Are you religious and if so what religion?

LemonSpice

Same with atheism, it's essentially the opposite of the definition for religion

"the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods."

Yeah, they're both "non-religion" not a subset or different religion.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

This thread has been fun to read this far. Thanks guys!

Religion has play a large part on how civilization was molded and what people have set as their moral norms. Naturally you get the good and the bad, I find it fun to analyze the effects of religion and philosophy.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

If you see a built PC you don't think such a complicated system was created by accident, do you? Surely someone had to come up with all the technology, first for each individual part, then make sure they all interact with each other, then there's code/software that tells that whole system what to do. 

Now imagine how much are we, humans, more complicated than a computer? Surely someone had to come up with...  :) you get the idea. Seems logical to me.

There are a few very fundamental problems with this analogy.

Firstly, the PC cannot create a new PC or improve upon itself and so yes, if you came across one in isolation you would assume, correctly, that it was created by something else. By contrast, a human being can both improve upon itself and produce other humans and so the analogy breaks down.

This is crucial because in order for evolution to occur there must be improvements which can be passed on to offspring - with a PC there is no example of a smaller, less complicated version which could have possibly given rise to the PC in its entirety because computers cannot create newer, better computers (if they could we'd be into a whole other philosophical can of worms about sentient AI, which I'll leave for another time).

By contrast, we can easily see how a human being may have arisen from millions of years of evolution - a ribozyme can make more complex copies of itself until it begins to assemble a membrane. A ribozyme with a membrane has the makings of a cell. Once you have 1 cell, you can produce another one. Once you have many cells they can cooperate to form a more complex organism. Once you have multicellular life, some cells can differentiate to do different things within the same organism. Once you have complex life with multiple cell types, ever greater levels of complexity are unlocked until you end up with something as amazing as us. No God required.

I mean it's not to say he didn't engineer all of this in the beginning, in terms of creating matter and the universe for it to exist in, but to suggest that God is somehow required to produce life from that matter is to show an extraordinary level of ignorance frankly.

There are a few very fundamental problems with this analogy.

Firstly, the PC cannot create a new PC or improve upon itself and so yes, if you came across one in isolation you would assume, correctly, that it was created by something else. By contrast, a human being can both improve upon itself and produce other humans and so the analogy breaks down.

This is crucial because in order for evolution to occur there must be improvements which can be passed on to offspring - with a PC there is no example of a smaller, less complicated version which could have possibly given rise to the PC in its entirety because computers cannot create newer, better computers (if they could we'd be into a whole other philosophical can of worms about sentient AI, which I'll leave for another time).

By contrast, we can easily see how a human being may have arisen from millions of years of evolution - a ribozyme can make more complex copies of itself until it begins to assemble a membrane. A ribozyme with a membrane has the makings of a cell. Once you have 1 cell, you can produce another one. Once you have many cells they can cooperate to form a more complex organism. Once you have multicellular life, some cells can differentiate to do different things within the same organism. Once you have complex life with multiple cell types, ever greater levels of complexity are unlocked until you end up with something as amazing as us. No God required.

I mean it's not to say he didn't engineer all of this in the beginning, in terms of creating matter and the universe for it to exist in, but to suggest that God is somehow required to produce life from that matter is to show an extraordinary level of ignorance frankly.

To add to this, the size of the universe gave the original components of life incredibly many chances to come into existence. It's extremely unlikely that those components wouldn't have formed somewhere in the universe.

I'm a nihilist but since that's not an option I'll just choose atheist.

I got sent to prison after following Linus' instructions to #Makebombs

Forum's resident nihilist.

A JRPG just wouldn't be a JRPG if it didn't end with teenagers using the power of friendship to kill God.

-snip-

8423574961_21f71ba8f6_n.jpg

b1b2f817fcd4dc86c3249974d1dccba11c541548

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

To add to this, the size of the universe gave the original components of life incredibly many chances to come into exitence. It's extremely unlikely that those components wouldn't have formed somewhere in the universe.

Yeah, this explains how you go from 0 to something like a ribozyme. In fact multiple potential mechanisms have been proposed, demonstrating that in conditions similar to the early Earth there are actually many ways that life may have (and possibly did) originate. All of them are more compelling to me than intelligent design, but more to the point they eliminate the need for a God in explaining the origin of life.

Scary:P

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

If I say that morality is inherently subjective or that there is no direct meaning of life, am I a nihilist?

I know we have had this discussion before, but I have simply forgotten (sorry): In which areas do you describe yourself as a nihilist?

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

If I say that morality is inherently subjective or that there is no direct meaning of life, am I a nihilist?

Those beliefs reflect existential and moral nihilism.

A JRPG just wouldn't be a JRPG if it didn't end with teenagers using the power of friendship to kill God.

I know we have had this discussion before, but I have simply forgotten: In which areas do you describe yourself as a nihilist?

Existential.

I remember that exchange, it was enjoyable.

Existential.

I remember that exchange, it was enjoyable.

That's right, now I remember. That was a very good time.

Those beliefs reflect existential and moral nihilism.

So I'm both? How will I break the news to my mother?!

You: Mom. Dad. I'm a nihilist

Mom and dad: Hell no, God said Adam and Eve, not Adam and Nietzsche

Nietzsche's science was far too gay.

post-52613-0-50724400-1424895169.gif

attachicon.gifgay science.gif

What kind of Nihilist cares about homosexuality?:P

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

attachicon.gifgay science.gif

Ohh God (who by the way is late for His funeral), I didn't even think about that.

How can his science not be gay?

nietzsche.jpg

That mustache is fabulous.

I guess we are beginning to derail this topic, and I can't say if it's for the better.. 

What kind of Nihilist cares about homosexuality? :P

The kind who is terrible at making jokes

I'm an atheistically leaning agnostic. I haven't yet seen sufficient evidence to conclude that there is a god, but I am open to the idea.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Ohh God (who by the way is late for His funeral), I didn't even think about that.

How can his science not be gay?

That mustache is fabulous.

I guess we are beginning to derail this topic, and I can't say if it's for the better.. 

This has never been a place where these kinda discussions go well, so I think its an improvement.

This has never been a place where these kinda discussions go well, so I think its an improvement.

Then I say we should all dedicate this thread to appriciating Arthur Schopenhauer's hairdo

schopenh.jpg

Or we should use to discuss philosophy insted of religion.

Agnost- I meant Linus-ism.

No, but seriously, #Agnostic4Lyfe

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

Then I say we should all dedicate this thread to appriciating Arthur Schopenhauer's hairdo

Or we should use to discuss philosophy insted of religion.

philosophy-1.jpg

/Thread