Are we all being duped by mechanical keyboard makers?

Go to solution Solved by compuwise,

ps2 alone doesn't get you anti-ghosting/nkr.

mechanical boards that have anti-ghosting and nkr have a diode in/under every switch.

membrane keyboards can't have a diode soldered between the contact layers so they can't have nkr.

1000hz polling is usb only, and doesn't really matter imo.

This looks like the best answer.  Thank you.

I read up on the limitations of the matrix used on membrane keyboards and how this is overcome with the diode in mechanical keyboards.  Interesting. 

From what I can tell here are the four major selling points of a mechanical keyboard

1. High quality switches like Cherry MX 

2. Anti-Ghosting

3. n-key rollover

4. 1000 hz polling

The first being a very big selling point and to me the only real selling point because from my research all of the other three benefits are inherent to PS/2

Even with a membrane keyboard it appears you can take one of those $2 USB to PS/2 adapters and have everything but the mechanical switch itself.

Why then are the mechanical switches so important then?  Is it the clickety-click noise? The tactile feel? Would you pay $100 more just to feel a tactile bump? 

I know the keys last longer but for $20 bucks I don't mind buying another membrane keyboard every 5 million presses.  

Wikipedia is just a starting point.  I seldom use wiki only as the data can be manipulated but for the most part I trust their admins. I recommend doing some research on your own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS/2_connector

http://www.computer-engineering.org/ps2protocol/

If all those things can be achieved so cheaply why hasn't everyone caught on?  Could it be that manufacturers have repackaged old technology and are selling it as new to the masses? It has happened before.

I task you to find one "gaming" keyboard box that does not boast in big or small letters somewhere on the box that they have Anti-ghosting, key rollover and 1000hz (or just fast) polling.

Computer enthusiast, Network Consultant - 16+ years experience - Associates Degree in Electronics - 1996 - CompTIA A+ certification - 2000 - Bachelor's Degree of Information Technology - 2010

The typing experience.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The typing experience.

Joking or serious?

I can go to a flea market and dig through a box of junk electronics and find a 15 year old mechanical keyboard, clean it up and it will still work like new.  Why pay so much for typing experience?

Computer enthusiast, Network Consultant - 16+ years experience - Associates Degree in Electronics - 1996 - CompTIA A+ certification - 2000 - Bachelor's Degree of Information Technology - 2010

Don't forget durability and plastics used. IMO, they're really worth the money.

See my post to Godlygamer.

Some of the old mechs that I used were metal.  Durability is something we should be able to expect from just about any product we buy (IMO). But I know you get what you pay for.  Just seems like it shouldn't cost that much.

Joking or serious?

I can go to a flea market and dig through a box of junk electronics and find a 15 year old mechanical keyboard, clean it up and it will still work like new.  Why pay so much for typing experience?

I have been thinking about doing just that but then modding it to my liking... i just want the switches so i can make my own keyboard lol

Mechanical keyboards aren't for everyone. The boards are expensive, just flat out, thats the truth. But to me, and the people who love them, they are worth the money. If you don't believe its worth your money you don't have to buy them. No one is forcing you to. 

Current Keyboards: Ergodox w/ clears, Poker 2 w/ clears, Ducky G2 Pro w/ Blues

Joking or serious?

People do that. Like a lot of people. . .

I have a Model M keyboard, its not Cherry keyboard or anything. Its just the feel of typing on the thing. You can't really know what you're getting into without actually using one first.

The new keyboards generally have more features to them, mostly aesthetic . I don't mind having a beige keyboard, but some people would hate to have one next to thier black monitor, mouse, etc. LED backlit keys are also really cool. Macros and other media keys are also good. 

It all comes down to your opinion, and whether you think it's worth it, its your typing experience after all.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Joking or serious?

They're comfortable, generally have a pleasing sound (like with MX Browns), tactile, awesome plastics used, very durable and last a long time, and they're new, so you know that there won't be any serious gross stuff on the keyboard. IMO, it's always good to get new peripherals as opposed to used, especially keyboards.

See my post to Godlygamer.

Some of the old mechs that I used were metal.  Durability is something we should be able to expect from just about any product we buy (IMO). But I know you get what you pay for.  Just seems like it shouldn't cost that much.

Well, we have things like the Corsair K95 that use metal as well. 

Joking or serious?

I can go to a flea market and dig through a box of junk electronics and find a 15 year old mechanical keyboard, clean it up and it will still work like new. Why pay so much for typing experience?

You asked what's great about a mechanical keyboard. I gave you that answer. I made no distinction between old and new mechanical keyboards.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Anyone who owns a Model M would know that they were built to last, and if you're lucky enough to find one in a flea market, I'd suggest you snag it. I have a Lexmark Model M, plus 8 other mechanical KBs with Cherry switches, I love 'em all! I have three pretty good rigs, and other than upgrading the GPU's, which I don't see a need to atm, I decided sometime late last year to see what I could do to improve the gaming experience. Now, with GPU's, you buy a newer and more powerful GPU(s), you get instant gratification with higher ingame setting and smoother framerate, and even perhaps multi-monitor surround gaming.

So, I was tired of the constant GPU upgrades, my present cards can last me a while, so I wanted to look at something different to improve the gaming experience. I started out with just one mech KB and pretty soon, I have 9 mechanical KBs including the Model M, and I will surpass that number with the release of the Ducky Shine III series. now, with mech KBs, I find that somehow, it's a very subtle improvement and has indeed rejuvenated gaming (for me anyway), I find myself swapping KB's just to see how different each felt,,,,,as you can see in my sig, I'm now using the Trigger Green for my main rig and it's a pleasure to type on. heck, I'm typing this post with it actually, the look and feel of these KBs do add to the overall richness of gaming, and productivity work with my computers. I really don't mind typing out pages of reports I've had to do every few days.......I used to detest it with my regular membrane KBs.

Now, it boils down to how much one is willing, and open, to try out things. And of course, how much one is willing to spend to for the KB that satisfies you (and your fingers :D ), mech KB's can be visually pleasing, have good quality parts and workmanship, and simply very pleasing to use especially with the switch that suits you. :)

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I started out with just one mech KB and pretty soon, I have 9 mechanical KBs including the Model M, and I will surpass that number with the release of the Ducky Shine III series.

You too have the curse of the mechanical keyboard. lol

Joking or serious?

Were mechanical keyboards 20 bucks back in the day?

And a better typing experience is no joke.  When you're going to be typing on this thing on a daily basis, don't you want it to allow you to type as efficiently as possible?

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I pre-ordered a Ducky Shine 3 YOTS for $220. Is it worth it? Yup. I like the look and the feel of the switches.

It's more of a hobby than anything. Value is subjective when it comes to things like this. 

You asked what's great about a mechanical keyboard. I gave you that answer. I made no distinction between old and new mechanical keyboards.

I wasn't trying to bash or snap back. I was just stating that even if the experience was better is it so much better that you pay that much more.

mechanical boards that have anti-ghosting and nkr have a diode in/under every switch.

membrane keyboards can't have a diode soldered between the contact layers so they can't have nkr.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

I get it.  I would like to have a nice kyb with Cherry MX switches.  I mainly wanted to know if a)my thinking about the last three benefits was accurate 2)does having those three benefits and the higher cost of mech outway the benefits of the switches 

I think I got a lot of good feedback.  I appreciate it.  Keep it going.  

Were mechanical keyboards 20 bucks back in the day?

And a better typing experience is no joke.  When you're going to be typing on this thing on a daily basis, don't you want it to allow you to type as efficiently as possible?

Mechanical keyboards were fairly cheap at first but quickly started becoming more expensive which is why the industry went to membrane.  I personally like the smooth feel and quiet response of membrane.   I see people all the time talking about which color Cherry switch they prefer and many of them go with blues and blacks which are very quiet so it seems we are paying more for something we can already get in a cheaper keyboard.   Some things you're just not going to get in a cheap board, I agree.

This looks like the best answer.  Thank you.

I read up on the limitations of the matrix used on membrane keyboards and how this is overcome with the diode in mechanical keyboards.  Interesting. 

Mechanical keyboards were fairly cheap at first but quickly started becoming more expensive which is why the industry went to membrane.  I personally like the smooth feel and quiet response of membrane.   I see people all the time talking about which color Cherry switch they prefer and many of them go with blues and blacks which are very quiet so it seems we are paying more for something we can already get in a cheaper keyboard.   Some things you're just not going to get in a cheap board, I agree.

Blue switches aren't actually that quiet due to their distinct click they make. You might have them confused with browns.

why do people buy bigger TVs? just sit closer to your current one. ;)

i find it quite silly to spend your money on things that you're NOT using everyday before spending your money on things that you do.

Early model M's were quite expensive to make but of course back then considering the price of a PC they were not that expensive. But as a stand alone peripheral the margin of profit was really narrow.

When someone figured out how to make membrane keyboards, the industry went with them because they are incredibly simple and cheap to make.

Back to the original question. Mechanical keyboards are significantly better than rubber dome keyboards. Some people prefer chiclet though. But when you get used to a mechanical keyboard is almost painful to use a cheap membrane keyboard. For example at home I use a cherry mx blue switch keyboard, and when I'm at my university I have to use membrane keyboards. I type around half as fast and make more mistakes.

If you give a mechanical keyboard to any touch typist, they will definitely start typing faster.