 9000 series if you didn't have 580's already. Just wait in regards to that. 

The PSU you chose seems overkill, even for SLI 580's.

For reference, a system with a 4670k and SLI 780's uses 750w of power, approximately. I feel 1000w would be fine for a system with SLI of a flagship GPU (9970 or 780) and a CPU like the 4770k. Though you won't notice a difference between the 4670k and the 4770k. If the price difference is minimal though, why not? lol

I'm using the Asus Xonar DSX ($30) and it's good. I only just got it today, but if the MSI board you selected doesn't have good onboard audio, then I would just get that one.

What RAM dimms are you choosing? 4x4GB or 2x8GB? I would go with 2x8GB. Simply so you have room to upgrade if you ever want it.

If you do go with SLI and custom water cooling, you will likely want at least 480mm total rad space. Just for good overhead. 360mm would work, but you wouldn't have much wiggle room imo. Depends on what fans you use and the FPI (fins per inch) of the rads you get.

Overall, looks like a good build though. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

What's your guesstimated budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

My guess is that the budget might end up around 4000 USD (keep in mind that you get more PC for 4000 USD in the US or Canada compared to here). The parts I've more or less already selected lands at ~2550 USD.

The 4000 USD includes a new GPU whichever it ends up being (plan to get a strong single GPU and expand later when needed). Also includes all parts for at least CPU watercooling as I plan to start with that and I'll probably get a kit. It should cover a stand alone soundcard if I end up getting one later.

I'm getting 8 gb ram sticks for sure.

I was planning for a 360 radiator with high quality fans as that should fit very well at the top of the case (3 x 120mm cutouts there). It should be enough for both CPU and future GPUs but if it's not I'll just have to get another radiator in there somehow... or fit one externally out back. This is why I'll just do a simple loop for the CPU first.

The PSU is a difficult choice. I wish the Corsair AX digital series had a 1000w option but it jumps from 860w to 1200w. In a future SLI setup with high end GPUs there won't be much overhead with 860w, especially if I end up with AMD cards. I doubt they'll get their act together with the power consumption.

Thanks for the input guys!

My guess is that the budget might end up around 4000 USD (keep in mind that you get more PC for 4000 USD in the US or Canada compared to here). The parts I've more or less already selected lands at ~2550 USD.

The 4000 USD includes a new GPU whichever it ends up being (plan to get a strong single GPU and expand later when needed). Also includes all parts for at least CPU watercooling as I plan to start with that and I'll probably get a kit. It should cover a stand alone soundcard if I end up getting one later.

I was planning for a 360 radiator with high quality fans as that should fit very well at the top of the case (3 x 120mm cutouts there). It should be enough for both CPU and future GPUs but if it's not I'll just have to get another radiator in there somehow... or fit one externally out back. This is why I'll just do a simple loop for the CPU first.

The PSU is a difficult choice. I wish the Corsair AX digital series had a 1000w option but it jumps from 860w to 1200w. In a future SLI setup with high end GPUs there won't be much overhead with 860w, especially if I end up with AMD cards. I doubt they'll get their act together with the power consumption.

These are the PSU's I'd trust and suggest for 1000w that aren't Corsair.

NZXT NP-1GM-1000A

Silverstone SST-ST1000-G Evolution

If you can find them in Sweden. 

I personally always look to Silverstone, NZXT, or Corsair for my PSU's. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

We do have access to pretty much all brands as far as PSUs go. We'll see where it ends up, if I feel like saving some money I'll probably get the 860i for now and then upgrade later. I figure the resell value should be alright on the 860i... with 7 years warranty and all.

EVGA Supernova 1000W G2 is super good and it has 10 year warranty ;)

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

You have to quote someone's post or else they don't get a notification that you replied to them.

what are you intending to use this system for? It's quite powerful/expensive.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

EVGA Supernova 1000W G2 is super good and it has 10 year warranty ;)

I haven't got any experience with EVGA PSUs. EVGA is probably the one brand that's got the least exposure over here. It's mostly just their Hydro series of cards that you see. I had no idea they had a 10 year warranty, it's not being advertised well.

Either way, I ended up getting the 1200i from Corsair. I've started ordering parts.

You have to quote someone's post or else they don't get a notification that you replied to them.

what are you intending to use this system for? It's quite powerful/expensive.

It's pretty much only for games and for the fun of building and customizing a PC again. I do all my work on Mac.

I was actually thinking of going AMD for this build as it's cheaper and the in-game performance is pretty much identical unless you're playing at such low resolution that the CPU becomes the bottleneck. Reason I went Intel anyway is really that the AM3+ platform is just old... I don't like buying motherboards that are borderline ancient at this point.

I haven't got any experience with EVGA PSUs. EVGA is probably the one brand that's got the least exposure over here. It's mostly just their Hydro series of cards that you see. I had no idea they had a 10 year warranty, it's not being advertised well.

Either way, I ended up getting the 1200i from Corsair. I've started ordering parts.

It's pretty much only for games and for the fun of building and customizing a PC again. I do all my work on Mac.

I was actually thinking of going AMD for this build as it's cheaper and the in-game performance is pretty much identical unless you're playing at such low resolution that the CPU becomes the bottleneck. Reason I went Intel anyway is really that the AM3+ platform is just old... I don't like buying motherboards that are borderline ancient at this point.

Darn, too late.  I have an EVGA PSuU and it is just amazing like *nerdgasm*.  But good choice going with amd ;)

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Darn, too late.  I have an EVGA PSuU and it is just amazing like *nerdgasm*.  But good choice going with amd ;)

But I went with Intel :p I spent a good week or so making the decision though.

But I went with Intel :P I spent a good week or so making the decision though.

Well if you had the money for Intel go ahead! Intel CPUs are great, you'll enjoy