High end 1080p monitor vs cheap 1440p

XCalinX

Hey guys,

I/m looking to get an acual monitor because my 32" tv makes my eyes burn when I use it as a monitor. I'm undecided between a high end 1080p 144hz monitor vs a lower end 1440p 60hz one for a single 980. I've been looking at the ASUS VG248QE (1080) and the Acer G277HU (1440p) so something around their price will do.

What would you buy? Thanks.

IMO 1440p

60hz is enough for me, and i like higher resolutions more than framerate

you can get some decent 1440p monitors for less than $300

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

BF4 mostly

then i would suggest the asus 144hz  because 144hz does make a difference especially in fps games. and though not so sure on numbers i think you would have to turn details down on 1440p with a single 980 though correct me if im wrong.

then i would suggest the asus 144hz  because 144hz does make a difference especially in fps games. and though not so sure on numbers i think you would have to turn details down on 1440p with a single 980 though correct me if im wrong.

Not if its only 60 Hz. If he gets the 1440p he should be fine.

I chose to go with the 144 hz option since it went really nice with my specific build and I don't mind lower resolutions. If you get another 980 though then getting at least a 1440p would be a no brainer.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

I chose to go with the 144 hz option since it went really nice with my specific build and I don't mind lower resolutions. If you get another 980 though then getting at least a 1440p would be a no brainer.

The Hz wont affect fps.. 

Not to derail thread but what about two 970s?

The Hz wont affect fps.. 

What I am saying is that if the 1440p monitor was 60 Hz he wouldn't have to turn down the settings to be able to get the most out of the monitor. If the 1440p monitor was 144 Hz he might have trouble hitting that 144 fps mark to use that specific monitor effectively.

Not to derail thread but what about two 970s?

2x 970 would do perfectly fine at 1440p. It's even "ok" at 4k. By "ok" I mean 30-40 fps in games that are pretty hard to run like Crysis 3.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-970-sli-review,22.html

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

What I am saying is that if the 1440p monitor was 60 Hz he wouldn't have to turn down the settings to be able to get the most out of the monitor. If the 1440p monitor was 144 Hz he might have trouble hitting that 144 fps mark to use that specific monitor effectively.

2x 970 would do perfectly fine at 1440p. It's even "ok" at 4k. By "ok" I mean 30-40 fps in games that are pretty hard to run like Crysis 3.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-970-sli-review,22.html

Sorry to steal thread but I just watched 

and what Linus said at the end got me. Competetive FPS stuff= ROG Swift. Sight seeing 3rd person RPG stuff= Acer 4k monitor

I raid in WoW and like Dragon Age, the Witcher, GTA 5 soon, and other RPGs. With 2 970s would the 4k be ideal for me or continue to save for the swift?

@XCalinX- sorry to ask on your thread. maybe this info will help you too!

<3

@anthonyc813 No, I need the 980 because if I upgrade to SLI later it will be more powerful than the 970s, and some games have SLI scaling problems and I want the top of the line stuff tbh :P

Anyway, I think I will go with the 1440p solution because I doubt a single 980 will push 144fps in BF4 at ultra 1080p, but might be able to do 60fps at 1440p.

and what Linus said at the end got me. Competetive FPS stuff= ROG Swift. Sight seeing 3rd person RPG stuff= Acer 4k monitor

I raid in WoW and like Dragon Age, the Witcher, GTA 5 soon, and other RPGs. With 2 970s would the 4k be ideal for me or continue to save for the swift?

<3

WoW should be fine

I don't know much about Dragon Age so that's a toss up for me

Witcher seems like it will be hard to run at 4k

GTA V we will have to wait and see how it runs when it comes out (if it ever does)

IMHO i would wait for the Swift. Take advantage of that G sync and 144 Hz. Also the higher framerates vs 4k.

<3

I have that monitor. its epic for gaming!! 60hz is enough for me, even when playing Cs:go

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Honestly, if you have then money to spend, I would recommend buying a 4k monitor at 60hz.  However, if you don't mind about resolution, I would recommend buying a monitor with at 120-144hz.  If you search, you may even be able to find a 1440p monitor that is 120hz at a similar price to the 1080p monitor that you want.  Either way, I would choose 144hz over higher resolution, but if you can find one that has both the resolution and refresh rate (I don't think that's the correct term, but whatever) I would go with that.