Which Seasonic?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

What do you guys think of this one?

http://www.dabs.ie/products/evga-750w-supernova-gold-psu-9BJM.html?refs=418520000&src=3

750w so has a bit of headroom, Fully Modular, EVGA with 10 Year Warranty, 80PlusGold, has the Hybrid Fan the Seasonic has on the XSeries and Platinum but not on that G-Series Seasonic, so doesn't spin fan when the system is idling, and its the same price as the Semi-Modular G Series Seasonic. Looks like a winner :)

I would say buy it. You won't get anything better in it's price range. The Super Flower Leadex would be the only other alternative, but they are usually a few pounds/euros more, and you get less warranty.

Just make sure you have room in your case as the G2 is 180mm long.

Hey there Guys,

I'm trying to decide on a Seasonic Power Supply for my new PC Build. The power usage is about 600w total and I'm going for an AMD Radeon R9 290 for the graphics card.

These are the ones I'm looking at:

Seasonic P1000W Platinum

80Plus Platinum

Fully Modular

Fantastic Reviews From Pretty Much Everywhere

7 Year Warranty

Overkill For This Build But Has Room To Expand Later On For Things Like Additional Graphics Cards

-€215

Seasonic Platinum 760W

80Plus Platinum

Fully Modular

Also Gets Awesome Reviews From Pretty Much Everywhere

7 Year Warranty

Better Matches The Total Wattage Amount I Need But Won't Be Enough For A Second Graphics Card Later On

-€195

Seasonic SS-750RM 750W 80+ Gold Hybrid Modular

80Plus Gold

Semi - Modular

Very Good Reviews From Most Websites, Not Quite As Good as The Platinum, But Close

5 Year Warranty

Same Cons as Platinum, Semi Modular Won't Be As Useful For Cable Management, But Way Cheaper

-€125 

I've pretty much decided on Seasonic for the PSU as they have received great reviews on nearly all of their power supplies on HardOCP and Jonnyguru.

I want something that's gonna last for the long term that I'm not going to have to replace for a few years. The PC will be used for gaming and video rendering, so it'll be used at that wattage amount for most of the usage time, so I don't mind spending a bit extra if it means getting a good PSU.

The G-Series is a lot cheaper but is the extra money worth going for the Platinum for things like better efficiency and easier cable management? In the case of the 1000w will my system be horribly inefficient using about 600w of power out of the 1000w it can provide vs going with something rated a bit closer like 750w? 

Any wisdom appreciated! Thanks

-Mark

Links:

http://www.komplett.ie/product/zkb-01com/80015724/seasonic-g-series-g-750-750-watt/details.aspx

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1000w-seasonic-ss-1000xp-platinum-full-modular-80plus-platinum-dc-dc-120mm-sanace-silent-fan-atx-psu

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/760w-seasonic-platinum-full-modular-80-plus-platinum-atx-psu

• CPU: AMD FX-9590 | MB: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  | GPU: Asus Radeon R9 290 OC DirectCU II | CASE:NZXT H440 White W/Window | COOLER: NZXT Kraken X41 | RAM: 16GB AMD Performance Series | STORAGE: AMD OCZ R7 Radeon SSD 240GBPSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 850w White

EVGA is using Seasonic as their OEM for the GS series PSU's, so you'll have a 10-year warranty with them as opposed to Seasonic's 7-year warranty. So that's something to look at, IMO.

Other than that, you won't go wrong with any of those PSU's. I'd go for the SS-750RM if it were up to me, personally.

Why not the Cooler Master V850 or XFX Pro series Black Edition or a Super Flower Leadex Gold series

Steve

EVGA is using Seasonic as their OEM for the GS series PSU's, so you'll have a 10-year warranty with them as opposed to Seasonic's 7-year warranty. So that's something to look at, IMO.

Other than that, you won't go wrong with any of those PSU's. I'd go for the SS-750RM if it were up to me, personally.

Cool I never knew the EVGA's came with a 10 Year that's pretty good, I'll check them out.

For the SS-750RM what made you pick that one? It looks pretty good, I'm planning on a NZXT H440 so any cable clutter will be hidden by the separated chamber anyways

• CPU: AMD FX-9590 | MB: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  | GPU: Asus Radeon R9 290 OC DirectCU II | CASE:NZXT H440 White W/Window | COOLER: NZXT Kraken X41 | RAM: 16GB AMD Performance Series | STORAGE: AMD OCZ R7 Radeon SSD 240GBPSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 850w White

Why not the Cooler Master V850 or XFX Pro series Black Edition or a Super Flower Leadex Gold series

So far I've only really researched the Corsair and Seasonic PSUs. After reading about the RM performing poorly in a lot of HardOCP tests, I looked at Seasonic and saw they were very good. So haven't really looked at any other brands as of yet. Basically looking for something that isn't gonna die on me like a year from now. You think those ones are as good/better than the Seasonics? Don't mind spending a bit more to get something that's really good and will last but if I can get something else that performs the same for cheaper I'll definitely take a look

Cool I never knew the EVGA's came with a 10 Year that's pretty good, I'll check them out.

For the SS-750RM what made you pick that one? It looks pretty good, I'm planning on a NZXT H440 so any cable clutter will be hidden by the separated chamber anyways

It's a lower wattage compared to the 1000watt one, and you don't need that many watts for your hardware configuration.

And I would pick the 750RM because of the price compared to the 760 Platinum one. Gold gives you enough efficiency - the Platinum one isn't worth the extra premium unless you're building for an office space and need to keep power bills down (or something).

EDIT: Also, when it says semi-modular, it means the motherboard cables are not modular, so the cables you'll be routing anyways aren't removable.

Depends. 750 is a bit of a waste, since it's more then you'll need for a single 290/X but not enough to comfortably run two.

Get a 650 for single GPU, 1000 if you want to CrossFire later on.

"Rawr XD"

So far I've only really researched the Corsair and Seasonic PSUs. After reading about the RM performing poorly in a lot of HardOCP tests, I looked at Seasonic and saw they were very good. So haven't really looked at any other brands as of yet. Basically looking for something that isn't gonna die on me like a year from now. You think those ones are as good/better than the Seasonics? Don't mind spending a bit more to get something that's really good and will last but if I can get something else that performs the same for cheaper I'll definitely take a look

Any of these will be great

Antec

High Current Pro - 1200 watts

High Current Platinum series

Be Quiet Dark power pro P10 (850w and above)

Corsair

AX MK1 / AX MK2/ AXi series (MK1 AX series is also an excellent choice)

AX1500i (MK3 AX platform, Titanium efficiency)

Cooler Master V series / V series 1200w

EVGA

Supernova G2

Supernova P2

Firepower Silencer MK3 1200w

FSP Aurum PT 1200w

Kingwin

Absolute Platinum 550w

Lazer platinum series

LEPA G1600

Seasonic

M12 II 650 / 750 / 850w (Includes EVO series)

Platinum series (Fanless or not)

X series

Silverstone Nightjar 520w Platinum

Super Flower

Golden King series

Golden Silent series 430w

Leadex Gold series

Leadex Platinum series

XFX

Pro series Black Edition

Pro series Black Edition Limited 1000w

Pro series XXX / Semi-modular

XTS Fanless 460w

Steve

It's a lower wattage compared to the 1000watt one, and you don't need that many watts for your hardware configuration.

And I would pick the 750RM because of the price compared to the 760 Platinum one. Gold gives you enough efficiency - the Platinum one isn't worth the extra premium unless you're building for an office space and need to keep power bills down (or something).

EDIT: Also, when it says semi-modular, it means the motherboard cables are not modular, so the cables you'll be routing anyways aren't removable.

Depends. 750 is a bit of a waste, since it's more then you'll need for a single 290/X but not enough to comfortably run two.

Get a 650 for single GPU, 1000 if you want to CrossFire later on.

There is also a 650W G-Series available for €119, so it's like €10 cheaper so not really any difference in the price. Seeing as the estimated power usage of my system on PCpartpicker is like 609w, is a 650w enough to comfortably run everything, even when processors/graphics cards turbo boost? or the 750w better to have some headroom?  - As for the 1000w I don't intend on getting another GPU for quite a while (probably in like a year or two), so at least for the moment I wouldn't need the extra wattage, it's purely a futureproofing thing.. not sure if it is fully worth spending essentially double what the G-Series is, but it would be cheaper than replacing the entire PSU whenever I do get that second GPU. Did either you guys upgrade to dual GPUs anytime after doing your system build?

Any of these will be great

Antec

High Current Pro - 1200 watts

High Current Platinum series

Be Quiet Dark power pro P10 (850w and above)

Corsair

AX MK1 / AX MK2/ AXi series (MK1 AX series is also an excellent choice)

AX1500i (MK3 AX platform, Titanium efficiency)

Cooler Master V series / V series 1200w

EVGA

Supernova G2

Supernova P2

Firepower Silencer MK3 1200w

FSP Aurum PT 1200w

Kingwin

Absolute Platinum 550w

Lazer platinum series

LEPA G1600

Seasonic

M12 II 650 / 750 / 850w (Includes EVO series)

Platinum series (Fanless or not)

X series

Silverstone Nightjar 520w Platinum

Super Flower

Golden King series

Golden Silent series 430w

Leadex Gold series

Leadex Platinum series

XFX

Pro series Black Edition

Pro series Black Edition Limited 1000w

Pro series XXX / Semi-modular

XTS Fanless 460w

That's a really comprehensive list, awesome! :) I'm looking for something in the 750w range, you have any particular experiences or feelings towards any particular brand or models? This will be the first PSU I'll have bought myself (that wasn't chosen by Dell or some other Big Box Vendor when buying my PC) so any helpful tips are appreciated!

There is also a 650W G-Series available for €119, so it's like €10 cheaper so not really any difference in the price. Seeing as the estimated power usage of my system on PCpartpicker is like 609w, is a 650w enough to comfortably run everything, even when processors/graphics cards turbo boost? or the 750w better to have some headroom?  - As for the 1000w I don't intend on getting another GPU for quite a while (probably in like a year or two), so at least for the moment I wouldn't need the extra wattage, it's purely a futureproofing thing.. not sure if it is fully worth spending essentially double what the G-Series is, but it would be cheaper than replacing the entire PSU whenever I do get that second GPU. Did either you guys upgrade to dual GPUs anytime after doing your system build?

Me personally, I would probably buy something 50-100watts more than what I actually need so I have some headroom.

But if you're planning on getting another GPU for sure, you should take into account the PSU you're buying now since good PSU's will last a super long time, keeping in mind that you need a little extra headroom. Plus you won't have to worry about having random hardware laying around or trying to sell it and ultimately losing money.

I had two GPU's from the start, so I purchased a 750 watt PSU from EVGA since it left me some headroom with my 2500k and 770's.

That's a really comprehensive list, awesome! :) I'm looking for something in the 750w range, you have any particular experiences or feelings towards any particular brand or models? This will be the first PSU I'll have bought myself (that wasn't chosen by Dell or some other Big Box Vendor when buying my PC) so any helpful tips are appreciated!

I like Silverstone and Cooler Master and Seasonic. Had a Corsair power supply and it was alright.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html- sauce

Steve

Me personally, I would probably buy something 50-100watts more than what I actually need so I have some headroom.

But if you're planning on getting another GPU for sure, you should take into account the PSU you're buying now since good PSU's will last a super long time, keeping in mind that you need a little extra headroom. Plus you won't have to worry about having random hardware laying around or trying to sell it and ultimately losing money.

I had two GPU's from the start, so I purchased a 750 watt PSU from EVGA since it left me some headroom with my 2500k and 770's.

I like Silverstone and Cooler Master and Seasonic. Had a Corsair power supply and it was alright.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html- sauce

Hmm very interesting..

Thanks @Laputacake for the list, I'll have a look at some of the Tier Ones and see if there are some that are cheaper than the Seasonics. BTW are Seasonic OEM but different branded PSUs any good? Like the HX Corsairs are Seasonic made but are they as good as just buying Seasonic? or is the difference pretty much just the name?

@Kloaked cool I agree with you, how long would you normally get out of a power supply, like a good, reputable branded one? Would you need to replace it after a couple of years or is it the sort of thing that if it's good from the start they tend to last? If that's the case I think spending more and getting a 1000w for graphics card expansion is a good idea, kinda suck to have to buy a €200 PSU along with a new GPU just to get some better graphics down the line

650W will be just perfect for your setup. However keep in mind that if a 1000W PSU costs a certain price today, two years later the price won't be much different, so if you want to do dual-GPU later on then just go for the higher wattage one now.

On my first rig with a 750W PSU and CF-compatible motherboard, I had a single HD 6870 for a few years then added another 6870 later on and loved it. However switched to mATX and 550W PSU now, so no dual GPU for me.

"Rawr XD"

Hmm very interesting..

Thanks @Laputacake for the list, I'll have a look at some of the Tier Ones and see if there are some that are cheaper than the Seasonics. BTW are Seasonic OEM but different branded PSUs any good? Like the HX Corsairs are Seasonic made but are they as good as just buying Seasonic? or is the difference pretty much just the name?

Some power supplies use Seasonic boards but then the soldering isnt always up to scratch and may not using solid Japanese capacitor. Have a look at a johnny guru review if you're wondering about it.

Steve

Only some (older) HX are made by Seasonic, all the newer ones are CWT

"Rawr XD"

650W will be just perfect for your setup. However keep in mind that if a 1000W PSU costs a certain price today, two years later the price won't be much different, so if you want to do dual-GPU later on then just go for the higher wattage one now.

On my first rig with a 750W PSU and CF-compatible motherboard, I had a single HD 6870 for a few years then added another 6870 later on and loved it. However switched to mATX and 550W PSU now, so no dual GPU for me.

Well I'm planning on getting an R9 290 and I'll be gaming at 1080p for pretty much the next while until the 4k Scaling Issues get all sorted out, and the prices takes a much needed nosedive. So the graphics are definitely going to be good for the moment (even a bit overkill for 1080p). Thing is I suppose when it comes to upgrading the graphics card (in that one or two year timeframe) it might just be a better idea to replace the GPU than add another, so that's another route I could go (wouldn't need the extra PSU power then). What you think?

Only the Super Flower (EVGA) units have the 10 year warranty. The Seasonic (EVGA) ones have 7 years. It was originally 5 years, but they upped it to 7.

Well I'm planning on getting an R9 290 and I'll be gaming at 1080p for pretty much the next while until the 4k Scaling Issues get all sorted out, and the prices takes a much needed nosedive. So the graphics are definitely going to be good for the moment (even a bit overkill for 1080p). Thing is I suppose when it comes to upgrading the graphics card (in that one or two year timeframe) it might just be a better idea to replace the GPU than add another, so that's another route I could go (wouldn't need the extra PSU power then). What you think?

If you're planning on replacing the entire card rather then adding another then yeah 650W is perfectly fine. Over the next few years GPU manufacturers are going to focus a lot on power consumption.

"Rawr XD"

Only the Super Flower (EVGA) units have the 10 year warranty. The Seasonic (EVGA) ones have 7 years. It was originally 5 years, but they upped it to 7.

Oh ye, you're right. My bad.

@markhannelly

Oh ye, you're right. My bad.

@markhannelly

If you're planning on replacing the entire card rather then adding another then yeah 650W is perfectly fine. Over the next few years GPU manufacturers are going to focus a lot on power consumption.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/evga-750w-supernova-gold-psu-9BJM.html?refs=418520000&src=3

750w so has a bit of headroom, Fully Modular, EVGA with 10 Year Warranty, 80PlusGold, has the Hybrid Fan the Seasonic has on the XSeries and Platinum but not on that G-Series Seasonic, so doesn't spin fan when the system is idling, and its the same price as the Semi-Modular G Series Seasonic. Looks like a winner :)

That's a very good power supply. It's Super Flower Leadex platform, which actually outperforms Seasonic G-series.

"Rawr XD"

I would say buy it. You won't get anything better in it's price range. The Super Flower Leadex would be the only other alternative, but they are usually a few pounds/euros more, and you get less warranty.

That's a very good power supply. It's Super Flower Leadex platform, which actually outperforms Seasonic G-series.

Okay Sweet, I threw it into PCpartpicker, it seems to be happy with the NZXT H440 I'm getting so I think I have a PSU finally chosen! Thanks for all your help guys! :)

Okay Sweet, I threw it into PCpartpicker, it seems to be happy with the NZXT H440 I'm getting so I think I have a PSU finally chosen! Thanks for all your help guys! :)

Yeah it will fit fine in a H440. You can also get custom braided cables for it from Overclockers if you like that sort of thing.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?catid=123&groupid=701&subid=2805

The E-Series all work with the EVGA G2.