Patriot Stellar topping at 16Mb/s, should be 110Mb/s

zacRupnow

I just got a 32Gb Patriot Stellar and Patriot claims I should be getting write speeds of up too 110Mb per second but Mine starts out at up to 36Mb/s and after a second or two drops to 16Mb/s max and sometimes dips lower (never lower than 3Mb/s) but mostly stays at 16Mb/s.

How can I get faster speeds?

Is there some sort of optimization I need to use? Maybe a different partition format?

Here is the current and default format.

Patriot Usb

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

It's more then likely being limited by your main disk , if your main hard drive can't write as fast as the usb the sub will be throttled essentially.

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

try formatting it to NTFS , not fat32

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

It's more then likely being limited by your main disk , if your main hard drive can't write as fast as the usb the sub will be throttled essentially.

Even HDDs are in the 150 MB/s range and the OP is using SSDs. So that's not the problem. 

What kind of files are you transferring? Try transferring one really large file, and make sure that it is plugged into USB 3.0

I have noticed with my USB 3 drive that many smaller files transfer at about the same speed as an older 2.0 drive, but much larger files like a movie go super fast. 

I once got my little kingston drive that is rated at 90 mb/s to 130 mb/s.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

I ony have SSDs

I'll try but (not important enough to sacrifice speed) I would like it to be compatible with PC and Mac

Didn't really change much, average of 16Mb/s

Are you using USB 3.0? How full is the drive? 

Yes, Not full at all, I copy a few movies on and some projects but always delete them when I'm done.

What kind of files are you transferring? Try transferring one really large file, and make sure that it is plugged into USB 3.0

I have noticed with my USB 3 drive that many smaller files transfer at about the same speed as an older 2.0 drive, but much larger files like a movie go super fast. 

I once got my little kingston drive that is rated at 90 mb/s to 130 mb/s.

Almost exclusively video, occasionally some pictures and audio projects.

Didn't really change much, average of 16Mb/s

Yes, Not full at all, I copy a few movies on and some projects but always delete them when I'm done.

Almost exclusively video, occasionally some pictures and audio projects.

Make sure you have the latest drivers

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

No drivers.

No, your motherboards USB 3 drivers.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

No, your motherboards USB 3 drivers.

That's all current, I checked to make sure since you mentioned it, otherwise I have a MSI board so I let Live Update 6 take care of it.

That's all current, I checked to make sure since you mentioned it, otherwise I have a MSI board so I let Live Update 6 take care of it.

Hmm. One more thing, does it act the same way in other machines? 

If so, i would say either the data you are transferring is the issue, or the drive is bad. 

Check reviews to see if anyone else is having this issue. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

Thought this may be a solution, nope I still start at good speeds lasting only a second and then it goes gown to 16Mb/s

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/optimize-data-transfer-speed-external-drives/