[ Case Mod ] Powertosh i5 / Powermac G5 watercooled Hackintosh

perestrojka

Why the phantom ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Ooh man, thats one sexy looking cooler

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Why the phantom ?

Full size / low profile memory and vrm cooler plate.

Custom VRM cooling block would hardly fit in there

PWO8gPyl.jpg

So i will mount it on original cooling plate.

Yeah, I've already dissasembled it ( F*ck the system ! F*ck warranty, we don't need that :) ) because gpu was hitting 85 degrees Celsius at 89% fan speed, now gpu is much cooler and more silent 71 degree Celsisus at 60% fan speed :) Phobya Nano grease FTW :)

So, I've finally catched some spare time and i can continue working on this case.

I/O bracket fixed in place with epoxy resin.

RcvoLvvl.jpg

hn7ieG6l.jpg

Original fan holes section removed.

ppbwv1ol.jpg

I decided to use original CPU cover plate because i can easily drill thru it, also i will drill holes around G5 logo, so letters will remain unpainted / original.

Lo32xoMl.jpg

Drill testing

wYSG82Ol.jpg

Okay, here we go :)

XcU0l13l.jpg

Steps remaining in this project:

* G5 plate drilling

* fixing imperfections on handmade cuts / drillouts / connections 

* psu cable sleeving 

* case sanding / primer coating / painting

ETA remaining: 2 weeks max. ( i hope :) )

Aww yiss looks great. I love G5 casemods.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

So, morning was perfect for de-lid process :) 

Instead of razor blade method or vice and hammer method i used new method, my own :D 

Procedure is the same as razor blade method procedure, but instead of razor blade i used very thin plastic sheet i had from usb drive package. This plastic is perfect for this kind of work, thin, sharp and smooth. 

95ub3XDl.jpg

Liquid Ultra on die

IVE81Bsl.jpg

Liquid Ultra on IHS

ozIFV85l.jpg

With this i got more event temps across all cores 

qAptZ1Pl.jpg

Before de-lid, min / max core difference was 14 degrees Celsisus. 

Note: Currently CPU is cooled with box cooler / i did quick and poor Phobya Nano grease application, so we won't see the real results before i mount watercooling loop and put everything in case. But as far i'am satisfied with lower ΔT across all cores :)  

Before anyone else tries this I feel like I should point out that Coolaboratory Liquid Metal is just that, a liquid metal alloy, and thus conductive. Be VERY careful not to get it near that row of SMD components next to the CPU die.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Before anyone else tries this I feel like I should point out that Coolaboratory Liquid Metal is just that, a liquid metal alloy, and thus conductive. Be VERY careful not to get it near that row of SMD components next to the CPU die.

Correct, that is why i covered smd capacitors with clear nail polish before applying liquid metal ultra ;)

Edit: Also be careful with Haswell cores, as they have extra capatictors near die ( because of FIVR ).  If vice is available to anyone who would like to de-lid, I can encourage them to use that method, it is more "safer" than razor blade method.

Correct, that is why i covered smd capacitors with clear nail polish before applying liquid metal ultra ;)

I did mine with liquid electrical tape, 2 coats http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-4-fl-oz-Liquid-Electrical-Tape-Black-LTB-400/100119178

edit- also a damn fine job on the perforation ,could you go in to the process on how you did it please!

going to do mine in another year or 2, going to make it in to a amd work station. If amd zen cpu's deliver 

Anything non conductive will do :) Liquid electrical tape is absolute perfection for this kind of job, but unfortunately i only had mom's nail polish available at this time :D :D 

For perforation stencil i used piece of original case that was cut out from back of it.

ZH9MswSl.jpg

So every time i had to align this mesh with original holes and mount it in place with few screws. Then i powered on Dremel tool on maximum speed ( ~33000 RPM ), and put tiny amount of water on area i wanted to drill for lubrication / cooling. After that i simply did hole by hole hand drilling :)

Also i used musical motivation during this work

:)

Anything non conductive will do :) Liquid electrical tape is absolute perfection for this kind of job, but unfortunately i only had mom's nail polish available at this time :D :D 

For perforation stencil i used piece of original case that was cut out from back of it.

So every time i had to align this mesh with original holes and mount it in place with few screws. Then i powered on Dremel tool on maximum speed ( ~33000 RPM ), and put tiny amount of water on area i wanted to drill for lubrication / cooling. After that i simply did hole by hole hand drilling :)

Also i used musical motivation during this work

Thanks

nice that is exactly how I was going to do it ,great minds think alike :)

Thanks

nice that is exactly how I was going to do it ,great minds think alike :)

Indeed :D 

Just be careful, and use 3mm ( 0.12" / #31 ) drill bit.

I used slightly larger drill bit, so holes aren't so perfect in size and stencil piece got worn out quickly ( holes became larger and it was harder to do a perfect hole in fresh sheet of material ) and don't forget to lubricate / properly cool your drill bit / material.

Double / triple check everything before drilling and you are good to go :)

Man your drilling skills are insane, i can't even believe that this is a custom case but i know it is. Good job, take an upvo- Oh wait this isn't imgur. 

Nice progress :)

Thanks man, i appreciate your support thru whole worklog :)

Man your drilling skills are insane, i can't even believe that this is a custom case but i know it is. Good job, take an upvo- Oh wait this isn't imgur. 

Well images are hosted on imgur? :D 

Oh boy :D

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Thanks man, i appreciate your support thru whole worklog :)

I just commented here and there, don't mention it. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler