1-way vs 2-way vs 3-way vs 4-way SLI GTX680

BCreation

Title.

I read that 4-way SLI decreases performance in some cases and also 2-way SLI out performs it.

Any direct benchmarks?

Title. I read that 4-way SLI decreases performance in some cases and also 2-way SLI out performs it. Any direct benchmarks?

Its mostly due to very old applications and games. It has less to do with it "performing worse" and more to do with it scaling worse/being disabled. Thusly, almost every benchmark you see will have quad-sli beating SLI, simply because no one benches on those older games.

Title. I read that 4-way SLI decreases performance in some cases and also 2-way SLI out performs it. Any direct benchmarks?

Its mostly due to very old applications and games. It has less to do with it "performing worse" and more to do with it scaling worse/being disabled. Thusly, almost every benchmark you see will have quad-sli beating SLI, simply because no one benches on those older games.

If you had the money for each one, which one would you buy? I know 4-way could be the obvious answer..But I'm curious.

I would buy gtx 690 for less heat/power consumption/noise

I would definitely NOT buy a 690, lol that's for sure.

If it was an actual build, even if I had the money I'd get SLI 4GB 670s for an everyday gaming build and I didn't want to be stupid with my money. If it was for a benchmarking only build I would get Quad SLI 4GB 680s. That would be ONLY for a benchmarking machine.

The real world performance benefits out of anything more than 2 way SLI is not great. Scaling on 2 way SLI or Crossfire has recently only became decent. I still would only go as far as 2 way, until drivers and games become more optimized for multi GPU. Benchmarks are the only thing that will benefit greatly from more than 2 way SLI or Crossfire.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

1080p: single 2gb 680

3 x 1080p: dual 2gb 680

3x 1080p triple 4gb 680

4 way SLI - no point. 3 x 2560x1440? The memory bandwidth will hold you back too much.

What if you were running 7680 x 1600? (4GB 680s apply) Would you still only use four 680s for benchmarking?

7680x1600 is insane and I wouldn't use nvidia cards to run it. I have no idea how quadfire 7970s would cope, probably poorly.