Closed back cans for work

EmeraldFlame

I work in IT and I just recently decided to change employers. My new employer runs their entire internal phone system through VOIP and we are able to answer our phones straight from our computer.

Since I work in IT I am often taking technical calls from our other employees and can be on the phone for quite a while. I would like to get a nice pair of over ears to wear at work to take these calls on, along with listen to music.

Personally my budget is around $100-$150 dollars on these, they need to be closed back, they need to be relatively light so I can wear them for long periods of time, and I also want them to be relatively unassuming and non-flashy (once again professional work environment). At home I have a pair of Sennheiser HD558's that I absolutely love the weight, feel, comfort, and sound of, and I am looking for something comparable in a closed back. I know at this price point, I won't have near the soundstage that the HD558's do, but I can't be leaking that much sound at work.

For talking on calls, I will be coupling these headphones with a ModMic 4.0 that I will be purchasing outside this budget.

Any suggestions?

I know that audiophiles will murder me :D, but I like my Siberia v2, I can have them on my head for hours without much problem. The black ones arent too flashy and you could buy them for less then your budget. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

It would be hard to top the 558s in term of soundstage regardless of the budget. If you REALLY wanted the wide open soundstage but closed back, I'd recommend the AKG 550, but that is like doubled your budget. Another closed cans at that price which is good is the Shure SRH440 but they're far from comfortable.. Maybe the Custom One Pro would do for you? Though its no 558s in term of comfort.

HyperX Cloud is a recommendable headset, and would save you from having to use a modmic. It is the same headphones as the Gemini DJ HSR-1000 for reference. I'm told the cloud is quite comfy,. has great isolation, and is built very solidly.

If that's too flashy, Sony MDR 7506 is actually a legit professional monitoring headphone.

I know that audiophiles will murder me :D, but I like my Siberia v2, I can have them on my head for hours without much problem. The black ones arent too flashy and you could buy them for less then your budget. :)

I have Beats Studio 2, I like Bose headphones, and I don't think gaming headsets are dumb.

Bring on the hate. I'll stand with you. :D

I have better things to do than disparage people that don't think gaming headsets are dumb right now. Maybe later.

I'd say Shure SRH440, potentially with 840 pads if you want more bass.

I have Beats Studio 2, I like Bose headphones, and I don't think gaming headsets are dumb.

Bring on the hate. I'll stand with you. :D

I mean, some of the gaming headsets are stupidly expensive/flashy for what they are. I wanted something with half-decent mic and design for a reasonable price. I found the Siberia v2, I have them for some time now and the comfort is good, friends say that the mic is decent. Only problem can be in summer/heating in winter = sweaty ears, but that is just a closed back problem :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I have better things to do than disparage people that don't think gaming headsets are dumb right now. Maybe later.

I'd say Shure SRH440, potentially with 840 pads if you want more bass.

I have the 440 with 840 pads too. A lot more comfortable than the included pads with 440s but the headband still hurts over time :(

I've always heard good things about the ATH-M50's, how are they for comfortability?

I don't have them and I can't say much about their comfort but from what I have heard, the ATH-M50/x are way over hyped for their price. Some people even say that the ATH-M40x's are on par with a much much lower price tag. The responses from other posts seem like there are other headphones around this budget that could do much better than the M50/x.

HyperX Cloud is a recommendable headset, and would save you from having to use a modmic.

You could do this too since they do sound good for me and it would save you money to buy a modmic. But then again, idk if you think it is too flashy.

HyperX Cloud is a recommendable headset, and would save you from having to use a modmic. It is the same headphones as the Gemini DJ HSR-1000 for reference. I'm told the cloud is quite comfy,. has great isolation, and is built very solidly.

If that's too flashy, Sony MDR 7506 is actually a legit professional monitoring headphone.

I am just not sure on the clouds because of the type of headband they use. While I can honestly say that I have never worn the clouds themselves, I have worn a handful of other handphones that use the same headband type and I have never found it to be comfortable. 

I actually considered the MDR 7506's before even posting, but just wasn't sure on their comfortability. Happen to know how the feel after an extended period? I really don't need monitor quality headphones, but they are really cheap.

I don't have them and I can't say much about their comfort but from what I have heard, the ATH-M50/x are way over hyped for their price. Some people even say that the ATH-M40x's are on par with a much much lower price tag. The responses from other posts seem like there are other headphones around this budget that could do much better than the M50/x.

Thanks for the warning the those.

I am just not sure on the clouds because of the type of headband they use. While I can honestly say that I have never worn the clouds themselves, I have worn a handful of other handphones that use the same headband type and I have never found it to be comfortable. 

I actually considered the MDR 7506's before even posting, but just wasn't sure on their comfortability. Happen to know how the feel after an extended period? I really don't need monitor quality headphones, but they are really cheap.

I've used my friend's broken-in 7506 and it was very comfy. New ones are obviously going to have a tighter clamp.

The headband of the HyperX Cloud isn't all that different from the 7506 or M50X you were asking about above, so I dunno what you mean by those "types" of headbands being uncomfortable. I've never heard someone complain about those types of headbands, only clamping pressure at the ear.

I've used my friend's broken-in 7506 and it was very comfy. New ones are obviously going to have a tighter clamp.

The headband of the HyperX Cloud isn't all that different from the 7506 or M50X you were asking about above, so I dunno what you mean by those "types" of headbands being uncomfortable. I've never heard someone complain about those types of headbands, only clamping pressure at the ear.

Awesome the 7506's may be the way I go.

And yeah, I just took a look back, and it looks like I got some stuff mixed up. I had about 10 different amazon tabs with headphones pulled up, and somehow mixed up the HyperX Clouds with the Siberia V2's someone else had recommended. The siberias use that like suspension type headband.