New photos show smaller 5" 720p Zenfone 2 to be released, Qualcomm and MediaTek versions, to fit $200 price point

Aniallation

Source: http://9to5google.com/2015/02/16/5-inch-zenfone-2/

More of a sister article to the previous one, where the full-fledged 5.5" 1080p Zenfone 2 that we saw at CES this year was not going to be priced at the hyped $200 price point that everybody thought it would be. 

Turns out that it's the smaller 5" 720p Zenfone 2 that may be released in the future to fit within the $200 price window that so many people on the forum were tripping balls about.

IMO seems like a refresh of the Zenfone 5... but only time will tell I guess, we'll see. However if priced at $199 unless we see something new from Qualcomm or some other feature(s) that make it a very special device, I'm not sure if it will exactly be a mind-blowing competitor to the 2nd-gen Moto G.

New photos have surfaced this morning showing what is purportedly the 5-inch variant of the ASUS Zenfone 2. This device has been rumored for quite some time, but now we have some tangible evidence that it’s likely a legitimate part of the Zenfone 2 lineup. The Taiwanese company announced the Zenfone 2 at CES 2015, but only showed off a model with a 5.5-inch screen.

zenfone-2-5-inch-edition-3.jpg?w=704

The physical appearance of this 5-inch model isn’t a drastic departure from the other, but there are a few minor differences. Of course, the device is a bit physically smaller overall, but it’s also apparent that ASUS has moved from a dual-LED flash located above the camera lens to a single-LED flash that’s located to the right. Interestingly, the ASUS logo also appears to be located closer to the center of the device.

As for specs, this phone is expected to be a bit less capable than its bigger (and more expensive) brothers. The device is expected to have a 720p display, 2 GB of RAM, LTE support, and Android 5.0 Lollipop on the software side. And as for the price tag, it’s likely going to fit into that $199 slot that Asus touted at CES.

zenfone-2-5-inch-edition-2.jpg?w=1200&h=

zenfone-2-5-inch-edition.jpg?w=1200&h=&c

I got a chance to get my hands on the Zenfone 2 at CES, and I was fairly impressed with the specs that these pack for the price. Sadly, it looks like the rock-bottom $199 price tag that seemed to make this device so attractive at CES might be going to this lesser 5-inch model.

"Rawr XD"

Am I the only one who wouldnt buy one?

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

I introduce to you,Azus Jenfoong 2..tengkiu,tengkiu,tengkiu..

i wanted to buy this phone because of the 200$ price and because of the intel chip inside..

so I dont know anymore

im ok with 720p display...im just uncertain where I will need the use for 4gb ram

i wanted to buy this phone because of the 200$ price and because of the intel chip inside..

so I dont know anymore

im ok with 720p display...im just uncertain where I will need the use for 4gb ram

obviously because möre RÄM means MÖRE BÄTTER.

In anycase what really matters is that they apear to have speakers on the back, ASUS... I expected more of you.

I'm really curious about the ZOOM version thought, wanna know how that cam tech will turn out.

obviously because möre RÄM means MÖRE BÄTTER.

In anycase what really matters is that they apear to have speakers on the back, ASUS... I expected more of you.

I'm really curious about the ZOOM version thought, wanna know how that cam tech will turn out.

yes, that zoom version!! since the price isn't really in the 200$ as it was bragged., that zoom version is really tempting..i mean, if going over 200$, might as well something REEEAALLY different/innovative..

but will decide AFTER reviews

Sounds interesting to me.

I don't need a $500+ phone to run the latest apps and what not.

I just want decent battery life so I can listen to music at work, navigation with GPS, check my email and call/text.

I have an LG L90 right now and it works pretty well and I can get 2 days out of it before needing to charge it (2 8 hours shifts listening to music, checking emails a few times and light web browsing/googleing) but I would like something a little more powerful as the phone can be a tad sluggish on occasion.