Air cooler vs. AIO liquid cooler (CPU)

Go to solution Solved by Octavialicious,

I am willing to put down the 150$ or so the Corsair Hydro H100 costs but from what I've found that price is not justified by the performance compared to the 75$ or so for something like be quiet! Dark Rock 3

I'd get a Noctua NH-D14 or NH-D15. They're under $100 and they are on par with the top end AiO's (Not to mention they are SUPER quiet!)

http://www.outletpc.com/ft8612.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA9qCnBRCb7ZDhvaHSyicSJABGFFHtgeRWZD2v8kIoVvY42Rpgyi989YdC6q0FoNsUObEQ9xoCDNjw_wcB

I am building a new rig (mainly for games) and want an after market cooler for a i5-4690k so I can get a good OC.

My problem is that I find conflicting results from different comparisons of the efficiency of AIO liquid coolers vs. air coolers, additionally I find the documentation of their methodology a bit lacking sometimes.

So my question is:

Is an AIO liquid cooler significantly better than an air cooler? and if they are, are they worth twice the price?

No, they are neck and neck depending on what price range you look at. The advantages to AiO's are looks, size, and sometimes noise levels

What's your budget?

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I am willing to put down the 150$ or so the Corsair Hydro H100 costs but from what I've found that price is not justified by the performance compared to the 75$ or so for something like be quiet! Dark Rock 3.

When it comes to overclocking, AiO coolers actually do come out on top, unless you're looking at air coolers with huge heat sinks. A dual rad AiO that can fit on the top of your case will do just fine. The bigger the rad, the better the temps. It's almost as simple as that.

I am willing to put down the 150$ or so the Corsair Hydro H100 costs but from what I've found that price is not justified by the performance compared to the 75$ or so for something like be quiet! Dark Rock 3

I'd get a Noctua NH-D14 or NH-D15. They're under $100 and they are on par with the top end AiO's (Not to mention they are SUPER quiet!)

http://www.outletpc.com/ft8612.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA9qCnBRCb7ZDhvaHSyicSJABGFFHtgeRWZD2v8kIoVvY42Rpgyi989YdC6q0FoNsUObEQ9xoCDNjw_wcB

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

also take in consideration, that air cooler dumps the heat from CPU in case, not outside the case like AIO could

so if you don't have excellent airflow trough your case, it's worth getting AIO

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

I am willing to put down the 150$ or so the Corsair Hydro H100 costs but from what I've found that price is not justified by the performance compared to the 75$ or so for something like be quiet! Dark Rock 3.

The BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 (If anything like my Dark Rock 2) is a bit awkward to install. You need arms like an Octopus  :D It is a great cooler though.

The Phanteks PH-TC14PE is another excellent air cooler. It is pretty big though at 171mm Tall so you would need a case that can accommodate it and preferably low profile Ram.

Water coolers will always be a bit more noisier due to the sound from the pump. 

also take in consideration, that air cooler dumps the heat from CPU in case, not outside the case like AIO could

The rear exhaust fan will expel the majority of hot air from the cooler.

AIO cooler, cost a preimum, looks nice and don't have to worry about ram tallness.

AIR cooler, also cost a premium but some good ones like the 212 Evo cost at a affordable price. Have to worry about ram tallness. There is no way to fit a HyperX Beast with them blue ridiculously tall heatsinks, under a 212 Evo. Less parts to break down vs AIO where it also requires a pump.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

There is no way to fit a HyperX Beast under a 212 Evo.

You can with a Dremel  :lol: only joking 

AIO coolers IMO are for cases where an air cooler wont fit like a cooler master elite 130 or a corsair air 240. Otherwise, an air cooler is a much better price/performance.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

You can with a Dremel  :lol: only joking 

Oh well, if it doesn't fit can always use it as a comb. :P

Edit: My mistake, looks like the ram I was talking about is not called the Hyper X Beast

33bz3vm.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I am building a new rig (mainly for games) and want an after market cooler for a i5-4690k so I can get a good OC.

My problem is that I find conflicting results from different comparisons of the efficiency of AIO liquid coolers vs. air coolers, additionally I find the documentation of their methodology a bit lacking sometimes.

So my question is:

Is an AIO liquid cooler significantly better than an air cooler? and if they are, are they worth twice the price?

AIO liquid coolers can be better and worse than air coolers depending on the size and thickness of the radiator, the waterblock, tubing, etc... and have another point of failure (the pump), though I personally find that they look much better than bulky air coolers that would do the same job.

I personally would go for a 240mm aio or 360mm aio any day over a bulky air cooler. (Except for in an environment where the case has no window, and I want it to as silent as possible)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Only the NH-D14 and NH-D15 trade blows with a good AIO and they both come with their own compatibility considerations. Not to mention being... quite a niche aesthetic, to but it mildly.

AIO liquid coolers can be better and worse than air coolers depending on the size and thickness of the radiator, the waterblock, tubing, etc... and have another point of failure (the pump), though I personally find that they look much better than bulky air coolers that would do the same job.

I personally would go for a 240mm aio or 360mm aio any day over a bulky air cooler. (Except for in an environment where the case has no window, and I want it to as silent as possible)

Don't really like cases with windows anyway so inside looks doesn't matter to me (beyond good cable management etc. for optimized airflow)

I wouldn't bother with AIO coolers.

A Dark Rock Pro 3 or Noctua cooler would be good (and look better imo)

I agree air coolers look nice that AIO coolers, shiny metal looks way better than some black tubes and a fat radiator. Though I want a windowless case so I wan't actually be looking at it that often.

A good airflow and positive pressure should solve that issue. Also if I were to go for a AIO I would have it on an intake to get the coldest air over it.

Were planning on noctua fans for a potential AIO anyway for the silence.

Thanks for the great input everybody. Think the matter has been settled for me at least - Air cooler it is.

What you need my friend is a cryorig r1 universal 

Im at 4.8ghz on my 4790k and At load I never go above 65C 
On a h110 I went up to 77C full load 

A good airflow and positive pressure should solve that issue. Also if I were to go for a AIO I would have it on an intake to get the coldest air over it.

i have it as intake as well

and the rad is cool enough, so as air goes trough fins, it doesn't affect the temp significantly any way

but if you were worried about that, you can always turn it into exhaust

and with air cooler you need good airflow>more fans>probably higher speed>noise...

atm i have 2 noctuas at 800rpm as intake, fans on rad at 800rpm as intake and 1 exhaust that barely moves and no problems even in H440, which is known for bad airflow :P

the loudest thing in there is the GPU now 

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Also if I were to go for a AIO I would have it on an intake to get the coldest air over it.

You're missing the point of liquid cooling. You're not trying to keep the radiator cool, you're trying to shove the heat OUT of your case. By using your rad as an intake you are dragging heat away from your CPU to the rad and then pumping it straight back onto your motherboard area. You might as well just take the fans off it.

Think of it this way: you're sucking heat from the CPU into the CPU block. This then passes into the coolant and runs through the tubing, ending up at the radiator. You are then using fans to shunt this heat directly into the case you have just taken it out of.

Radiators should be exhausts, because they just don't work otherwise. Sure, some people may not notice much difference if their case and component arrangement are favourable, but they're still throttling their CPU, albeit mildly.