New GUP or nahhhh

overloss123

Hi, 

So i have an XFX 7970 and i am wondering wither i get a 970 or not. I live in Australia so my general temperatures are pretty high in general, but my GPU keeps hitting 80-90c mid games. I only play games in either 1920x1080 or 1600x900 on high or ultra(extreme) setting. The FPS is good (considering its age (30-60 FPS). 

My question is, is it worth me buying a GTX 970 because i feel that my GPU at the moment is not powerful enough and is running way to hot + its really loud when it gets to those temperatures. 

also if you recommend me getting a 970, which one do think i should get. 

( I am running 2 samsung s22c350 and look to upgrade soon ( currently one straight hdmi and one dvi to hdmi conversion connection) i have an fx 3850, corsair h80, 2 SSD'S and 1 HHD with a 700 PSU).

(((In Image, excuse background))))post-191909-0-12453200-1424259708_thumb.

post-191909-0-12453200-1424259708_thumb.

new GPU for 1080p go with the 970

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

The 970 runs pretty cool; the Gigabyte G1 I tested stayed at around 60C on full load.

Hi, 

So i have an XFX 7970 and i am wondering wither i get a 970 or not. I live in Australia so my general temperatures are pretty high in general, but my GPU keeps hitting 80-90c mid games. I only play games in either 1920x1080 or 1600x900 on high or ultra(extreme) setting. The FPS is good (considering its age (30-60 FPS). 

My question is, is it worth me buying a GTX 970 because i feel that my GPU at the moment is not powerful enough and is running way to hot + its really loud when it gets to those temperatures. 

also if you recommend me getting a 970, which one do think i should get. 

( I am running 2 samsung s22c350 and look to upgrade soon ( currently one straight hdmi and one dvi to hdmi conversion connection) i have an fx 3850, corsair h80, 2 SSD'S and 1 HHD with a 700 PSU).

(((In Image, excuse background))))attachicon.giftooo hot.png

The 970 out the box will be a decent bump in speed, and you are essentially going from a r9 280x to a gpu comparable to a 290. The TDP of the 970 is also significantly lower than your current card (145W vs 250W), and thus will run significantly cooler. If you have the money then moving to a 970 will help with most of your problems.

Regarding which one to get, the g1 gaming version, or maybe the asus stix would probably be your best bet. I dont have much experience with the msi version, but i do know that the gigabyte 970 can reach very respectable clocks while staying near the 70's (around 1500 Mhz, which will be much faster than your current setup)

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

I personally recommend a GTX 970. My OC'd GTX 970 from Gigabyte Windforce 3x (Not G1 Gaming) is able to run games at 1440p at 52-72FPS on Ultra settings while playng Far Cry 4, and 58 FPS on Battlefield HArdline (Beta) at Ultra settings (But only with Post Anti Aliasing) but the temps are going up to 84°C at a fan speed of 95-100%.

CPU i7 4790 - GPU Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 3x OC - RAM 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury - MOBO Asus B85M-E - Case CM Silencio 550 Storage 2x 1TB WD Red - OS Windows 8.1 OEM - Phone OnePlus One 64GB Sandstone Black

What case do you have, and your fan configuration?

I have an nzxt 410 and i have 2 fans at the front of the case, the h80 at the back with both fans blowing out and one fan at the top 

The 970 out the box will be a decent bump in speed, and you are essentially going from a r9 280x to a gpu comparable to a 290. The TDP of the 970 is also significantly lower than your current card (145W vs 250W), and thus will run significantly cooler. If you have the money then moving to a 970 will help with most of your problems.

Regarding which one to get, the g1 gaming version, or maybe the asus stix would probably be your best bet. I dont have much experience with the msi version, but i do know that the gigabyte 970 can reach very respectable clocks while staying near the 70's (around 1500 Mhz, which will be much faster than your current setup)

How about the EVGA i was looking at this one (https://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemId=616528)%C2'> or the strix 

I have an nzxt 410 and i have 2 fans at the front of the case, the h80 at the back with both fans blowing out and one fan at the top 

So the H80 is on a push/pull?  You have one exhaust top and two intakes front.  Seems decent enough.  Maybe an intake bottom would alleviate the heat issue.  Is there a vent under the graphics card next to the PSU?

7970 = r9 280x. If you are happy with the fps, go for a gtx 960. About the same performance with a much cooler operation and lower tdp

What's your background?

I want to know it! :P

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

7970 = r9 280x. If you are happy with the fps, go for a gtx 960. About the same performance with a much cooler operation and lower tdp

I don't get this.  If he is happy with the FPS performance, he should NOT buy a new card.  He can try reseating the heatsink with some thermal paste, or try introducing more fresh air to the GPU.  I would not trade down to a GTX 960.

Hey, that vent in the bottom... pop an intake there for direct fresh air to the GPU.  $5 possible solution.

Oh, and do you clean your 7970?  Get the dust out.

Ok i will put a fan there, no i dont, i have done before, but i wasnt quite sure how to... Also can you answer my question on the other post please???

Ok i will put a fan there, no i dont, i have done before, but i wasnt quite sure how to... Also can you answer my question on the other post please???

Use air to clear the dust out of the GPU.  If you have access to an air compressor it is free, if not... you can buy some canned air.  If you have filters on your intake fans, then it might not be too bad.  You can even use your lungs, just don't spit into the GPU  ;)  I used to take my 5850 apart to clean it, and re-apply thermal paste once a year.

Have 3 intakes, two front, one bottom.  2 exhausts:  one top, one rear.

Corsair fans are loud and expensive.  Don't waste your money. 

On radiator you can try a good 120mm that has high static pressure, just one:  http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-case-fan-rocf11004

For case fans, these are great:  http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-fan-r4l2r20arr1

Blue, green, red or no LED.

Use air to clear the dust out of the GPU.  If you have access to an air compressor it is free, if not... you can buy some canned air.  If you have filters on your intake fans, then it might not be too bad.  You can even use your lungs, just don't spit into the GPU  ;)  I used to take my 5850 apart to clean it, and re-apply thermal paste once a year.

Have 3 intakes, two front, one bottom.  2 exhausts:  one top, one rear.

Corsair fans are loud and expensive.  Don't waste your money. 

On radiator you can try a good 120mm that has high static pressure, just one:  http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-case-fan-rocf11004

For case fans, these are great:  http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-fan-r4l2r20arr1

Blue, green, red or no LED.

if i was to change the fans on my corsair h80 should i get a SP120 blowing into the raditator and an AF120 pulling the air through it?????

if i was to change the fans on my corsair h80 should i get a SP120 blowing into the raditator and an AF120 pulling the air through it?????

The reason High static pressure fans are popular is so you don't need to use 2 fans.  Have the Rosewill Hyperborea (like $10) pushing air through the radiator and out of the case...if you can find one. 

One of these will do as well:  http://pcpartpicker.com/part/lepa-case-fan-lpvx12p

I don't get this. If he is happy with the FPS performance, he should NOT buy a new card. He can try reseating the heatsink with some thermal paste, or try introducing more fresh air to the GPU. I would not trade down to a GTX 960.

Well, 7970 is a very hot card and that seems to be his issue. Hes probably throttling as well. Gtx 960 is about the same performance, but much cooler. If he wants to rip open the card, thats his choice. A 970 is also a good idea if i has the money

I personally recommend a GTX 970. My OC'd GTX 970 from Gigabyte Windforce 3x (Not G1 Gaming) is able to run games at 1440p at 52-72FPS on Ultra settings while playng Far Cry 4, and 58 FPS on Battlefield HArdline (Beta) at Ultra settings (But only with Post Anti Aliasing) but the temps are going up to 74°C at a fan speed of 95-100%.

That's an unusually high temp for 90%+ fan speeds. are you running it at 2 ghz or something? xD. My 780ti consumes much more power but stays around the 70C mark with only 60% fan speed.

Maybe a repaste is in order?

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

How about the EVGA i was looking at this one ( or the strix 

I believe Linus has made a roundup of the various 970's, or videos of each at the very least, and you will be able to see how the cards stack up against their competition.

There was controversy around evga's original gtx 970, as they had reused the cooler from the 760 (I personally don't see the problem as the 970 uses less power than the 760), but they soon addressed it by releasing the super-super clocked edition of the 970 with a beefier cooler.

As far as i know the gigabyte version of the card does the best, and stays quite quiet (due to the large cooler), and the strix edition is also not too bad. As stated before im not sure how the msi and evga variants stack up, but in general they would all be fairly close to each other, and just go with the one you can get and the one that would match your build.

That's an unusually high temp for 90%+ fan speeds. are you running it at 2 ghz or something? xD. My 780ti consumes much more power but stays around the 70C mark with only 60% fan speed.

Maybe a repaste is in order?

It's just bicause my PC is overheating... I just OC'd as much I can with my graphic card wich is +110 Power target, +45mV, +180MHz GPU clock, +350MHz Memory clock. I have a CM Silencio 550 case wich hasn't the best airflow (Silent case) and my CPU gets up to 100°C on the stock cooler. I also have quite much dust in my PC, could that  be the problem?

CPU i7 4790 - GPU Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 3x OC - RAM 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury - MOBO Asus B85M-E - Case CM Silencio 550 Storage 2x 1TB WD Red - OS Windows 8.1 OEM - Phone OnePlus One 64GB Sandstone Black

It's just bicause my PC is overheating... I just OC'd as much I can with my graphic card wich is +110 Power target, +45mV, +180MHz GPU clock, +350MHz Memory clock. I have a CM Silencio 550 case wich hasn't the best airflow (Silent case) and my CPU gets up to 100°C on the stock cooler. I also have quite much dust in my PC, could that  be the problem?

100°C on even the CPU with even the stock cooler is quite high... It should be in the range of around 80/85°C, and yes dust could be a large part of that. Even if the case isnt optimized for airflow your components seems to be toasting more that they should be. Maybe move fans around internally to make a channel of air, coming in through the front and exiting out the top, or something along those lines. 

Removing the dust with come compressed air could also help.

Just get the right pressure in your case, negative air pressure will suck in dust from all tiny openings and cracks