When are Steamroller Desktop CPUs releasing?

I jumped the gun & bought myself an FX 8320 a month ago , AMD hadn't released the server roadmap until way after I bought my CPU.

The way I see it, if you want an AMD system right now is either get an FM2 board with an A10 6600K, disable the graphics portion & overclock the hell out of it & wait for steamroller.

OR buy an FX 8320 & a cheap used 990FX Asus board & also overclock the hell out of it, if indeed AMD is not releasing 8 core or 6 core steamroller CPUs & is indeed discontinuing the AM3+ socket, keep the rig for a year, 8 cores will be plenty for upcoming games & just upgrade with excavator.

Bummer. I think they are not going to give up on 6 and 8 core cpus. Anyway, whatever the case may be I decided to go for the FX-8350. Red Team here I come  :P

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

This is exactly what I fear.

Yellowdragon claims that AMD has confirmed the FX-8350 successor for 2014 'time and time again'. But I'm still waiting for him to provide a source...

But I don't understand how AMD can not have a high-core-count server part. Don't they currently have 12 core and 16 core operton CPUs? And that many cores are actually useful for some server workloads... so how can they switch to just having a 4 core server part?

When an architecture is released it starts at servers and works its way down, this has been shown time and time again, look up Vishera and Bulldozer, here is the source they you are so hell bent on, if the server roadmap says that steamroller arcitecture is going to be used then usually from prior timeframes it takes a few months to get to the desktop market segment, do some analysis of dat and its easy to pick up steamroller will launch in 2014, AMD is not just going to up and quit making CPUs which is what many are making it out to be when they don't annouce anything, AMD since the beginning of its existance never really had a clear defined processor roadmap like intel with their tick tock cycle, http://www.extremetech.com/computing/158901-amd-server-assault-2014-roadmap

When an architecture is released it starts at servers and works its way down, this has been shown time and time again, look up Vishera and Bulldozer, here is the source they you are so hell bent on, if the server roadmap says that steamroller arcitecture is going to be used then usually from prior timeframes it takes a few months to get to the desktop market segment, do some analysis of dat and its easy to pick up steamroller will launch in 2014, AMD is not just going to up and quit making CPUs which is what many are making it out to be when they don't annouce anything, AMD since the beginning of its existance never really had a clear defined processor roadmap like intel with their tick tock cycle, http://www.extremetech.com/computing/158901-amd-server-assault-2014-roadmap

So if server chips are released in the first half of 2014 we should expect desktop CPUs a year+ from today.

Dare I say we may also see both DDR3 and DDR4 compatibility on them? (Like they did in the past with DDR2 and DDR3)

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

sotiris.bos, on 02 Jul 2013 - 7:08 PM, said:

So if server chips are released in the first half of 2014 we should expect desktop CPUs a year+ from today.

Dare I say we may also see both DDR3 and DDR4 compatibility on them? (Like they did in the past with DDR2 and DDR3)

On the AM3+ platform I doubt it,steamroller is a am3+ chip so I dont see them making the leap to DDR4 when the only boards that will have DDR4 is Haswell-E (chopped down server chips)

Xellithium I hate to say this but please gtfo every topic about AMD telling people to go with nvidia/intel because after watching your posts around the forum the fanboy is so damn obvious it's so annoying :/ and AMD's octacores are indeed true eight cores it simply depends on what you define a "true core" to be honest that term doesn't really make sense as it's either a core or not ._.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Xellithium I hate to say this but please gtfo every topic about AMD telling people to go with nvidia/intel because after watching your posts around the forum the fanboy is so damn obvious it's so annoying :/ and AMD's octacores are indeed true eight cores it simply depends on what you define a "true core" to be honest that term doesn't really make sense as it's either a core or not ._.

I've noticed the same thing about Xellithium, 95% of the time he's plain rude. Kind of like a spoiled child sometimes, and mostly not backing up his claims. If you can't respect other people's opinions then you have no place on internet forums. We users must support the arms race in the silicone war, since it's our money the battles are being fought for, and we are the ones that stand to benefit mostly from it.

Back on topic: my estimate is that you won't see a steamroller in your hands till after christmas next year, or at least Q3 2014. If that's too long to wait then just get the 8350, It's a great chip, and in my eyes more "future proof" than the current intel oferings, for the reasons other users stated above.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

On the AM3+ platform I doubt it,steamroller is a am3+ chip so I dont see them making the leap to DDR4 when the only boards that will have DDR4 is Haswell-E (chopped down server chips)

You never know. Maybe we'll see some innovation for the first time in this decade.

Spoiler

You know what really grinds my gears: the AMD supported motherboards aren't as good as mobos with intel z77/z87 chipsets IMHO (considering support and overall goodies). But i might be wrong.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

You know what really grinds my gears: the AMD supported motherboards aren't as good as mobos with intel z77/z87 chipsets IMHO (considering support and overall goodies). But i might be wrong.

Blame the board manufacturers, not AMD, its up to the board manufacturers to decide on what features they put on there motherboards, when it comes to the AMD sockets they usually dont bother with the fancy features and diffrent color schemes as AMD cpus just are not as popular as intel chips. Hopefully with steamroller the companies will roll out some new boards, I find it sad that I only have one pick of motherboard for 4way crossfire or 4 way sli, the GXA-990FX-UD7, a few more option would be nice :/. 

Blame the board manufacturers, not AMD, its up to the board manufacturers to decide on what features they put on there motherboards, when it comes to the AMD sockets they usually dont bother with the fancy features and diffrent color schemes as AMD cpus just are not as popular as intel chips. Hopefully with steamroller the companies will roll out some new boards, I find it sad that I only have one pick of motherboard for 4way crossfire or 4 way sli, the GXA-990FX-UD7, a few more option would be nice :/. 

I DO blame the board manufacturers, not AMD, I know...

Compared to z77 I think they are more featureful, besides the lack of 3.0 pcie on most.

Spoiler

"AMD boards have more features for the price", i think Linus said that in his stream a long time ago or it may be Logan, can't remember. Will try to find some to point out.

EDIT: Basically what i found is that on AMD side you get more PCIe 16 with sli or crossfire ( i mean ""PCIE2/PCIE3 @ x16 mode"") compared to intel's(PCIE2: x16 mode PCIE3: x4) thou AMD's were both 2.0 and intel's are 3.0 on 1st one and 2.0 on second one.

Also that Intel's RAM freq supp is higher (+2800(OC)) compared to AMD's (2100(OC)) though AMD's 1866 is not OC while intel's is.

4 + 2 Power Phase Design on intel to 4 + 1 on AMD., And Intel's got a 1 x USB 3.0 header (supports 2 USB 3.0 ports) ehil amd has not. Soo i didn't find what i said earlier true.

Keep in mind i compared two boards from the same manufacturer for the same price:

AMD: http://shop.sky.bg/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_7&product_id=1841

Intel: http://shop.sky.bg/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_6&product_id=2009

Let me know if it was fair to compare these mobos to each other and if i missed anything.

Edited by Vbgf

Vbgf, on 03 Jul 2013 - 5:45 PM, said:

"AMD boards have more features for the price", i think Linus said that in his stream a long time ago or it may be Logan, can't remember. Will try to find some to point out.

EDIT: Basically what i found is that on AMD side you get more PCIe 16 with sli or crossfire ( i mean ""PCIE2/PCIE3 @ x16 mode"") compared to intel's(PCIE2: x16 mode PCIE3: x4) thou AMD's were both 2.0 and intel's are 3.0 on 1st one and 2.0 on second one.

Also that Intel's RAM freq supp is higher (+2800(OC)) compared to AMD's (2100(OC)) though AMD's 1866 is not OC while intel's is.

4 + 2 Power Phase Design on intel to 4 + 1 on AMD., And Intel's got a 1 x USB 3.0 header (supports 2 USB 3.0 ports) ehil amd has not. Soo i didn't find what i said earlier true.

Keep in mind i compared two boards from the same manufacturer for the same price:

AMD: http://shop.sky.bg/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_7&product_id=1841

Intel: http://shop.sky.bg/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_6&product_id=2009

Let me know if it was fair to compare these mobos to each other and if i missed anything.

Logan said that when he compared them to the 3570K, 3770K and 3820. Some amd mobos have compatibility for 2400 RAM, the 990FX chipset supports 6 native SATA III ports (4 more than Intel's Z77) and some have 3rd party USB 3 controllers. Z77 has naitive 16 pcie 3.0 lanes which are multiplied up to 40 in the "southbridge" but with added latency. 990FX has 42 2.0 lanes. Power phase design has nothing to do with the chipset and is up to the motherboard manufacturer to decide.

This is all accurate only for Ivy Bridge and the Z77 chipset, NOT Haswell and the Z87.

Spoiler

How many people that can afford 4 GPUs run AMD CPUs in their system instead of an i7 extreme? (or 3930K)

Spoiler

That roadmap doesn't give much hope for a high end successor to fx-8350 now does it? According to that there is not even an 8 core steamroller server part.

I don't buy the argument that the lack of info is because AMD never had clear roadmaps; it's necessary for PR and shareholders. If we rewind the clock back to 2010 when phenom 2 was still their high end, click below-

http://www.techspot.com/news/41076-amd-unveils-2011-2012-roadmap-for-servers-desktops-laptops.html

We can see a clear desktop roadmap with 8 core CPUs from bulldozer to what was to become piledriver. Obviously plans changed along the way but at least their was an enthusiast desktop roadmap.

Nobody is saying AMD will quit making CPUs btw... We are simply speculating about the future of the AM3+ FX series of CPUs which was originally supposed to go bulldozer-piledriver-steamroller.

I guess the other possibility is that they are going the way of Intel 1155; I.e. they will make only APUs. Maybe they believe their APUs are improving fast enough to surpass their current top end CPUs. But moving down from 8 cores to 4 cores for their flagship would be a bit strange.

How many people that can afford 4 GPUs run AMD CPUs in their system instead of an i7 extreme? (or 3930K)

I personally have a beef with intel after a very bad batch of 2600k chips, ordered 10 of them for client builds and 2 arrived DOA, and 1 died within a week. Also I run 4 7970 with an FX chip because at higher resolutions your not CPU bottleneck , your graphics bottlenecked, in a large eyefinity setup the difference between an FX series CPU and a Extreme edition 3970X is about 10-15 frames, Given that I dont really do video editing and im primarily an application programmer, I dont need the best CPU. The only time that you run into a CPU bottleneck is in much lower resolutions 1440P and lower with a single monitor. i would rather pocket the $100-$800 dollar difference and still get a similar result. 

http://media.bestofmicro.com/W/U/369246/original/BF3UltraCPUBottleneck2013.png

Plus with all my GPUs, I can have 2 mining bitcoins, and two for playing games with great settings. I can set parts of my system to a specific task, which is why I run the setup that I have and why I did the insane of 4GPUs on a 990FX platform. I didnt need to set the world on fire with a benchmark, however I did need some seriously heavy graphics muscle, hashcat, bitmining and  folding all depend on the CPU, if my ancient AMD sempron system that i outfitted with two 6990 recently can perform fine for a lot of the work I do outside of gaming, then what do I have use for an Extreme Edition processor other that saying I have one?

I personally have a beef with intel after a very bad batch of 2600k chips, ordered 10 of them for client builds and 2 arrived DOA, and 1 died within a week. Also I run 4 7970 with an FX chip because at higher resolutions your not CPU bottleneck , your graphics bottlenecked, in a large eyefinity setup the difference between an FX series CPU and a Extreme edition 3970X is about 10-15 frames, Given that I dont really do video editing and im primarily an application programmer, I dont need the best CPU. The only time that you run into a CPU bottleneck is in much lower resolutions 1440P and lower with a single monitor. i would rather pocket the $100-$800 dollar difference and still get a similar result.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/W/U/369246/original/BF3UltraCPUBottleneck2013.png

Plus with all my GPUs, I can have 2 mining bitcoins, and two for playing games with great settings. I can set parts of my system to a specific task, which is why I run the setup that I have and why I did the insane of 4GPUs on a 990FX platform. I didnt need to set the world on fire with a benchmark, however I did need some seriously heavy graphics muscle, hashcat, bitmining and folding all depend on the CPU, if my ancient AMD sempron system that i outfitted with two 6990 recently can perform fine for a lot of the work I do outside of gaming, then what do I have use for an Extreme Edition processor other that saying I have one?

I am not arguing with you just saying that people who go for 3+ GPUs do it mostly for overkill. And when they do, the highest overkill is an i7 extreme. I think among people who go for such hardware the overkillers are much more than the people who will actually use the stuff, like you do. And they don't mind the cash.

Spoiler

Hopefully we'll get a Crosshair Hero? That'd be totally awesome :D

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

AMD doesn't have a true 8 core CPU. Sorry to hurt your feelings. 5GHz won't happen unless you are really lucky, and if I might ask, since you want 5GHz OC on a faildozer CPU architecture. Do you have a personal nuclear powerplant at your disposal?

And why support a company that doesn't deliver good products? I never understood that. If AMD had better products than Nvidia or Intel then sure, but the truth is that they don't.

I smell fanboyism...

EDIT: I've made a boo-boo

That roadmap doesn't give much hope for a high end successor to fx-8350 now does it? According to that there is not even an 8 core steamroller server part.

I don't buy the argument that the lack of info is because AMD never had clear roadmaps; it's necessary for PR and shareholders. If we rewind the clock back to 2010 when phenom 2 was still their high end, click below-

http://www.techspot.com/news/41076-amd-unveils-2011-2012-roadmap-for-servers-desktops-laptops.html

We can see a clear desktop roadmap with 8 core CPUs from bulldozer to what was to become piledriver. Obviously plans changed along the way but at least their was an enthusiast desktop roadmap.

According to this there was supposed to be a "Komodo" chip with 8 "next generation Bulldozer" cores AND integrated DX11 compatible graphics....

He didn't ask how to destroy his life too, just the pc.

Come again? I din't quite get it.

Spoiler

AMD doesn't have a true 8 core CPU. Sorry to hurt your feelings. 5GHz won't happen unless you are really lucky, and if I might ask, since you want 5GHz OC on a faildozer CPU architecture. Do you have a personal nuclear powerplant at your disposal?

Well I must be lucky and have a personal nuclear power plant...  :P

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

Why aren't you going with Intel if I may ask? They are the superior choice in most cases.

Anyways, I doubt AMD will be releasing Steamroller in it's current state. If they are releasing it I would expect it this year cause honestly it would be the most dumb idea in this entire universe to release a terrible CPU based on the faildozer architecture to compete with Intel's 14nm Broadwell.

This made me cringe. 

Fractal R4 / intel i7 4770k / Gigabyte Z87X-OC / Noctua NH-C14 / Corsair AX850 PSU / Sapphire 7950 OC 3GB / 4x4GB Corsair dominatior platinum / 3TB and 2TB seagate barracuda HHD / 2x Samsung Evo 250GB

Come again? I din't quite get it.

Oh man I misquoted, damn! :/

I meant to quote the guy who sed to download Call of Duty in order to destroy the PC. My bad I didn't read, that I was acually quoting you, sry. (The problems of tabbed browsing xD ) If someone could delete my post that would be dandy.