Asus STRIX 970 upgrade

Go to solution Solved by sysotene,

Your card will fit in and function well with your motherboard.

Not sure how much you're willing to spend on your new PSU, but ~500W would be a good capacity to shoot for. Give me a budget and your retailer or choice and I'll give you a few recommendations.

I'm probably willing to spend around a 100 bucks/euros on the psu. I'm looking for any psu that's reliable and of decent quality. For the retailer I'm probably going to choose a local one if I find a good psu, so that doesn't really matter and i don't have a preference.

Hi,

I'm kinda new to this site so I'm not that sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but here goes:

I'm planning on upgrading my GPU from an ASUS GTX 550 ti to an ASUS GTX 970. I'll also have to upgrade my PSU, because my current 400W one probably isn't going to cut it...(and it only has one 6 pin connector) 

I have an Asus P8H67M-PRO (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H67M_PRO/) mobo and I'm wondering if the card will fit in the pcie slot because of the audio ports next to it. And also if the card is compatable with the mobo. I'm kinda new with this stuff, so I don't have a lot of knowledge yet..

My CPU is an Intel i7 2600 if that is needed to anything..

Thanks in advance, and I'd be happy if anyone could recommend a PSU for this purpose. I believe the ASUS GTX 970 uses an 8 pin connector. 

Welcome to the Forum.

It seems like you've posted in the right place.

I'm not sure about the PCI slot problem, but it looks like you should be fine if you use the lower one.

For a power supply...I don't know. Something like this should be fine? http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-80PLUS-Certified-ATX12V-100-W1-0500-KR/dp/B00H33SFJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424436335&sr=8-1&keywords=500w

Sig under construction.

well it doesn't look like you are going to bottleneck, check

8 pin PCIe power required , so new psu , check

psu of choice http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-B1-0500-KR

with the pcie cable of choice , check

It is a pcie 16 interface gen 2 on your board and a pcie gen 3 on your card so it will work , it just wont have all of the bandwidth it could possibly use. but that is not the worst thing ever, plus you could always upgrade your board later 

and generally most cards even with a back plate do not foul the I/O but would be a good idea to see how much space you actually have 5 mm off the back of your current card (if it doesnt have a back plate would be ideal ) 

hope that is enough info :)

My rig: 5820k 48Gb DDR4 Gskill Ripjaws, m.2 pcie samsgung 256Gb boot, rampage v extreme x99, 2x asus 980 strix  14.5 Tb other ssds and hdds. Laptop: Lenovo Y510P. Peripherals: G13 /RAT 7 /Corsair K70 RGB/ FLY 5 

well it doesn't look like you are going to bottleneck, check

8 pin PCIe power required , so new psu , check

psu of choice http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-B1-0500-KR

with the pcie cable of choice , check

It is a pcie 16 interface gen 2 on your board and a pcie gen 3 on your card so it will work , it just wont have all of the bandwidth it could possibly use. but that is not the worst thing ever, plus you could always upgrade your board later 

and generally most cards even with a back plate do not foul the I/O but would be a good idea to see how much space you actually have 5 mm off the back of your current card (if it doesnt have a back plate would be ideal ) 

hope that is enough info :)

The card I have installed right now doesn't have a backplate and there's maybe about 5 mm before the I/O (from the back of the GPU to the I/O) . So it might fit barely the problem with the lower pcie slot on th mobo is that I think it's PCIE x8 and the upper one is x16, so it might bottleneck the card. But thanks for the help, both of you, and I was guessing a 500W PSU would be okay. I'll probably go with an EVGA 500W PSU as suggested. 

cool :) as always piccies of the build when you are done are our reward :)

My rig: 5820k 48Gb DDR4 Gskill Ripjaws, m.2 pcie samsgung 256Gb boot, rampage v extreme x99, 2x asus 980 strix  14.5 Tb other ssds and hdds. Laptop: Lenovo Y510P. Peripherals: G13 /RAT 7 /Corsair K70 RGB/ FLY 5 

People will say PCI-E 2.0 won't bottleneck you, but I for one experienced a bottleneck with my GTX 660 on an AMD fm2 motherboard with PCI-E 2.0

It was probably the cpu though, hard to say. You will have trouble getting to anything in the lower right corner of the board, the 970 is a fairly large card. Much larger than I expected.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

8 pin PCIe power required , so new psu

The Asus Strix version of the 970 only needs a 6 pin :)

The Asus Strix version of the 970 only needs a 6 pin :)

Sorry mate, but you're wrong. Picture from review. And you have the card too...

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

-snip-

Not sure how much you're willing to spend on your new PSU, but ~500W would be a good capacity to shoot for. Give me a budget and your retailer or choice and I'll give you a few recommendations.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

Sorry mate, but you're wrong. Picture from review. And you have the card too...

I guess I'm extremely mistaken, I could have sworn it was 6 pin. Thanks for the correction :)

I guess I'm extremely mistaken, I could have sworn it was 6 pin. Thanks for the correction :)

Probably because the stock configuration is 2 6-pin plugs. You're welcome. =)

On a side note, it seems Asus has a tendency to make dual 6-pin plugs a single 8-pin on their custom designs. They did that with the 760 too.

Sorry mate, but you're wrong. Picture from review. And you have the card too...

i took my info from asus' uk site, im pretty sure its 8 but if there is any confusion they might need to update their info

i took my info from asus' uk site, im pretty sure its 8 but if there is any confusion they might need to update their info

It's a single 8-pin. My comment wasn't directed at you lol...

It's a single 8-pin. My comment wasn't directed at you lol...

i have just seen i picked the wrong one, i am soooo sorry dude forgive me now or i shall have to fall on my own sword, and also thanks for the defence of my research on their site :)

i shall have to fall on my own sword

loll. If you do that, I wish to claim your X99 rig. :D

loll. If you do that, I wish to claim your X99 rig. :D

lol im surprised people aren't offended by the amount of sound isolation :P it took a loooong time to cut all that foam

lol im surprised people aren't offended by the amount of sound isolation :P it took a loooong time to cut all that foam

1. Why do/did you have a fan under the PSU cover?
  2. Why do you have 2 exhaust 1 intake in the top?
  3. OMG YOU FOAMED BASICALLY EVERY FLAT SURFACE YOU COULD FIND IN YOUR RIG. whoa.

1. Why do/did you have a fan under the PSU cover?
  2. Why do you have 2 exhaust 1 intake in the top?
  3. OMG YOU FOAMED BASICALLY EVERY FLAT SURFACE YOU COULD FIND IN YOUR RIG. whoa.

1. the fan eventually ended up at 45 degrees  and - well there was a place for a fan so WTH :P It actually worked surprisingly well as a passive PSU cooler ( the corsairs have temp monitoring)

2. the VRM gets reeeeeel toasty (60 degrees on a long render cycle) so the back to and top are basically just airflow over that area. 

3. YES, YES i did :) there are no vibrations of any kind heard from my rig EVER its a nice quiet beast :)

I'm probably willing to spend around a 100 bucks/euros on the psu. I'm looking for any psu that's reliable and of decent quality. For the retailer I'm probably going to choose a local one if I find a good psu, so that doesn't really matter and i don't have a preference.

Then I'll just list product lines where you can pick any model within line and you'll be good. They should all have at least one model that's in the price range.

Super Flower Golden Green

Super Flower Leadex

EVGA B2

EVGA G2

Seasonic S12II

Seasonic M12II

XFX TS Series

XFX XTR Series

Then I'll just list product lines where you can pick any model within line and you'll be good. They should all have at least one model that's in the price range.

Super Flower Golden Green

Super Flower Leadex

EVGA B2

EVGA G2

Seasonic S12II

Seasonic M12II

XFX TS Series

XFX XTR Series

I found a pretty good priced PSU from Seasonic, and I'm thinking it might be good for this cause. It's a Seasonic M12II 620W evolution PSU (http://www.seasonicusa.com/M12-EVO-Edition.htm), modular also. Now all that's left is to get the card and the psu and install them. Hopefully all of this soon. Thanks for the suggestions.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the card and the PSU. 

I ended up going with a corsair CX600M PSU, 'cause it was a better fit in the case...Neither was the I/O a problem and the card fit nice and snugly. 

Despite everything though the card works fantastically and I'm not seeing any clear bottlenecks. For example Crysis 3's averaging ~50 fps with full graphics at 1080p. As well as BF4 above 60fps

It's really a awesome card, even though it has only 3.5 GB 'real' memory instead of 4GB  :D

Thanks for the help! :)