split screen gaming

GeneralBear

i got a htpc in my living room and no colceol wondering what games suprot split screen even if it requires a mod right now i got grid 2 and dirt 3 working

Main Rig: CPU: 3570k Mobo: ga-z77x-ud5h-wb :RAM: 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 :gpu crossfire amd 290's Case: zalman z9 plus Cooler: h80i p/p SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb wd green 4tb seagate desktop                                              

Girlfirends: CPU: 8350 Mobo 990fxa-ud3 Ram 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 gpu: his 7850 case: inwin dragon rider SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb seagate                                                                                                                                         

Split screen as in two players?

I tried it with Dirt3 and window mode and two monitors set to same resolution and re-sizing windows manually.  Two players in side to side mode, and two steering wheels :)

My Rigs (past and present)

yes 2 playerr like 1 screen

Main Rig: CPU: 3570k Mobo: ga-z77x-ud5h-wb :RAM: 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 :gpu crossfire amd 290's Case: zalman z9 plus Cooler: h80i p/p SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb wd green 4tb seagate desktop                                              

Girlfirends: CPU: 8350 Mobo 990fxa-ud3 Ram 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 gpu: his 7850 case: inwin dragon rider SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb seagate                                                                                                                                         

This thread on anandtech by Nvidiaguy07 has a nice little list of games.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2306583

Long story short, my friends and I play a lot of video games together (on the same screen). Games we play are pretty much anything competitive, but unless you can do 4 player split screen - then we usually wont play them (which is a big reason i keep my 360 around).

I've been going through my steam library and trying to pick out which games can be played with two to four players on the same screen. 

Here is my list that i can think of now, but i will update regularly with any titles that are suggested. (all are 4 player unless noted)

4 player games: (ive played them and theyre all good)
Blur
Fifa 13
NBA 2k13
mlb 2k12
Sonic & All-stars racing transformed (havent tried the other ones, just bought this one seems really fun)
Virtua Tennis 4
Serious Sam 3
Jamestown
Castle Crashers

Untested: (some of these i got from co-optimus, some i see in steam, but havent tried yet)
Worms crazy golf?
Serious Sam
A virus named tom
All zombies must die
Disney Universe (only on origin?)
Dungeon Defenders
insanely twisted shadow planet
magicka
nation red
Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine (out on steam in april)
protogalaxy
rayman origins
Retrobooster (steam greenlight)
shadowgrounds + shadowgrounds: survivor
TF2 arcade
Trackmania 2 (maybe other too)
awesomenauts (i think up to 3)

notable 2 Player games (some untested):
Dirt 3 - tested
Dirt Showdown 
split/second (not on steam, maybe 4 player)
Audiosurf
Beat Hazard
Bionic Commando rearmed
Capsized
Colour Bind
dead pixels
Atom Zombie Smasher
Deathspank 
Dogfight 1942
Dungeon Siege 3 
Dungeonland (3 players)
Dynasty Warriors 6
frozen synapse
flock
gatling gears
LEGO games 
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Portal 2 (now easier with big picture mode)
pid
Painkiller: Hell and Damnation
overlord 2
renegade ops
R.A.W. Realms of Ancient War
Retrovirus 
Rocketbirds
RIP trilogy
Scarygirl 
Shank/Shank2
shatter
sideway new york
sonic 4 (it only lists episode 2)
space ark
trine/trine 2
Adventures of Shuggy

unstable/not sure:
Left 4 dead 1 and 2 (2 players, seems easy enough)
civ 5 (up to 6 players? I read somewhere that this has up to 6 player local coop - i have a hard time believing it)

All this being said - i really hope steam and PC gaming start incorporating this in more games. If steam wants to be in the living room, there has to be more focus on local multi-player gaming. It would be nice if you could search steam games that have this feature. (Also if they fixed their categories - half of those games dont list local coop or controller support when they actually do have it) It is nice to see that many of these games are newer - so im hoping thats the direction PC gaming is headed. I think once we see titles like COD and more sports games on PC, then well be on par with consoles. (I would kill for blops 2 to have this, and to see a game like NHL on PC).

If you have any suggestions to the list, post here and ill add them. Im going to be testing the games I havent played yet and will update as i go.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

i orgot about magica and trine2 got them more recently i knew about l4d havent figgerd it out though and portal 2 havent got split screen working yet