which GPU for my 1080p based build?

So i am getting a PC in two weeks and i am finalising it now but i am not sure which GPU to buy. i am currently looking to max games at 1080p for recent games and a fair few in the future. I am looking at the 290X, the 290 and the 970. I am not really seeing a reason for the 290x due to the similar performance to 970 at 1080p but at a hotter temp and more power consumption, but i thought it was a good idea to put out there. 

290X - https://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-912v308001

290 - https://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-912v308002

970 - https://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx970gaming4g

i am not set on buying an MSI card, they just match the colour theme i have of red and black in my build (no gpu yet) --> http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/gFkZvK

I would prefer not to spend any more than the MSI 970 @ $525 AUD. i have looked at benchmarks and was just wondering if there would be a bad performance difference at 1080p between the 970 and others. the only reason im really considering this is because if i dont need to spend an additional $100 why should i?

970. Because (30 degrees C ambient) I have a 290x and im living in SG (33 degrees C ambient right now) Im not a smart man..... My 290x is idling now at 45C

Australia

Australia

Australia

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

Go for a G1 970.

I'd get the 290x or 290 if you are not planning to cf or SLI. Why? 4GB that's why! Some games like CoD AW are already maxing out 4gb of vram at 1080p now from high rez textures. You can only expect that to happen more in near future. That extra 500mb of vram compared to 970 is gonna help.

i would but its $550 atm. its definitely my first choice.

It was about $500 when I got it, looks like they have gone up. I suggest you get the Windforce card then, I pretty sure it is the same cooler.

I'd get the 290x or 290 if you are not planning to cf or SLI. Why? 4GB that's why! Some games like CoD AW and BF4 are already maxing out 4gb of vram at 1080p now from high rez textures. You can only expect that to happen more in near future. That extra 500mb of vram compared to 970 is gonna help.

Just playing the game at the recommended settings in Geforce Experience, I only use up to about 2.5GB (BF4). I don't see how you would use that much?

I'd get the 290x or 290 if you are not planning to cf or SLI. Why? 4GB that's why! Some games like CoD AW and BF4 are already maxing out 4gb of vram at 1080p now from high rez textures. You can only expect that to happen more in near future. That extra 500mb of vram compared to 970 is gonna help.

I may not have cod aw installed but I do have bf4. even when I scale down to 1080p and disable my sli with my gpu having 6gb it's not even going near 3.3gb even at 200% scale all shit maxed out (no v-sync)

for everyone else

edit: btw 970 is still a decent card for 1080p which is still a fact only fagboiz says otherwise. and no I kinda like amd more but cuda is what I use a lot.

Live your life like a dream.

It was about $500 when I got it, looks like they have gone up. I suggest you get the Windforce card then, I pretty sure it is the same cooler.

What would be the big differences that the average consumer would notice between the MSI 970 and the 3x windforce? just out of interest and thanks for the replies too

I'd get the 290x or 290 if you are not planning to cf or SLI. Why? 4GB that's why! Some games like CoD AW and BF4 are already maxing out 4gb of vram at 1080p now from high rez textures. You can only expect that to happen more in near future. That extra 500mb of vram compared to 970 is gonna help.[/]

I don't own AW so I can't say anything there but BF4 never goes above 2.2 gigs for me so not sure where you're getting that from.

What would be the big differences that the average consumer would notice between the MSI 970 and the 3x windforce? just out of interest and thanks for the replies too

if you're talking about the average dude. pretty much non at all.

but if you're talking about a sensetive guy who likes to check stuff then probably in temp

also that's all besides the looks of it.

I'd get the 290x or 290 if you are not planning to cf or SLI. Why? 4GB that's why! Some games like CoD AW and BF4 are already maxing out 4gb of vram at 1080p now from high rez textures. You can only expect that to happen more in near future. That extra 500mb of vram compared to 970 is gonna help.[/]

I don't own AW so I can't say anything there but BF4 never goes above 2.2 gigs for me so not sure where you're getting that from.

This is true mate he must have sniffed some used napkin or something.

@ValuedBuffalo

Since it has only the 2 fans it would run a bit hotter and noisier under load. It is however quieter at idle because the fans don't turn on until the GPU reaches a certain temp and it looks pretty good IMO.

so its looking to be between these three

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/gigabyte-video-card-gvn970g1gaming4gd%2Cgigabyte-video-card-gvn970wf3oc4gd%2Cmsi-video-card-gtx970gaming4g/

i guess if i can find a G1 at a really good price at a local shop il get that but if not i should get the 3x cuz of heating/cooling problems that occur when the temperature outside is 50c?

So the 970 runs a bit cooler and gets about 10+ more frames (at 1080p 60hz yuo wont be able to see....) and costs $100 more? I would say pick up a 290 bud but that is just me, i cant justify spending that much for "cooler tempatures"

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

So the 970 runs a bit cooler and gets about 10+ more frames (at 1080p 60hz you wont be able to see....) and costs $100 more? I would say pick up a 290 bud but that is just me, i cant justify spending that much for "cooler temperatures"

in Australia cooling is very very very (did i emphasise the very?) important because it is unbelievably hot here in the summer and to keep the 290 as cool/close to i would need to invest in fans to which would probably cost the same, but your argument is the reason i first considered it.

in Australia cooling is very very very (did i emphasise the very?) important because it is unbelievably hot here in the summer and to keep the 290 as cool/close to i would need to invest in fans to which would probably cost the same, but your argument is the reason i first considered it.

I live in southern california and it does get stuffy after playing arma for a bit when its 80+ out, so i do see where you are coming from. Either way enjoy your new gpu dude!

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

I live in southern california and it does get stuffy after playing arma for a bit when its 80+ out, so i do see where you are coming from. Either way enjoy your new gpu dude!

not trying to be a dou**e or anything but thats not even 30c... thats a normal day here where i live and a hot day ti will reach 40-45 which is like 110-120 for you... just sayin

so i've decided to get the G1 gaming for $540 and decided to get one less fan to ecen out the price.

http://www.msy.com.au/wa/cannington/pc-components/14564-gigabyte-n970-g1-gaming-4gd-4g-gtx-970-g1-gaming-pci-e-vga-card.html

it is a shop i can drive to also so there is no shipping :D

Great card the G1, have fun! And mark your own post with your choice as solved, so you won't get any new answers ;)

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

You really dont need more than 2GB GPU for 1080p!

550w is not enough for your build!

You should go for a cheap after market CPU cooler!

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

You really dont need more than 2GB GPU for 1080p!

550w is not enough for your build!

You should go for a cheap after market CPU cooler!

Since a lot of games in the future are using more and more Vram at higher settings, which is what i am aiming for, i wouldn't want to upgrade my gpu in a year if i bought a 2gb one thats out now, so thats why i have opted for 4gb 970 G1 gaming. what PSU would you suggest at a similar price that has enough or simplay what wattage should i be aiming for? 600? 650?

i have a 212 EVO on the list and im not sure why you didnt see it...

I've got an MSI 970 and its honestly a beast at 1080p, the differences between the 3x windforce and MSI would be minimal. Even cooling isnt an issue, ive overclocked mine quite substantially and set the limit to 70 degrees c, and it runs fine, so even cooling isnt different

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic