Canadian spies collect domestic emails in secret security sweep

email-article-display-b.jpg

Oh Canada, 

In news that shouldn't really be surprising to anyone else, the CSE (NSA equivalent) collects emails and stores them en masse, for whatever reason they deem prudent. 

The reasons the do give is to collect as much data as possible to be better prepared against cybersecurity attacks against the nation, but I can imagine some people will still be pissed that their emails are being collected. 

Canada’s electronic surveillance agency is covertly monitoring vast amounts of Canadians’ emails as part of a sweeping domestic cybersecurity operation, according to top-secret documents.

The surveillance initiative, revealed Wednesday by CBC News in collaboration with The Intercept, is sifting through millions of emails sent to Canadian government agencies and departments, archiving details about them on a database for months or even years.

The data mining operation is carried out by the Communications Security Establishment, or CSE, Canada’s equivalent of the National Security Agency. Its existence is disclosed in documents obtained by The Intercept from NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden. The emails are vacuumed up by the Canadian agency as part of its mandate to defend against hacking attacks and malware targeting government computers. It relies on a system codenamed PONY EXPRESS to analyze the messages in a bid to detect potential cyber threats.

Last year, CSE acknowledged it collected some private communications as part of cybersecurity efforts. But it refused to divulge the number of communications being stored or to explain for how long any intercepted messages would be retained.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/02/25/canada-cse-pony-express-email-surveillance/

At least the Canadian government isn't run by corporate thugs who are using the government's authorities for corporate benefits.

I couldn't care less if they're collecting emails for the sake of not having bombs go off randomly around the place.

but I thought they were nice??

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

The Canadian A-NSA formerly Apologizes for having to untruthfully deny this.

Apologetic-National-Security-Agency

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

but I thought they were nice??

The niceness is a lie. Canada has one of the deadliest (the deadliest?) special ops group on the planet. 

We don't screw around when it comes to the national security of our beaver pelts and maple syrup. 

People are pissed that their emails are being collected? Do they actually think that internet is a safe place?

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack