Is my gaming PC build fine?

Cypriaan

Hello everyone,

I'm a 19 year old student from Belgium (Europe) who loves PC gaming.

Now that I've finally collected enough money to build the PC of my dreams I would really appreciate some help.

You should know that I'm a noob at this and it's the first time I'm trying to build my own PC.

I have a budget of € 4000 for the desktop with monitor, keyboard, mouse and mousepad.

I was thinking about to spend 3000 on the desktop only.

So it will be used to play games like Battlefield Hardline, Dying Light, Far Cry 4, Crysis 3, Assassins Creed Unity...

I will play on just one monitor with a resolution of 2560 x 1440 pixels (ASUS 27" Swift PG278Q).

At the moment I do not own any gaming PC.

This is my build:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K, 4,0 GHz (4,4 GHz Turbo Boost) 

MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO, socket 1150 
RAM: Corsair 32 GB DDR3-1600 Quad-Kit
GPU: 2 x ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14, 2 TB
SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO MZ-75E250B/EU, 250 GB

PSU: Corsair RM1000, 1000 Watt
Water Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H80i
Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24F1ST
Case: Corsair Graphite 780T

Monitor: ASUS 27" Swift PG278Q

Mouse: Corsair Raptor M45

Mousepad: Corsair MM400 Compact

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70

With this link you should be able to see all the products on the website where I will be buying it from:

http://www.alternate.be/html/configurator/builder/loadSharedConfiguration.html?kind=pcBuilder&id=d992b2fd9c37566c3bb24168b8b116ba

I hope to play those games at the 1440p resolution of the monitor on ultra settings with a playable FPS.

Is there enough power, cooling etc? Will the build work?

Thank you very much!

Seems fine to me. It will run almost all games at 45-60+FPS on max settings.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

With your budget you could go down the X99 route 

x99 for gaming isn't ideal. You'll be spending extra money for almost no performance difference. The build he has right now is pretty sick

x99 for gaming isn't ideal. You'll be spending extra money for almost no performance difference. The build he has right now is pretty sick

But X99 will last quite a bit longer.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

-

Waay to much Ram you don't need 32GB, 8GB are enough. 1000W PSU is also overpowered 850W will be perfectly fine. I'd also get a single SSD. Raiding SSD wont benefit you in everyday use.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

But X99 will last quite a bit longer.

X99 is bad for gaming, 4790K will give you same or even better performance for less, and by the time he will need upgrade he won't want to use X99 anyway.

Waay to much Ram you don't need 32GB, 8GB are enough. 1000W PSU is also overpowered 850W will be perfectly fine. I'd also get a single SSD. Raiding SSD wont benefit you in everyday use.

8GB is too low, more like 16GB and 850W will be enough but 1000 is not overkill and will give you more headroom.

The only thing I see wrong here is the ridiculous amount of ram in this build. 16gb will be more than enough for any type of gaming. Going with 32 gigs makes 0 sense, do yourself a favor and save that money for something else. The two 980's is what I would consider to be a waste of money as well for 1440p. You could easily go with two 970's and save money. PSU is overkill, something like an evga g2 750w would do just fine. Don't listen to people recommending X99, they have no idea what they are talking about. 

8GB is too low, more like 16GB and 850W will be enough but 1000 is not overkill and will give you more headroom.

750W would even be enough... But i mean its not like it really makes a difference. And for gaming theres no difference between 8GB and 16GB but since its such a high end build i guess you could put 16GB in there...

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Good job! I don't think you will use 32 gb ram for gameing but since you are in your budget, you can go for it. Or you can get 16gb and save money for a custom liquid cooling system ;)

For gaming 8gb is enough. 850w is overkill. 750w is giving headroom. 

Take with a grain of salt.  B) 

32GB of RAM is excessive, 16GB is fine for gaming+.

2TB will fill up pretty fast, and you don't have any redundancies("backups"). So you'll need moar storage space.

I have two 840 pros in raid and its worth it!

Whats an Optical drive? <-- No need. Get a digital copy of windows.

If you like the Corsair AIOs the get the H100i instead*.

GL!

*Note Check for compatibility first but iirc its fine

To sum it up.

RAM, MBO and PSU are a bit overkill and you could save money without loosing performance there but with that big budget for your first PC I don't think that you really care that much about that :D

CPU cooler is weak compared to the rest of the build and I would recommend you getting better one (H100i or even 110i would be nice)

You can safe by getting 16GB of ram, no game uses more than 8GB right now, MBO doesn't affect performance and the reason to get more expensive one are features or looks.

PSU is most important part of PC so even though yours is a bit better than you actually need I would personally stick with it.

If you understand the value of your money, here's the build you should go. Already with a monitor included. It's so cheap (and strong) that you could even buy 2 of those, and have a roommate to play with and have a lot more fun than wasting it all on a single PC.

Or, you could save that cash, and ask your parents to buy you a new car. Trust us, you are flushing a lot of money down the toilet with that build of yours. If you want, I can explain every choice in a later post.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€219.90 @ Caseking)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (€33.10 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (€109.90 @ Caseking)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (€68.47 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€95.50 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€56.90 @ Caseking)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (€365.43 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (€365.43 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  (€109.90 @ Caseking)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€63.90 @ Caseking)
Monitor: BenQ GW2765HT 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  (€389.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €1877.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-23 18:17 CET+0100

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

The only thing I see wrong here is the ridiculous amount of ram in this build. 16gb will be more than enough for any type of gaming. Going with 32 gigs makes 0 sense, do yourself a favor and save that money for something else. The two 980's is what I would consider to be a waste of money as well for 1440p. You could easily go with two 970's and save money. PSU is overkill, something like an evga g2 750w would do just fine. Don't listen to people recommending X99, they have no idea what they are talking about. 

X99 will not offer any performance increase but if the user wants to upgrade to skylake or Broadwell then if I am correct they will use x99 boards.

For gaming 8gb is enough. 850w is overkill. 750w is giving headroom. 

As far as I know nVIDIA says that 850W is minimum for 2x980.

As far as I know nVIDIA says that 850W is minimum for 2x980.

And Linus said it's 370w. With OC. On a OC 5930k. From the wall.

Aka, less than 350w of REAL wattage.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

X99 will not offer any performance increase but if the user wants to upgrade to skylake or Broadwell then if I am correct they will use x99 boards.

X99 upgrade paths are confirmed for Broadwell only. Skylake will use a different platform. Most computer enthusiast will skip over Broadwell and wait for the Skylake platform. 

4790k will still be relevant for the next couple years to come. 

And Linus said it's 370w. With OC. On a OC 5930k. From the wall.

Aka, less than 350w of REAL wattage.

With PC like that you don't want cheap PSU, EVGA 850G2 would be as cheap as I would go.

X99 upgrade paths are confirmed for Broadwell only. Skylake will use a different platform. Most computer enthusiast will skip over Broadwell and wait for the Skylake platform. 

4790k will still be relevant for the next couple years to come. 

Ok, I am in the same boat as the OP I am planning my first build but I was unsure what platform to go for but now I will go with z97 and go with the i7 4790k.