New Canon 70D is (auto)focusing on video

Raptus

So today, as expected, Canon announced the new 70D. A new DSLR-camera which builds on the three year old 60D.

Read more on The Verge: http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/2/4484098/canon-eos-70d-dslr-announced-new-filmmaking-autofocus-dual-pixel-cmos

So, I'm an avid videographer and photographer. I have the 650D, but I want to upgrade. I shoot mostly video, so the lack of proper auto-focus is a setback in situations I have to run around and get shots. With the new 70D Canon promises smooth and quick auto-focus with some awesome new tech specifically built around the cameras video mode. 

In my opinion this could really be big for DSLR video. It looks like Canon is starting to take the competition from cameras like the Blacmagic Cinema camera. If the new auto-focus system works like the claim DSLR video will indeed take a step in a direction towards proper video camera function. However, there are some very important things we don't know yet.

Will the camera let you disable AGC? Can you monitor audio levels while recording? Why is there no headphone output for audio monitoring? 

To me it seems the 70D tries very hard to compel video shooters like me, but the lack of proper audio monitoring makes the 70D not much better than the 60D. Yes, auto-focus is a big deal, but for folks like me manual focusing is really in our fingers. In most cases manual focus in actually preferred since you have better control over the image. In addition, Canon mentions nothing about what lenses will be working with the new focus system. Do you need the STM-lenses to make it work? If it works with regular lenses like the L-series from Canon, will they make alot of noise while focusing? In that case it would just be stupid. The sound recording would be ruined. 

Lastly, Magic Lantern might be the solution that makes the 70D a great camera for video. The 60D already have full ML support and can output sound with a special cable, display audio levels and so on. It will however take some time. The beta-version of ML for 650D is not yet finished either. A ML-version for 70D is probably far off.

Until 70D proves it can handle proper AF and proper sound recording, I'm not sold on the camera. As the 5D Mark II and 60D are very cheap at the moment I see no reason why you would't go for the full frame camera or a cheaper 60D with ML and an L-series lens for the same price. 

Sorry for the long text, but it's a topic I'm very passionate about. 

Current build: Antec P180, Asus P8Z68 Pro, Intel i5-2500k, Asus GTX 570 2GB, Patriot 16GB 1600MHz, Corsair HX 650W.

New build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11270-video-editing-workstation-build/

It's almost the same as 600D but i think the 600D is better  :)

It's almost the same as 600D but i think the 600D is better  :)

You're kidding right?

The 70D is better speced than the 600D. Although the 600D is good, it's not comparable when you look at it detailed. Hobby shooters may not notice a difference, but the extra megapixels, shooting rate and focus points does make the 70D better that the 600D.  

Current build: Antec P180, Asus P8Z68 Pro, Intel i5-2500k, Asus GTX 570 2GB, Patriot 16GB 1600MHz, Corsair HX 650W.

New build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11270-video-editing-workstation-build/