gtx 970 + i5 4690k or skylake

Go to solution Solved by Bonesy,

In the end, i think it all depends on your patience and your budget, here are your "options":

Option 1: I'm impatient - Grab yourself the 4690k and a 970 or a 290x - you will be fine until the 2nd gen skylake's come out, along with whatever GPU is available at that time

Option 2: I'm sort-of impatient - Grab the 4690k and wait on the GPU - You might not need one right away since your 270x will no longer be bottlenecked. Also, the 300 series from AMD is rumored to be coming soon

Option 3: I'm patient - Grab yourself a cold one, and sit and wait for skylake/300 series - keep in mind,noone knows exactly when these will be released - and the first skylake processors will be your lower-end configs as Intel works on their yields.

As I stated before, I think "option 1" will bring you the most satisfaction, and should keep you happy until the "enthusiast" skylake processors come out(the K series, x99, etc) in a couple years. So decide what your budget is, decide how much your current situation bothers you, and go from there.

hello guys..I'm planning to upgrade my pc which i bought last year...i was planning o get gts 970 strix and i5 4690k but then i heard about intel's skylake processor which is coming in august this year with new architecture and now i'm confused..what should i do.....should i wait for skylake or  should i get an i5 4690k...

My current specs are:-

Sapphire R9 270x 2gb

AMD FX-4300(@ 4.4 ghz)

MSI 970a G43 mb
G SKILL 8gb ram

2 TB WD Green
1 TB seagate SSHD
120 GB samsung 850 EVO SSD..

AND sorry for my english if something is wrong.. :'( it's not my 1st lang.

hello guys..I'm planning to upgrade my pc which i bought last year...i was planning o get gts 970 strix and i5 4690k but then i heard about intel's skylake processor which is coming in august this year with new architecture and now i'm confused..what should i do.....should i wait for skylake or  should i get an i5 4690k...

Sapphire R9 270x 2gb

AMD FX-4300(@ 4.4 ghz)

MSI 970a G43 mb

G SKILL 8gb ram

2 TB WD Green

1 TB seagate SSHD

Welcome to the forums! I'd get the GTX 970 for now and wait for a new CPU lineup to come from Intel.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

currently i would upgrade the cpu and mobo and thats it, then wait for the new amd cards which are rumored to come in 2nd or 3rd quarter

the 270x is still a very capable card, i would wait if i were you.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Personally, I'd get the 970 and 4690k. Even when skylake is released, I doubt we will see K-class CPU's and their higher end offerings until they iron out their productivity yields(like usual). Meaning, your next probable CPU upgrade will be closer to 2017 or so.Keep in mind, this is my PERSONAL opinion...i dont know your budget, desires, uses, etc.

if i get 970 will FX 4300 bottleneck it?? and if i get i5 4690k can i use this combo for 3-4 years for gaming??

Sapphire R9 270x 2gb

AMD FX-4300(@ 4.4 ghz)

MSI 970a G43 mb

G SKILL 8gb ram

2 TB WD Green

1 TB seagate SSHD

I would say wait on both. I think your current system seems well balanced, and should handle most games at 1080p no problem.

What games or things are you trying to do, that requires an upgrade now?

Ryzen 9 5900x | x570 TUF Gaming Pro Wifi | 32gb GSkill 4x8gb @3000mhz CL15 | ASUS Strix RX480 8gb | XFX 750W psu | Cosair H100i GTX | Fractal Design R5

Drop ENTR Halo True | Logitech G900 Choas Spectrum | Blue-Yeti | AKG k553 Pro

unlocked skylake cpu´s are planned for Q2 2016, so thats a long way ahead on us.

I would personaly say just upgrade now realy.

Waiting for skylake does not make any sense, because the 4690K has totaly not any single problem with maxing out a GTX970.

So waiting for skylake in my opinnion is pointless. :)

while playing Far Cry 4 it's lagging and stuttering a little and you know unity and far cry 4 needs high req. so that's why otherwise didn't had any problem with cod advance warfare..
so should i wait for skylake and then get gtx 970 and skylake processor??

while playing Far Cry 4 it's lagging and stuttering a little and you know unity and far cry 4 needs high req. so that's why otherwise didn't had any problem with cod advance warfare..

so should i wait for skylake and then get gtx 970 and skylake processor??

You mean lagging with your current FX4300?

Or with a 4690K?

Also did you check vram gate 3.5GB vram? :D

Asfar as the FX4300 is concerned you have 2 enabled modules with each 2 cores sharing cache and fpu.

And thats exaly where the problem of your cpu lays.

If the game uses all 4 threads of your FX4300, then the FPU will get cut in half, from 256 bit to 128bit for each core. And thats basicly an issue.

intell i5´s dont have this particular problem. Because intel uses a totaly diffrent architecture.

with fx 4300(i don't have i5 4690k now)

just go with the 4690K realy.

you FX4300 bottlenecks your GPU anyway.

So you will see improvements in every game that is cpu demending.

Idk about the stutters in FC4 but if they also exsists on a 4690k.

Then it basicly means that you probably hitting >3.5GB vram mark.

And then you can only blame the GPU.

But either way, upgrading to a 4690K will be totaly worth it.

Because cpu bound games, you will realy gonne see a jump in performance.

right now i'm using r9 270x with fx 4300.

if i get i5 4690k and gtx 970 can i use this spec for another 3-4 years?

'cause i bought my current spec. last year in feb. and i'm from India and these are really expensive here
and i don't want to regret not having skylake : "(

right now i'm using r9 270x with fx 4300.

if i get i5 4690k and gtx 970 can i use this spec for another 3-4 years?

'cause i bought my current spec. last year in feb. and i'm from India and these are really expensive here

and i don't want to regret not having skylake : "(

Skylake is most likely not going to be a big performance jump in ipc and per core performance over a 4690k

Or atleast im not going to expect that at all.

The only thing you do might concider, is a Sapphire 290X vapor X over a GTX970.

BEcause of GTX970´s vram limmitation of 3.5GB on 224bit bus.

Also not to mention, that AMD is probably going to release some new R9-300 series cards soon, which might be interessting to wait for

But in terms of your cpu, just grab the i5-4690k.

I dont see any vallid point for waiting for skylake, like i said the current haswell i5´s dont have any issues maxing out any highend single gpu on the market right now. So if you wait for skylake, that would be a bit pointless.

Because skylake wont push more power out of your gpu anyways, if haswell is allready maxing it out.

No it wont. 970 is still a great card so if you wanted to get a big performance boost straight away, go for it (alternatively consider r9 290x)

In the end, i think it all depends on your patience and your budget, here are your "options":

Option 1: I'm impatient - Grab yourself the 4690k and a 970 or a 290x - you will be fine until the 2nd gen skylake's come out, along with whatever GPU is available at that time

Option 2: I'm sort-of impatient - Grab the 4690k and wait on the GPU - You might not need one right away since your 270x will no longer be bottlenecked. Also, the 300 series from AMD is rumored to be coming soon

Option 3: I'm patient - Grab yourself a cold one, and sit and wait for skylake/300 series - keep in mind,noone knows exactly when these will be released - and the first skylake processors will be your lower-end configs as Intel works on their yields.

As I stated before, I think "option 1" will bring you the most satisfaction, and should keep you happy until the "enthusiast" skylake processors come out(the K series, x99, etc) in a couple years. So decide what your budget is, decide how much your current situation bothers you, and go from there.

so 270x will not bottleneck i5 4690k?

270X is basicly a card that does not realy cut it anymore now days.

Offcourse a GPU it self will not bottleneck any cpu.

THe problem with a weaker card like the 270X = 7870GHz, is that you are basicly getting GPU limmited.

Games realy starting to become graphical intensive, they simply need more GPU horse power, and more Vram.

I have a 270X myself, and in games like AC unity for example, this GPU simply does not cut it.

Even 1080p low settings, i can barely hit 22fps.

If you want some great gaming experiance like i said before concider a 290X with 4GB of real vram lol :P

And a 4690K

Or simply wait for the new R9-300 series cards from AMD, and look what they are up to.

THe 380X will most likely be some sort of 290X rebrand, so it might be interessting to look where the prices of 290X cards are going after launch from the 380X.

The 390 and 390X will be new GPU´s.

Or you could concider a GTX970

But in my honnest opinnion, What Nvidia did lying about the specs of the GTX970 is realy a bad thing.

You pay for a 4GB vram card, that craps out if you pass 3.5GB of vram, because they have putted 2 chunks of vram 3.5GB over a 224Bit bus and 512mb on a slow 32bit bus.

Nvidia also lied about the L2 cache, and the amount of rops.

I´n my opinnion this just Stinks

@Sintezza you made 4 comments about the 970's problems in 1 thread.. let it go already.

@Darkshadow007 my observations show that CPUs hold their ground for many years. Getting a 4690K/4790K now might get you great performance for like 5 years. As of the GPU, the 970/290x will both do great job for now judging by benchmarks. You should be able to max everything for quite some  time at 1080p with this configuration.

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

i think i'll go with option 2..

thank u very much mate for helping  :D

270X is basicly a card that does not realy cut it anymore now days.

Offcourse a GPU it self will not bottleneck any cpu.

THe problem with a weaker card like the 270X = 7870GHz, is that you are basicly getting GPU limmited.

Games realy starting to become graphical intensive, they simply need more GPU horse power, and more Vram.

I have a 270X myself, and in games like AC unity for example, this GPU simply does not cut it.

Even 1080p low settings, i can barely hit 22fps.

If you want some great gaming experiance like i said before concider a 290X with 4GB of real vram lol :P

And a 4690K

Or simply wait for the new R9-300 series cards from AMD, and look what they are up to.

THe 380X will most likely be some sort of 290X rebrand, so it might be interessting to look where the prices of 290X cards are going after launch from the 380X.

The 390 and 390X will be new GPU´s.

Or you could concider a GTX970

But in my honnest opinnion, What Nvidia did lying about the specs of the GTX970 is realy a bad thing.

You pay for a 4GB vram card, that craps out if you pass 3.5GB of vram, because they have putted 2 chunks of vram 3.5GB over a 224Bit bus and 512mb on a slow 32bit bus.

Nvidia also lied about the L2 cache, and the amount of rops.

I´n my opinnion this just Stinks

Thank You very much @Sintezza

i'll go with i5 4690k and will wait for amd 300 series 

@Sintezza you made 4 comments about the 970's problems in 1 thread.. let it go already.

@Darkshadow007 my observations show that CPUs hold their ground for many years. Getting a 4690K/4790K now might get you great performance for like 5 years. As of the GPU, the 970/290x will both do great job for now judging by benchmarks. You should be able to max everything for quite some  time at 1080p with this configuration.

Thank You Very much sir

I have friend who's using AMD Phenom for the last 3-4 years and it still run games nicely

from what i know fx 4300 is not so good for gaming if 4690k will for next 4-5 years i'll very happy 'cause gpu is more imp. in gaming than cpu(i think so) :P

Thank You Very much sir

I have friend who's using AMD Phenom for the last 3-4 years and it still run games nicely

from what i know fx 4300 is not so good for gaming if 4690k will for next 4-5 years i'll very happy 'cause gpu is more imp. in gaming than cpu(i think so) :P

4690K will be plenty realy. :)