help: is my graphics card running too hot?

ryjanpugz

Hey guys, I run a MSI R9 290 4gig Gaming and I'm watercooling it using a NZXT Kraken G10 and a Corsair H50 all-in-one watercooler.

Even with my fans at maximum speed, I still reach maximum temps of 83 degrees Celsius when I'm running a game like Battlefield 4. 

Is this too hot, given that I'm using watercooling? Should I check my thermal paste/compound?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

change thermal paste, all that needs to be done to return it to its coolest point. or just reduce the overclock

CA-RIP, Cz up hoes down, bang these hoes out with my rounds.

yeah, its should be much cooler. Even for a 290. 

Try remounting it. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Your card should be safe up to about 95C or so, though that's a bit excessive. My EVGA SSC 970 gets up to 73C during Shadow of Mordor, Battlefield 4, etc. Kind of high if you're water cooling though, but still safe. Might want to investigate that, but in terms of temps it's safe to run.

For water cooling, definitely.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Alright thanks guys! I did have a reference r9 290 before and that got really hot. I suspect that I probably put way too much thermal paste when I mounted the bracket lol.

I'm not even overclocking it that much. My core speed is only 1007MHz and memory is only 1300MHz

Hey guys, I run a MSI R9 290 4gig Gaming and I'm watercooling it using a NZXT Kraken G10 and a Corsair H50 all-in-one watercooler.

Even with my fans at maximum speed, I still reach maximum temps of 83 degrees Celsius when I'm running a game like Battlefield 4. 

Is this too hot, given that I'm using watercooling? Should I check my thermal paste/compound?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Seeing as how my laptop's GPU tops out at about 72 when I run it in single GPU mode in BF4 limited to 125fps... yes, your card is getting too bloody hot, even for being AMD.

But everyone else already helped you with that.

I kind of just wanted to gloat.

I am sorry.

I love you. 

<3.

Okay good night now *passes out*

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Hey guys, I replaced the thermal compound on it and it did help. I'm down from 83 degrees to 73 C now. Is this temperature still too hot? I did  overclock my card to 1007MHz core and 1300MHz Memory. 

Also, I aren't the R9 290s and 290Xs supposed to run hotter anyways? I remember AMD saying 92C was normal under load when the reference models first came out. I'm getting max 72C now under load so I guess it's an improvement? The watercooler that I'm using for the card is only a single 120mm radiator  (Corsair H50) anyways.

Hey guys, I replaced the thermal compound on it and it did help. I'm down from 83 degrees to 73 C now. Is this temperature still too hot? I did  overclock my card to 1007MHz core and 1300MHz Memory. 

At full load and OC'd, yes 73C would be normal for that card.  10C difference is a substantial improvement.

I still think that's too hot for a watercooled card. I run mine at 1100Mhz core and 1500Mhz memory with max temps of 79 C on air.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K @ 4.4GHz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600 SSD: Samsung EVO 840 120GB HDD: Western Digital 1TB Blue PSU: Corsair RM1000 Case: NZXT Phantom 630